WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

The reason vinegar works is because most of the blockage (if not in silty areas) is because of mineral deposits in the filter, which is even worse when allowed to dry out...just like on your shower head. Those things build up but because the pores are so small on the Sawyer (and any filter like it) it takes a minuscule amount of mineral deposits to affect performance. This is science and shouldn't require a warning on the label from Sawyer... just a bit of common sense and logic

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    The reason vinegar works is because most of the blockage (if not in silty areas) is because of mineral deposits in the filter, which is even worse when allowed to dry out...just like on your shower head. Those things build up but because the pores are so small on the Sawyer (and any filter like it) it takes a minuscule amount of mineral deposits to affect performance. This is science and shouldn't require a warning on the label from Sawyer... just a bit of common sense and logic
    Yes, but did you read the full thread?

The perplexing aspect mentioned upthread is where do these mineral deposits come from if you have consistently backflushed with distilled water before storing the Mini. Do you have a hypothesis for this?

Our speculation thus far is that the backflush process may not remove all mineral-laden water from the filter.

Note: Sawyer doesn't even say to use distilled water for backflushing prior to storage; they merely recommend a bleach solution. But you can make a bleach solution with distilled water, too.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

That may be common sense and logic to someone who's been around hard water AND understands how these filters work.
    But that's NOT the general population.
    Not to mention, we've been raising a generation this is different than the one before.

I'm a member of the "Hiking the Smokies" facebook group, and I kid you not when I say the following two questions were asked last night:

1. "I have a question since cell phone service is nonexistent in the smokies what do you do in case of an emergency?"
    2. "Id like to ask one hell of of a ignorant question... where do you pee when you go for a hike?"

The good news here is that filters are cheap,particularly when compared to other things we all use.And they are Very lightweight which is why I carry a spare that has never been used just in case an issue arises with my primary filter.

I've tried the Sawyer Squeeze,Mini,and Micro.I liked them all just fine until I tried the Versa Flow Hydroblue filter.
    It has an amazing flow rate,works either in line or attached to any water bag and a Smart Water bottle without the use of special sleeves as it has a female connection on each end.Some say it's not recommended for use with a water bottle as a lifestraw configuration though because it has to be attached very tightly not to leak under that scenario.I don't do that any way as I filter either with the filter at the end of the hose attached to a clean water bottle or straight from a bag to the bottle.

One of the advantages to the Hydroblue is that it has color coded end covers so you don't put it on backwards and you can put them on when not in use so it won't leak in your pocket when you sleep with it on cold nights.It requires no syringe for backwashing either,just remove the dirty water bag and invert the water bottle and let it backflush with a gentle squeeze on the bottle.I also like the the overall profile as it is larger than the Mini,smaller than the Squeeze,and a little more user friendly than the Micro.Weighs 2 oz.
    Price-about $22 on Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by Time Zone View Post
    Yes, but did you read the full thread?

The perplexing aspect mentioned upthread is where do these mineral deposits come from if you have consistently backflushed with distilled water before storing the Mini. Do you have a hypothesis for this?

Our speculation thus far is that the backflush process may not remove all mineral-laden water from the filter.

Note: Sawyer doesn't even say to use distilled water for backflushing prior to storage; they merely recommend a bleach solution. But you can make a bleach solution with distilled water, too.
    Since they are deposits I'm guessing that backflushing with distilled water isn't going to make a difference as they are already attached to the filter. Using high pressure through a shower head doesn't get rid of mineral deposits so the same theory would apply to backflushing. Bleach is merely to prevent bacterial growth. Vinegar actually dissolves the deposits so they can be flushed out. I forgot to flush the vinegar out of mine before a hike in Utah two years ago...ugh...bit of a shock. Had to filter a second batch.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    I've tried the Sawyer Squeeze,Mini,and Micro.I liked them all just fine until I tried the Versa Flow Hydroblue filter.
    ...Price-about $22 on Amazon.
    Had not hear of this filter, so I googled it and found https://sectionhiker.com/hydroblu-ve...filter-review/
    But I was rather disappointed because the article "claims" the filter is better than Sawyer (yet they both use the same technology) and then they engage in deception...
    They compare the price of the Hydroblue to the Sawyer SQUEEZE, but then compare the size of the Hydroblue to the Sawyer Mini.

And the price for the Sawyer Mini is $20 at your local Walmart.

Given that you have to pay attention to the color coding to make sure you don't hook it up backwards (something the shape of the Sawyer makes it near impossible to do), I can't say that Hydroblue is any better... just someone who has copied the Sawyer with their own twist. {Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery}.

I will say the one think I've goofed up on the Sawyer is that when it comes to backflushing my Micro, I've occasionally tried to flush it from the wrong end.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Since they are deposits I'm guessing that backflushing with distilled water isn't going to make a difference as they are already attached to the filter...
    That's where I think weather and winter storage come into play.
    While you're in the field, especially in a humid environment, the water inside the filter doesn't evaporate and therefore the minerals mostly stay suspended in the water. Backflushing with distilled water while the filter is still wet should remove most of the minerals.

That's also why I think my Sawyer mini has diminished flow issues while on the JMT. The weather was MUCH drier than I normally hike in, so the water in the filter had more opportunity to evaporate and leave mineral deposits behind during the day... and then my back-flushing was with the exact same mineral water I had previous run thru the filter.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Had not hear of this filter, so I googled it and found https://sectionhiker.com/hydroblu-ve...filter-review/
    But I was rather disappointed because the article "claims" the filter is better than Sawyer (yet they both use the same technology) and then they engage in deception...
    They compare the price of the Hydroblue to the Sawyer SQUEEZE, but then compare the size of the Hydroblue to the Sawyer Mini.

And the price for the Sawyer Mini is $20 at your local Walmart.

Given that you have to pay attention to the color coding to make sure you don't hook it up backwards (something the shape of the Sawyer makes it near impossible to do), I can't say that Hydroblue is any better... just someone who has copied the Sawyer with their own twist. {Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery}.

I will say the one think I've goofed up on the Sawyer is that when it comes to backflushing my Micro, I've occasionally tried to flush it from the wrong end.
    That's the thing about the Micro-it does hot have the "dummy arrow" like the Squeeze and Mini;plus it requires a sleeve to attach it to a water bottle.As for being a "knock off", the Versa Flow is more a knock off of the Katadyn BeFree filter from what I can see thru the observation slot on the side of the filter.

My personal experience with the Katadyn BeFree was dismal despite the rave reviews it got from lots of people,mine was a loser from the start.All my Sawyers have performed fine,but so far my limited experience with the Hydroblu Versa Flow has been off the charts good.If it changes I will post a review.
    Here is a comparative review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8B2U9L4MCI
    Last edited by Five Tango; 06-05-2020 at 14:55.

My mini's have worked great 95% of the time, but when they haven't it's like they've died a sudden death. It's either filter or total stoppage. I learned the hard way to carry the backflush syringe. Backflushing has not failed me yet. Freezing, on the other hand, is why I store it in my front pocket in the winter months.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Just to add some data-points to the theories...I used a Sawyer Mini for a JMT thru hike. ...So I started to surmise that the dry air out west was allowing more of the water in the filter to evaporate than I ever encounter in the humid south. And given that I was often walking on granite, I'm pretty sure that water was hard.
    I have a Hydro Blue Versa Flow. Basically like a Sawyer, but with a couple advantages. It has caps on both ends so it won't dry out during daily use. Also has female bottle threads on both ends so it is easy the back flush with no syringe or adaptor needed.

Leonidas

The mini is known to be terrible period. You hear of plenty of people that have tried the mini that the flow is abysmal sometimes upon the first use. I have never used a mini because of all the bad reviews.
    I have been using the same Sawyer Squeeze for 3-4 years now, with minimal flow reduction and it has been backflushed once. I generally store it in a ziplock on trips and in storage so maybe that helps?
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++