WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default PA Section Hike advice

Hey folks, I’m looking for a little local advice. A friend and I were thinking of driving down to Pennsylvania sometime in the last two weeks of April for a short section hike. Thinking 4 days, 3 nights. I have a friend who lives in Coplay, PA, which looks near Lehigh Gap, who can help us with a car spot/shuttle. Where would be a good start and finish? Is direction an issue? Would it be better to do a section unrelated to closeness to Coplay? We’re both in our early 60’s and do most of our hiking in Maine. I figure we can do 10-mile days. Thanks for your help! - HB

If I were coming from Maine, I’d start at Delaware water gap as it’s closer and relatively nice. I think wind gap is close to 19 miles which gives you a motel option if you want it.

Start/end points of the Hamburg Reservoir (Windsor Furnace Shelter) and the road crossing in Little Gap in Danielsville would be right around 40 miles. That trip would include Pulpit Rock and the Pinnacle as well as the climb out of Lehigh Gap. That climb is best done NOBO. There is a big game commission parking lot at Little Gap that is sometimes chained off. If so there is still room for a few cars to park off the road. I left a car there for three days with no problems.

North of Duncannon = rocks, south not too bad.

Thanks for the advice! I like the idea of starting at the border and just heading south. We'll see where we end up and take advantage of my local buddy for a ride.

DWG to Wind Gap is the worst section of the PA to hike - 20 miles of ankle twisting loose rocks. The section around Lehigh valley is nice and offers the best views, which are generally lacking in PA. PenMar (PA/MD line) to Boiling Springs is the easiest section.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

++ New Posts ++