WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by FreeGoldRush View Post
    No, you do not have to camp at the shelters in the Smokies. Some of us hiked straight thru without stopping just so we could avoid their camping rules. Yes, I am proud of those insanely big miles and the opportunity to legally rebel against their rules and the people who insisted (incorrectly) that I’d be camping at the shelters.

So there are legal alternatives but I realize it isn’t for everyone.
    Not sure "following the rule" can count as rebelling...

But given the number of rule breakers I see in GSMNP, I appreciate you following them.

The good news is that, for now, the park is allowing everyone (with a permit) to set up tents near the shelters {like the "over-follow" of thru hikers is normally allowed} as a part of "Social Distancing".
    The bad news for legitimate AT thur hikers, the park isn't issuing thru hiker permits. You've got to get shelter reservations like "regular" backpackers do.

No, you do not have to camp at the shelters in the Smokies. Some of us hiked straight thru without stopping just so we could avoid their camping rules. Yes, I am proud of those insanely big miles and the opportunity to legally rebel against their rules and the people who insisted (incorrectly) that I’d be camping at the shelters.

So what kind of mileage did you do, just out of curiosity?

Probably because I've had only good experiences so far, but I actually have liked sleeping in the shelters. I have a bad back and have trouble sleeping, so the flatness and levelness of the floors of the shelters was good for me. And again because I've had good experience with shelter mates, I actually found it comforting to have the other people there out in the middle of the pitch black woods at night haha

I do have a tent in case they are full and I need to stealth somewhere.

Question re etiquette for shelters in GSMNP...I know they require reservations, which I am planning to make...but there have been stories of shelters having double the amount of people allowed and not room in them....so if I have a reservation, and I get to a shelter, and it's full, with people who don't have reservations, is it proper to ask someone to give their spot up? I mean, technically yes, but in real life seems like that wouldn't fly??

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Hang your food far from your campsite.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by appstate_mj View Post
    So what kind of mileage did you do, just out of curiosity?

Probably because I've had only good experiences so far, but I actually have liked sleeping in the shelters. I have a bad back and have trouble sleeping, so the flatness and levelness of the floors of the shelters was good for me. And again because I've had good experience with shelter mates, I actually found it comforting to have the other people there out in the middle of the pitch black woods at night haha

I do have a tent in case they are full and I need to stealth somewhere.

Question re etiquette for shelters in GSMNP...I know they require reservations, which I am planning to make...but there have been stories of shelters having double the amount of people allowed and not room in them....so if I have a reservation, and I get to a shelter, and it's full, with people who don't have reservations, is it proper to ask someone to give their spot up? I mean, technically yes, but in real life seems like that wouldn't fly??
    First of all, given that a good bit of the hike listed by the OP is in GSMNP, "stealth" camping is illegal in GSMNP, and is currently not necessary given that EVERYONE can currently tent at shelters.

As for having a reservation at a shelter and showing up at the shelter and it's full... that's just ONE of the many reasons you bring a shelter (tent, tarp) with you.
    If that many people WANT to stay in a shelter, that means someone is there illegally... and I'm not about to confront someone, who clearly doesn't mind breaking the rules, while I'm miles into the back country.
    That's when I'm going to set my tent up outside the shelter. If a ridge runner or park ranger comes along, I'm going to show them my permit, explain that "for my personal safety", I'm not going to confront rule breakers in the back country, and that I'll gladly pack up my tent and more to the shelter as soon as they evict the guilty parties from the shelter.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Viking View Post
    Hang your food far from your campsite.
    But NOT while in GSMNP.
    At every campsite are bear cables. When people use them properly, we don't get campsites shut down "due to bear activity".

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    But NOT while in GSMNP.
    At every campsite are bear cables. When people use them properly, we don't get campsites shut down "due to bear activity".
    True. Namely I40 to Hot Springs. Bears tend to think hikers in hammocks are toys or food bags.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Images

so what's it like hiking for 35 hours straight through?

and yeah.....i dont see how this is a "rebel" move when you still followed the rules, but oh, well........

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    and yeah.....i dont see how this is a "rebel" move when you still followed the rules, but oh, well........
    Given all the crap that's been going on in the park (especially during that 1st open "phase"), following rules IS sort of a rebellion.

Doing this section next week. Got myself going from Cosby to "Painter's Branch" one night. Anyone know what that place is like?
    Got it from Guthook.
    At 67 YO, that is around 13 miles, a long day for an old guy with henky knees. But not so bad as continuing that climb.

Doing this section next week. Got myself going from Cosby to "Painter's Branch" one night. Anyone know what that place is like?<br>Got it from Guthook. <br>At 67 YO, that is around 13 miles, a long day for an old guy with henky knees. But not so bad as continuing that climb.<br><br>

Quote Originally Posted by EMAN View Post
    Doing this section next week. Got myself going from Cosby to "Painter's Branch" one night. Anyone know what that place is like?<br>Got it from Guthook. <br>At 67 YO, that is around 13 miles, a long day for an old guy with henky knees. But not so bad as continuing that climb.<br><br>
    Painter Branch is a nice camp area. I stayed there June 5th while doing Newfound Gap to Hot Springs. Couple spots right by the creek but if you cross the creek and go upstream
    even more.

I am looking at parking in Hot Springs. Is the area near the FS road still ok? Another suggestion?

Any of the hotels/hostels/inns in Hot Springs allow you to park you car there for a few days (even if for a fee, I'll pay)...I'm going to park there, shuttle to NFG, and hike back to the car...any advice re parking in Hot Springs?

Walnut mtn shelter is crap. One of my worst AT nights were there. Crap structure, crap water, crap privy, not much flat for tenting, and if the wind is blasting on Nax Patch, itll be blasting there too.

Images

Hopefully it will change by August but currently Sevier County is a Covid19 hot spot. Sevierville and Pigeon Forge are among the highest cases per 10,000 residents per capita in Tennessee. Newfound Gap can get very crowded by noon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++