Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-02-2011
    Location
    Neptune Beach, Fl
    Age
    45
    Posts
    6,156

    Default Nobo JMT half dome permit?

    The YNP site is confusing when your backcountry permit is issued outside Yosemite...ie SEKI....if you didnít put in for the early lottery, we missed. You get a day hike permit but must apply 2 days prior to when you want to do HD.....not feasible as will be near thousand island lakes two days prior...plan is to camp near CR and do both the last day of our nobo hike. I donít recall having any cell service at even Donahue pass....since 2015 when did JMT last Iíve switched to Verizon so maybe will have service. Only section AT&T had service last time I found was just past vvr after the miserable climb and switchbacks...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2

    Default

    Probably doesn't help with you HD logistics... but we had ATT service on the valley rim just beyond Lower Cathedral Lake last year. Great place to spend the night as well.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-02-2011
    Location
    Neptune Beach, Fl
    Age
    45
    Posts
    6,156

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ADK Walker View Post
    Probably doesn't help with you HD logistics... but we had ATT service on the valley rim just beyond Lower Cathedral Lake last year. Great place to spend the night as well.
    I must not have tried when I passed through in 2015...did filter some water there....worst tasting water Iíve had!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    GSMNP 900 Miler
    Join Date
    02-25-2007
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Age
    53
    Posts
    4,483
    Journal Entries
    1
    Images
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    The YNP site is confusing when your backcountry permit is issued outside Yosemite
    The following website seems to be pretty clear:
    https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvis...ildpermits.htm
    If your wilderness permit was issued by someone other than Yosemite... your ONLY way to get a half-dome permit is to use one of the lotteries (Preseason or Daily).
    As you say, you're past the point for the preseason lottery, so your ONLY choice is the Daily lottery.

    You say that it is not feasible given the time you need to enter the lottery, you will be near Thousand Island Lakes.
    Is there someone who could enter the lottery on your behalf? Perhaps you could contact them from Red's to let them know what date to start trying to enter you in the lottery.

    I seem to recall I could use my cell phone in Tuolumne Meadows. Once there, you could use your phone to see if you won the lottery.

    The only question I would have (based on reading the Half-Dome Permit Page is "How do you get your permit?". Is it an electronic permit or something that must be done in person?
    Hopefully, either way, you would be able to get such permit once you reach Tuolumne Meadows (if you won).

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-02-2011
    Location
    Neptune Beach, Fl
    Age
    45
    Posts
    6,156

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    The following website seems to be pretty clear:
    https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvis...ildpermits.htm
    If your wilderness permit was issued by someone other than Yosemite... your ONLY way to get a half-dome permit is to use one of the lotteries (Preseason or Daily).
    As you say, you're past the point for the preseason lottery, so your ONLY choice is the Daily lottery.

    You say that it is not feasible given the time you need to enter the lottery, you will be near Thousand Island Lakes.
    Is there someone who could enter the lottery on your behalf? Perhaps you could contact them from Red's to let them know what date to start trying to enter you in the lottery.

    I seem to recall I could use my cell phone in Tuolumne Meadows. Once there, you could use your phone to see if you won the lottery.

    The only question I would have (based on reading the Half-Dome Permit Page is "How do you get your permit?". Is it an electronic permit or something that must be done in person?
    Hopefully, either way, you would be able to get such permit once you reach Tuolumne Meadows (if you won).
    Iím not sure where I got my info but yours in much clearer! Thanks for sharing! Good ideas...Iíll get my wife to apply for us. I canít seem to recall if I had service at Tuolumne meadows....I was busy stuffing my face at the grill!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •