WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

Default Accessories for Hennessy Ultralite Backpacker Classic

I'm looking into investing into a new hammock or building out a setup with my Hennessy Ultralite Backpacker Classic. Has anyone turned this model into a reliable 3-4 season shelter? I see all the "Super Shelter" stuff on Hennessy's site but am more interested in learning how to add variety to my hammock knowledge and purchase options.

What would be a reliable tarp/rainfly for this system? Is this something I can just base on dimensions or is there a vendor compatibility issue here? The goal would be full coverage in heavy rain on multi-day trips.

Is an underquilt system available for this hammock (velcro bottom opening?) I've tried pads, that's just a no-go.

How annoying is the rope suspension system to tie/loosen in say...Georgia in Februrary?

Teetering on whether to go the Warbonnet route here or stick with what I've got. I really do love this hammock, it just can't handle beyond a sprinkle with the standard fly.

Thanks good people!

The underquilt that works with Hennessy bottom entry is the Jacks R Better nest. I like mine a lot. I do not have a large tarp yet so others can speak for the tarp issue.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tuxhiker View Post
    The underquilt that works with Hennessy bottom entry is the Jacks R Better nest. I like mine a lot. I do not have a large tarp yet so others can speak for the tarp issue.
    excellent. will investigate. thank you

You will find LOTS of good information on hammockforums.net.There are videos on You Tube which will instruct you how to convert your HH from the ropes to continuous loops which will allow numerous kinds of suspensions that are much easier to use.Check out Dutchwaregear.com,Warbonnet.com,etc.Also check out 2QZQ as you might want to do a zipper mod on your hammock which would allow you to use any underquilt at that point.Or you could just buy a different hammock.There are too many options to mention here but hammock forums is the place to start.Plenty or tarp information there also.

I plan, therefore I am Strategic's Avatar
    Images

I've used a HH Ultralight for years and love it. To answer some of your questions:

For the fly, get a good 11' or 12' hex fly and hang it separately over the hammock when you set up. This has the advantage that you can hang the fly first and makes setup in bad weather much easier and better (and drier.) Go for the lightest fly you can buy or make. I made my own from .6oz polycarbonate coated polyester (kite fabric similar to Icarex) and it's been fantastic. You can find a host of DIY hex fly patterns, especially good catenary cut ones, online or at hammockforums. A hex fly will give you the coverage you need to be able to stay dry in just about any weather. Use dyneema lines and figure 9's for tie-outs. If you use a fabric like cuben or polyester, you won't need tensioners since they don't stretch like nylon.

For an underquilt, there are a lot of good options on the market and good DIY patterns on the web. The real trick is to use one that's suspended by bungee cords so that you can shift it out of the way as you get in and out of the hammock. If it's hung correctly, it will snap back into place once you're in. Again, I made my own to a pattern (I only have it on paper, unfortunately) that followed the asym lines of the Ultralight, but that's not really necessary.

For hang systems, you'll want to ditch the native HH system. I went to a strap-hang system that's really simple and much more adaptable when it comes to distance between hang points and size of trees. It's basically two long polypro straps (Strapworks is your friend for this) with sewn loops at the end just big enough to hold Dutch clips (for hammock hardware, Dutchware is the place to go) at the tree end. The free end goes through cinch buckles that are on short strap leads that are tied onto the hammock by the stub ends of the original ropes. This kind of system makes hanging extremely easy. If you don't mind going more complicated, you can go lighter by using a whoopie sling system, but I've always found them less adaptable than a strap system.

So there are certainly things to do to make your Ultralight better (and all-weather) while keeping that incredible comfort that is the hallmark of a Hennessy hammock. As other have said, go check out the Hennessy section on Hammockforums and you'll find a wealth of information.
    Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Warbonnetoutdoors.com is a great place to check out tarps. If you're getting just one, the Superfly offers the most coverage, but you can still fold back the doors in fair weather. I agree with Strategic on using figure 9's with the tarp - Dutchware might be lighter, but the figure 9's are larger and easier to work with. You could replace the HH suspension with strap/buckle combo available from Warbonnet.

I liked my HH, but switched to a Warbonnet Blackbird years ago. Now I'm Warbonnet all the way: hammock, tarp, underquilt, topquilt.

Hammock forums is great, too, but so much information you can get lost.

Images

Fantastic feedback here, thank you all. I've been to hammockforums and appreciate the WB community getting me rolling. Lots of research to do!

++ New Posts ++