WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Access to The Priest area.

Doing a section heading south with two adults much younger than I. It involves the 3K climb up from Tye River. AWOL Guide mentions three possible access points to The Priest: VA 826, ("not easily passable"), Cash Hollow Road, Spy Rock Road.

I was thinking I could take a shuttle and meet them at the Priest or elsewhere in that area. How worthwhile is it considering these access points on the A T. That way they could hike their own pace and we all might be a bit happier. They are very patient, I should mention.

Shuttle suggestions?

Thank you.

Spy Rock road is pretty rough too, need high clearance vehicle. 4WD is probably a good idea too.

I remember walking that road to Montebello 10 years ago and it was rough then. Which might be your best option. As a hike, it wasn't too bad and is only a couple of miles. Even though you skip the big climb out of the Tye River, that's still a pretty bumpy and strenuous section all the way to Glasgow. But there is one nice stretch along a river after descending from the RT 60 crossing.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by PGH1NC View Post
    Doing a section heading south with two adults much younger than I. It involves the 3K climb up from Tye River. AWOL Guide mentions three possible access points to The Priest: VA 826, ("not easily passable"), Cash Hollow Road, Spy Rock Road.

I was thinking I could take a shuttle and meet them at the Priest or elsewhere in that area. How worthwhile is it considering these access points on the A T. That way they could hike their own pace and we all might be a bit happier. They are very patient, I should mention.

Shuttle suggestions?

Thank you.
    I've managed to go up VA 826 twice. Once in my own car (a RAV4 with 2wd) and once in a shuttle, which I don't think had 4wd. I know a guy that took a minivan there also. I wouldn't recommend it with only 2wd though. Too chancy due to any recent weather event.

If you hire a shuttle, make sure they are familiar with the area and are confident they can get you there. You actually would probably stop about 0.5 miles from the top where there is a small parking area.

I don't think you can easily make it up Spy Rock Road in a car either, but you can walk up it from the fish hatchery. It's a good climb. I think only around 900', which is much easier than the Priest.

Images

If you don't want to do the climb from the The river, park at the Fish Hatchery and hike in. Still uphill but not as long.

Journal Entries
    Images

The upper parking of Crabtree Falls is great access point to The Priest - it is a little rough getting up there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJH57tchvjk
    Quote Originally Posted by PGH1NC View Post

Shuttle suggestions?

Thank you.
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

++ New Posts ++