WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default HikeGoo vs Sock/toe liners (Blister Prevention)

I have never used either of these but its been a long time since I finished at Katahdin and my feet/toes are softer than valuer nowadays. I am concerned about my feet and the feet of my flatlander friend. Anybody vouch for either of these preventative measures? Anyone combined the two to form like Voltron to blisterproof your trip?

I have really good luck with Trail Toes cream and a pair of Darn Tough Lite Crew socks. I tried the toe socks and they weren't my thing.

I've found that HikeGoo, and WalkGoo perform miracles on my dry and callused feet. I tried sock liners a few times, but found that they made my feet feel too hot, and didn't really help with foot care for me. The HikeGoo lasts for a couple days of lots of walking without needing to be renewed. The WalkGoo has a slightly different combination of ingredients which I prefer if I have opportunity to replace it each day. Through lots of years of ultrarunning and hiking I've found these to be definitely the best products for me. Hot spots don't tend to appear as often, and my feet have a better overall health.
    Trail name Catnapper

Journal Entries
    Images

The first few weeks of my thru I developed a problem with blisters on my big toe. I started to put a light coat of Vaseline on my tow before putting on my Sox and boots. I never had a foot blister for the rest of my thru-hike.
    Grampie-N->2001

I have generally developed blisters on tops of pinky toes. Last year on longest hike I tried Ininji toe sock liners. No blisters. Will never hike without them again.

I also started a thread a month or so ago about "Insoles" that gave me a lot of info for next outing. Sounds like you and your friend might find that useful too. Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by HankIV View Post
    I have generally developed blisters on tops of pinky toes. Last year on longest hike I tried Ininji toe sock liners. No blisters. Will never hike without them again.
    Switched to Injinji toe socks last year; no blisters for the first time ever. Thought they were a pain in the behind to put on each morning as compared to traditional hiking socks.

Quote Originally Posted by Recalc View Post
    Switched to Injinji toe socks last year; no blisters for the first time ever. Thought they were a pain in the behind to put on each morning as compared to traditional hiking socks.

Injinji toe socks/liners are better than nothing, but I found they weren't as good as 3M cushioned tape wrapped around my hot spot toes (the "ring" toe, next to pinky toe, on each foot). And I agree, they're a pain to put on.

Haven't tried any creams or goo.

++ New Posts ++