WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default GA / Southern NC 5 day hike

I am thinking about a 5 day hike sometime either July or September/October. I would have to travel from Central Florida so I am thinking either GA or southern NC would be best. I am specifically looking to see if there are any sections with scenic points. I have section hiked in NC/TN and had great scenic areas and also 4 days with no views at all.

Any recommendations?

Well, the thing to do is count how many camera icons there are in the guide book between here and there.
    In the 75 miles of GA, there are 12 camera icons.
    In the next 100 miles to NOC, there are 15 camera icons.

In some cases, the icons are grouped close together. Most GA views are limited. You get several 360 views in NC from the balds. NC is a bit more work then GA. Logistically, GA is probably easier for a 5 day trip. In either case, I'd go the September/October time frame and you might catch some fall color. July would be too hot for me.

Those are some of the trade offs you need to consider.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

You could hike the 25-mile loop at Standing Indian Campground, there's a view from the tower on Albert Mt. Then hike from Winding Stair Gap to the NOC, there are some good views from Siler Bald, Wesser Bald tower. That could add up to 5 days.

Do Deep Gap NC to the NOC. Standing Indian, Albert, Silers Bald, Wayah Bald, Wesser Bald. Did I miss any? Fantastic views. Beautiful locations. Great place to end a hike. Who doesn't like hot showers, beer, and pizza?

That section south from NOC looks really good on my map. It looks like there are lots of shelters, water, and a few balds. I assume that camping on a bald is probably an option.

Also, NOC is just a 10 hour drive. I actually did some trail work through Konnarock a few years ago on the section so I might get to see some of my handiwork.

Camping on a bald is sort of an option, but not a very good one. If a thunderstorm blows in overnight your in serious do-do.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

The ~30 mile stretch between US 64 outside Franklin and the NOC is the Nantahalas. Add the ~30 miles north to Fontana Dam for a terrific 6 day hike. Tough section for the South, with a big descent into and climb out of NOC. Great views at various balds and towers. Resupply or get a meal at NOC depending on when they are open.

Personally I wouldn't stay in the shelters, but YMMV.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Thanks for all the feedback. Based on the info, I convinced my hiking partner to do 4 nights from Albert Mt to NOC. Out of the 4 section hikes I have done in the past 10 years, this was by far the best. We ended up not using any shelters but used small campsites along ridges with great views at each. The balds were great, it wasn't too crowded, weather was fine. Overall much better than I had ever anticipated.

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    Do Deep Gap NC to the NOC. Standing Indian, Albert, Silers Bald, Wayah Bald, Wesser Bald. Did I miss any? Fantastic views. Beautiful locations. Great place to end a hike. Who doesn't like hot showers, beer, and pizza?
    I like hot showers and pizza, but hot beer does not appeal. No siree.

++ New Posts ++