WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Tarp pole question, cant figure this out

Hi tarp users, how do you keep the tarp tie-outs or the lines from sliding down the tip of your trekking poles?

Lots of different solutions depending on the pole tips or handle and depending on the tarp.

I generally use my trekking poles handle down and just loop the guy line around the tip with a half-hitch or clove hitch so it doesn't slide down past the baskets or the ridges and rings that would hold the baskets if they were on. I've also seen people that use a washer over the tip of the pole that is big enough to go over the tip but not slide down the pole and have the guy line tied through the washer. If you were trying to put the pole into the tarp tie-out, you might be able to find a fender washer that the tip of the pole would fit into just right, but the outer dimension of the washer would be too large for the tarp tie-out to slip over.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Have fun.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

I figured I could tie the lines right to the tie-out loops which worked ok. But the tarp just flaps around too much to be useful - failed experiment.

Mods - this ended up being a non-useful post, feel free to delete.

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    . . . - failed experiment. Mods - this ended up being a non-useful post, feel free to delete.
    The content and phrasing of a question can be super helpful in getting a useful response. In this case, what type of tarp? What type of lines? What poles? What have you tried and how exactly has it failed. Many of us use tarps almost exclusively and without issue, so there is knowledge here to solve problems if one can entise the right feedback.

Good luck. I'm happy to try and be more useful if I can get some guidence.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

++ New Posts ++