WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Yellow Deli Hiker Hostel

What do folks know about the Yellow Deli Hiker Hostel in Rutland, VT? Is it a good place to stay? Friendly hosts? Tasty food? Any reasons why I shouldn't stay there once they open up again? It'd be great to hear people's thoughts.

Journal Entries
    Images

Other than the fact it’s run by a cult, no problems. I hear the food is amazing. Google “Twelve Tribes.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've interacted with them in four different years, and always been very comfortable with their treatment of people, the cleanliness of the hostel and deli, and the loving spirit they exude. They are definitely not a party spot, but are conveniently located about a block from a large Walmart, next door to the bus station, and with most other town services within a few blocks. One thing to consider is taking the bus out of town to go further north on the AT, and hiking back south. You can do some great slackpacking from this hostel. Getting rides back into Rutland from the trail was very easy.
    Trail name Catnapper

nevermind my response does not matter

Images

not sure if this is a troll thread or what........post number one asking about a cult.....

but yeah, google 12 tribes and you'll see what they are all about....

Stayed there in 2016! As was mentioned; clean, good food, decent people. Be aware that they close the restaurant at 3:00 PM on Friday to get ready for the Sabbath dinner; and hikers are invited to share the meal. I believe that they charge for the hostel by donation; and you can get in after 3:00 PM on Friday.

Journal Entries

Been their twice over the past 2 years. Excellent facility, staff, resupply and restaurant options. "Talks Too Much" great shuttle provider. Call the hostel for the phone #.
    Oh, and their food is fantastic. Also free hiker breakfast in the morning that's excellent.

Journal Entries

I've stayed there and visited one of their other locations in NY. The Hostel itself is excellent, it is as far as I've seen 'by mandatory donation', though it was only $10 so no biggie. They asked me if I was willing to do a work for stay to help them paint. Given that I got in from a long hike and still needed to resupply and it was only $10, I decided that the $10 was the better option then my time - they agreed.

As for their cult like status, the hard division of genders roles within their organization was a bit uncomfortable to see, also the hostel is also divided by gender, though others are also (NOC comes to mind). Besides that it's more like they are willing to talk only if you are about beliefs but they don't push it, but as I observed try to impress by their actions, and not try to convert.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mkoltonuk View Post
    Been their twice over the past 2 years. Excellent facility, staff, resupply and restaurant options. "Talks Too Much" great shuttle provider. Call the hostel for the phone #.
    Oh, and their food is fantastic. Also free hiker breakfast in the morning that's excellent.
    Trail Angel....Plans Too Much !!
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Images

Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Their phone: (802) 683-9378

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

hobo a hikin
    Journal Entries

You will be welcomed and treated with dignity and respect. The hostel and deli is owned and operated by a community known as "The Twelve Tribes" They are a a part of a global community who have dedicated their lives to following what they understand about the life of Jesus, or as they refer to Yahshua, the Hebrew name of Jesus.
    The hostel and the delis are some of the many ways in which the Twelve Tribes devotees evangelize, hoping to attract people into the life in community and become disciples of Yashuah. You will not be told this upon your initial visit, if at all, and they will not be pushy or approach you with any religious or doctrinal dogma. To the contrary, I would say that you will be given the opportunity to completely enjoy the hospitality and good decent people you will meet.

You'll be safe and treated well in the hostel. Should you join the cult itself, expect all the bad things you've ever heard about the cult. There are haves and have nots, predators and prey. It's what cults do.

So, strictly from a hiking viewpoint, perfectly safe to stay if you aren't prone towards getting suckered into cults. Everyone has to decide this for themself.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.
    Images

I stayed there in October of 2021, and I thought it was great. I gave them $20 for the donation and thought it worth every penny. Laundry down the hall from the sleeping room. Hot, blessed shower. Common room to hang out in, though I did not.

The restaurant on the first floor was awesome. I ate lunch, then late night snack of coffee and cheesecake, and then breakfast the next morning. Pleasantly surprised, and I'm not one easily impressed by food.

I also liked the location. Not far from the Wal Mart where I resupplied. Liquor store a few blocks away. The bus station was behind the Yellow Deli building. I had dinner at a Japanese restaurant a few blocks away, and stopped at a quaint tavern a moment's walk from the deli. I couldn't resist the 'Pabst pitchers-$3' sign in the window.

I spoke with one of the staff during my coffee and cheesecake; he seemed interesting. No overtures-- subtle or blatant --regarding religion, though plenty of booklets were available to learn more about their organization. I never saw a female staff member anywhere.

My other option was a stay at The Long Trail Inn. I decided against it because I had to come into town to resupply anyway, and a burger bar was not what I was craving that night. Clinching the deal was my ride into town (I can't call it a hitch, because the guy pulled over before I even put my thumb out at the trailhead) left me off at the front door.

The exterior is, well, yellow. Here's a photo of the men's bunk room. Me waiting for my reuben in the deli. The welcome sign. The rest room. And my cheesecake and coffee.

I would recommend this place to anyone.PA190600.jpgPA190592.jpgPA190588.jpgPA190629.jpgPA190631.jpgPA190633.jpg
    Give me a mile of trail and I can show you the forest. Give me a mile of runway and I can show you the world.
    Long Trail Completed 2021.
    Collegiate Loop 2022

Prior to Covid, I would spend a week each summer shlepping hikers around Vermont for the fun of it. My morning pickup each day was the Yellow Deli, and they were gracious and kind and fed me breakfast along with the hikers staying there (I bunked down in my car each night at the lot across from the Inn at Long Trail.)
    Every afternoon when I dropped a new batch there for the night I was "appreciated" with one of their out-of-this-world rootbeers. Always polite, always kind, always happy to be doing what they were doing....a lovely atmosphere and I always recommend it to folks.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Images
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    They may be a cult, but based on the responses in this thread they do not push their beliefs on hikers staying at the hostel.

Totally different area, but the StoneyBrook Market in Hillsboro VA (near Harpers Ferry) is apparently 12 Tribes and sometimes I believe hikers stay there. The folks who run the market have been nothing but wonderful for us locals who frequent the market and never push any sort of religious messaging. The folks who work there are always quite friendly and their sandwiches are flipping amazing!

I spent two nights there in '17. They were friendly and reasonable hosts. Good hostel stay, but there was an "odd" vibe. I think it was clear that we were just interested in the hostel and nothing else, so we didn't get a hard cell on attending the presentations. Based on conversations with a couple hikers in Rutland and then in northern VA, I believe they prey on young hikers that are not confident with their stage in life. The females and children that worked at the hostel and were part of the 12 Tribes were very reserved, dressed alike and almost gave off a "trapped" feel. I never felt uncomfortable while I was there, but was glad when I got back on trail. It was just one of many "adventures" that made the trail an unforgettable experience.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++