WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Suggestions for 2 nights in NC or TN

Looking for non-AT suggestions for me and daughter. She lives in Asheville and I live near Elk Garden VA, so anything in between or near either location. We loved our final trip last year, past Midnight Hole in the Big Creek area. Prefer 6-8 miles. Hope to go early June. We've done the entire AT in NC & TN so looking elsewhere.

Suggestions appreciated.
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..........
    Travel not for the destination, but for the joy of the journey.

I would look at a section of the Mountains to Sea Trail in NC. Check it out at https://mountainstoseatrail.org/. A short section runs from the Pisgah Inn (on the Blue Ridge Parkway) to The Pink Beds off of US 276 near The Cradle of Forestry. It would involve 2 vehicles or someone to shuttle you.

Or an out and back could be into Shining Rock Wilderness off of the Parkway.

Both of these are close to Asheville.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

GSMNP

A classic two night loop is to park at Twenty Mile ranger station and stay at #92 and #13.
    The highlights include a small waterfall near the start of the loop, and creek side campsite the 1st night, and then the views from Gregory Bald.

If you hadn't specifically said you're done with the AT for now, I'd suggest the alternative to stay at #113 and #13. You basically exchange a creek side campsite for a view from Shuckstack fire tower.

Images

If you hadn't specifically said you're done with the AT for now, I'd suggest the alternative to stay at #113 and #13

and should be noted that 113 is not a shelter on the AT in the Park but rather a campsite...

and for me, one of the best campsites in the Park....

i went in winter though, and of course i was the only one there, but if it's not too crowded, it's a great site...

and for that loop------get water at moore spring before you head over to the campsite...

fill up for what ya need......

its about a mile up and over the bald to the campsite......

the campsite has a spring right below it, but every time i've been up there, its a hog wallow and
    horse shoe prints through out it and what not....

i'd rather haul the water from moore but your mileage may vary....

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    ...the campsite {#13} has a spring right below it, but every time i've been up there, its a hog wallow and
    horse shoe prints through out it and what not....
    First of all, in this case "right below it" equates to about a quarter mile away and 100' drop in elevation (down Gregory Bald trail).
    After a 3,000' climb to Gregory Bald, my mind does NOT equate that to "right below it".

But I share the sentiment of Moore Spring.
    Your only penalty for getting your water at Moore Spring is that it adds 0.1 miles before you get to the campsite, and you have to haul that water for 0.9 miles and up and over a 300 hill (that you have to climb anyway).
    But it saves you the 1/2 mile round trip hike down to the water source.

The Linville Gorge Wilderness Area from Shortoff Mountain to Table Rock is incredible. It's part of the Mountains to the Sea trail.

The Wilson Creek Wilderness Area in Pisgah has lots of waterfalls and loop opportunities. A post hike visit to Betsey's General Store in Mortimer is always a good time.

Thanks for the great suggestions! We are leaning towards the Linville Gorge or Wilson Creek areas because that is about the same distance drive for both of us.
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..........
    Travel not for the destination, but for the joy of the journey.

Grandfather Mountain State Park North Carolina.
    Late May or early June would be good. Mid-week isn’t crowded. There are designated campsites with cables for food storage.
    Access from the Blue Ridge Parkway or NC Hwy 105. With two vehicles you could cross the park without retracing your route.
    Wayne

++ New Posts ++