WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 4000 Footers Summer

I'm looking to do all 48 4000 footers this summer. Does anyone have a good order to do them in, in which it will be about 15 trips or so. I'm not opposed to doing a few overnights, but preferably day trips.

There are a few multiple summits you can bag in a day, but not too many which aren't a very, very long hard day. Especially if you have a couple hour drive each way on either end. Not too many can be done as loops either, so multiple summits might involve arranging for a shuttle to get back to the car too.

Get a map and start drawing lines. Start with the ones nearest you and work north. Or start with the highest and finish with the shortest. Toss a dart at the map.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

If you're up to a couple 14-16 miles days, you can bag them all with day hikes. If you want to minimize trips, I'd try and do a Pemi loop in two or three days to bag those 12 and maybe a Presi traverse overnight (for fast 10) unless you're up to a pretty rough 23 mile day.

Unless your schedule is last-minute flexible, I'd also plan the summits you want to bag in good weather (best views and most exposure) vs. those that you're happy to bag in bad weather. Then, instead of having to rearrange your schedule, you can just rearrange your summit goals depending on the expected weather.

For what it's worth, I've never seen a published best order. For some people, starting off with shorter easier hikes to build up to the bigger ones makes sense. To others, there is a great finally climb (maybe Washington) that they want to save for last. I have generally picked my order based on the summits any hiking partners I have need for their list and then factor in weather and the mood I'm in that day.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

The key thing is save a good one for your last one. There are some lesser 4Ks like Zealand east Osceola Middle and South Carter that to most are just check marks on the list, best not to end up with one of them accidentally. My rule long ago was before I sent my application in was I had to have reasonable view from every summit (at least on the summits that had views). Its easy to get in a rut and press on regardless of the weather. Lot to be said for fair weather hiking. Ideally find someone to do car spots with, its pretty well essential to do the Bonds and Zealand as long day hike starting at the end of Zealand road and ending at Lincoln Woods. Note that if you want people to join you on your last summit, both Washington, Cannon and Wildcat can be accessed by anyone who buys a ticket. Cannons summit is the best setup as its not as crowded as Washington but it does have restrooms and snackbar (assuming the CV-19 restrictions settle out).

Which is the highest?
    Let's head for the roundhouse; they can't corner us there!

Quote Originally Posted by Last Call View Post
    Which is the highest?
    Mt Washington of course.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I did the ADK 46 over a 20 year span, and started the NH 48 a few years ago, I'm up to 14. So far, all of those were on day hikes, which meant getting up at 3 am sometimes, and getting home late at night after long days. Totally worth it. My only advice is this, in no particular order of importance: 1) take advantage of the long summer days for the longest hikes; 2) hike the trailed peaks on weekdays if possible, and the trailless peaks for the weekends to minimize crowds; 3) lower your expectations for that last peak; 4) just enjoy it! I have a lot of great memories and could probably recall every peak in the 'Daks. For some reason (advancing age), I have less recollection of the more recent trips to NH, but usually revived by looking at the maps.

There is only one 4k without a trail, it has a very well defined "path". The path is not blazed but it pretty well worn into the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    There is only one 4k without a trail, it has a very well defined "path". The path is not blazed but it pretty well worn into the ground.
    If your speaking of Owl's Head in the Pemi, it's not really a trail, more of a crazy near vertical 1000 foot scramble up a rock side. Man, that climb took a lot longer then expected. Getting back down was worse.

I have never had any issues on the slide except for folks up hill dislodging stuff. There is always the Bruts "bushwhack" that is starting to get established in the summer as an alternative. The Black Pond bushwhack is almost a trail theses days which has cut the mileage for the Owl for many.

Check out the book Following Atticus by Tim (Tom?) Ryan. The author completed the 48 many times, summer and winter, and lists his approaches and all the organizations that helped him. Best of all is you'll have a wonderful read!
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Here is a blog post that provides one suggestion of an order for hiking the NH 48. https://www.ridj-it.com/single-post/...-New-Hampshire

You could try the Direttissima - Summit all 48 in one continuous hike on foot, no resupplies or car shuttles. Here is a recount of female FKT by Arlette Laan - sub-9 day. https://www.gossamergear.com/blogs/o...n-direttissima

For your planning keep in mind that the AMC huts are closed for the summer and may not even be open for water refills. Likewise, the RMC cabins and shelter/campsite in the northern presidentials are also closed. Many tent sites and shelters in the WMNF have also been closed, and may or may not reopen after July 1. https://www.outdoors.org/articles/ne...s-for-covid-19.

It also remains unclear if non-NH will be welcome in the Whites this summer. SAR organizations and NH Fish & Game have been asking people to stay local and low. There are also reports of cars with Mass. plates being vandalized at trailheads, but I am not sure I believe this. I have not been following the status of NH's stay at home order, but there is definitely something in place at this time. You may want to check out the two 4000 footer groups on FB for up to date information.

A single summer 48 would be a great achievement, and lots of fun. I hope it all works out for you.

FYI, the list of NH 4Ks is most likely changing. Tecumseh is probably gone (too short close but no cigar like Sandwich), Waumbek (too short). Guyot is supposedly going to go on the list but its easy as you walk right by the summit on the bonds traverse.

Technically the governor of NH is still asking Mass folks to stay home but day tripping seems to be tacitly accepted. The bummer is no overnight accommodations for out of staters. Its changing every day.

There are always more out of state plates parked at the Valley Way trail head (access to Madison and Adams) then NH plates. Most are from Mass, but I often see CT, RI, NY, PA. I guess hikers are immune.

The 48 are practically overrun on the weekends. My preferred way to hike them is to backpack them on lesser used trails midweek if possible.

One of my favorite hikes was up Passaconaway over to Whiteface, across the sisters, and over the Tripyramids, down the valley, up Tecumseh, then a bit of road walk, and across the Osceolas.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

I’m hoping to hike my last 3/67 in August. All are in Maine, off the AT which I did in 2013.

.com

++ New Posts ++