WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default external frame back panel mesh material

Does someone know what sort of mesh Kelty uses for the back panels on their external frame packs?

I think its Leno mesh but I don't know if its stiff or soft Leno. I'm making a DIY external frame, hopefully lightweight, backpack and I'm working on the design of the back panel. I don't need much so ordering samples costs as much as ordering both types.

Kelty sells a replacement back panel and I bought one but it won't work for me unfortunately because it won't fit and can't be modified to fit. I like the mesh though...

try asking here - lost of gear heads who build their own stuff...

https://www.reddit.com/r/myog/

Quote Originally Posted by D2maine View Post

Thanks. I don't use reddit. I signed up, posted my question, joined th MYOG group - nothing, Using that website is a mystery. My post is buried and I can only find if if I use search. Anyhow, I guess I'll eventually figure it out but its not real intuitive to me. THat is why I've avoided going there in the past.

Ask Kelty?
    Trim and refit the Kelty panel?
    Hot knife. Nylon webbing. Brass grommets. & Bob’s your Uncle.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Ask Kelty?
    Trim and refit the Kelty panel?
    Hot knife. Nylon webbing. Brass grommets. & Bob’s your Uncle.
    Wayne
    Thanks for your idea. You must have missed the comment I made which said it can't be modified to fit. I've already considered that option. Its too small in both directions. I want the finished product to be first class and trying to make something that's too small bigger by tacking stuff onto it ends up being a hack job.

I have not found Kelty customer service to be that helpful or knowledgeable when it comes to a question like this. If you want to buy one of their replacement parts they are fine. If you want to get a piece of Kelty gear repaired they're fine. If you start asking questions about the material in their products, that's proprietary intellectual property. You might get lucky and find someone who will tell you but I've not had luck doing that in the past. I've asked plenty of questions to plenty of gear manufacturers.

Quote Originally Posted by D2maine View Post

Funny. I'm still working on this project (obviously not a priority). I posted the question THREE years ago on reddit and have received zero comments.

If you’re interested in a first generation Vargo titanium external frame backpack (the silver gray one), I might be persuaded to part with one. Make offer.

I prefer the second generation version (blue).

++ New Posts ++