WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Not certain about Fox Creek but the parking lot at Elk Garden was packed last weekend. Don't think I have ever seen that many cars....parking lot full and 20+ cars parked along the side of the road. Based on the crowds, I would be concerned about finding a designated camp site in the Highlands on a weekend. Enjoy your hike!!
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..........
    Travel not for the destination, but for the joy of the journey.

Quote Originally Posted by DownYonder View Post
    Not certain about Fox Creek but the parking lot at Elk Garden was packed last weekend. Don't think I have ever seen that many cars....parking lot full and 20+ cars parked along the side of the road. Based on the crowds, I would be concerned about finding a designated camp site in the Highlands on a weekend. Enjoy your hike!!
    He should be more concerned that the Elk Garden trailhead is listed as being closed through May, https://www.fs.usda.gov/recmain/gwj/recreation. https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/gwj/n...d=FSEPRD718767

Contact information for the Mount Rogers NRA can be found here https://www.fs.usda.gov/main/gwj/about-forest/districts.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilroyxl View Post
    Looking to hopefully jump on the trail may 20th at fox creek, then spend a couple of days hiking to Damascus with a couple of first responders......

It has been a stressful 30 days, and really hoping we can pull this off.

We have a place to stay in Damascus.

What are your thoughts about the hike? Also getting off the AT into Damascus.

Hope each of you are well and safe.
    One of the best AT sections to do. Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    He should be more concerned that the Elk Garden trailhead is listed as being closed through May, https://www.fs.usda.gov/recmain/gwj/recreation. https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/gwj/n...d=FSEPRD718767

Contact information for the Mount Rogers NRA can be found here https://www.fs.usda.gov/main/gwj/about-forest/districts.
    They're not parking there so should have no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by SWODaddy View Post
    They're not parking there so should have no problem.
    I was responding to Down Yonder's post so take it up with him.

Parking is not the only issue though. If I am interpreting this correctly, a closed access point means one's body shouldn't go through it either. Feel free to let me know otherwise.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Images

The trailhead was never closed or baricaded..it has been mobbed with cars every weekend

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gungho View Post
    The trailhead was never closed or baricaded..it has been mobbed with cars every weekend

THIS ^^^

No attempt to close the parking lot nor the trail head. Also, the road to the top of White Top, where you can pickup the AT, is not closed.
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..........
    Travel not for the destination, but for the joy of the journey.

Doesn't change the fact that the AT Trailhead is closed. People getting on the AT there are breaking the rules. Plenty of other trails to use, other trails are open. I called the National Forest the AT trailheads are currently closed. https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/gwj/n...d=FSEPRD718767

THIS ^^^

No attempt to close the parking lot nor the trail head. Also, the road to the top of White Top, where you can pickup the AT, is not closed.
    They only have closed AT Trailheads and AT dedicated parking lots, nothing about roads. People ride their bikes down from White Top.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Images

Ever "AT Trailhead " between tn 91 and dikey gap where never ,"barricaded " or "roped off". I live here...I know

Ever "AT Trailhead " between tn 91 and dikey gap where never ,"barricaded " or "roped off". I live here...I know

Actually speaking with the regulating authority for the national forest, trailheads closed. Logistically impossible to rope or barricade the whole trail.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    Actually speaking with the regulating authority for the national forest, trailheads closed. Logistically impossible to rope or barricade the whole trail.
    Apparently there are a significant number of people who don't know or don't care. The FS tried to close trailhead parking lots here in the Whites, that lasted one weekend and they gave up.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Our hike from Fox Creek to Damascus was eventful. We got rained on every day and didn't realize how cold it could quickly get at such elevations. We ran into maybe 12 total hikers on our 4 days on the trail, but it seemed like more people were getting on the last couple of days we were there. We were welcomed by the folks at the SunDog outfitters and the Damascus Diner as they have definitely been feeling the financial burden of the pandemic and were happy to have business starting to pick back up. The views were incredible except the first hike from Fox Creek to old orchard shelter in the semi monsoon conditions. We learned that the ponies are cool at a distance, but there were some that were very pushy and i guess wanted us to give them food, we did not oblige. The second day we woke to a bright blue sky and no more trails that looked like small streams and we were encouraged only to get rained on again that evening. We headed out the third day and enjoyed beautiful weather through the woods on much easier terrain and made it to a campsite along the White Top Laurel creek, amazing spot for camping. The last morning we hiked out, went back to our rental, cleaned up and jumped on the Creeper Trail. Overall, it was a great time with my brother and friends. One last thing, a huge thank you to Lone Wolf, he is a pretty cool guy and very dependable, he';s got a lot of experience on the trail and knows that section of the AT like the back of his hand. Thanks Wolf, you are much appreciated sir!

Hell ya! Glad yall got your hike in, and had at least some great weather!

willin'

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++