WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Pet sitting

Default Pet sitting

I walked 5 weeks sobo on the AT last year and think I can get away to start again and finish a hike this year but need someone to watch my dog and cat. I would really like to keep them together.
    Piper is a 9 year old Lab/Pointer mix. She is not a Lab water dog for sure and gets afraid of small things but she has a loud bark and will chase chipmunks for hours.
    Tony is a 9 year old cat that doesn't have front claws. He like to sleep with you if it's cold and is an inside cat.
    I filed for divorce in 2011 and just got a call that my attorney. I think it's going to finally happen. I'm guessing a sobo starting in June, perhaps mid June and 6 month hike.
    If you know anyone that could pet sit,,,,, I know there is a loving family someplace to help.
    I DO want the pets back when I'm done.
    Thanks,

Your only real option is to find someone in your local community. A friend or relative are the usual suspects.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

That can't be my only option. The trail community will help, I just know they will.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Your only real option is to find someone in your local community. A friend or relative are the usual suspects.
    + $ for food, treats, litter, etc. at probably $50 - $100 per month and arrangements to pay the veterinarian if something happens. And that's if you find someone willing to watch them just out of the kindness of their heart. Our petsitter who is walking distance to our house (but not family or in our close circle of friends) loves our two dogs, but she still gets PAID to do it. Two visits a day to feed them, also picks up the mail, and checks the pool water level, HVAC, etc. Even at her very cheap rate of $10 day for two visits (we give her huge tips btw, because good petsitters are hard to find), that's still roughly $1800 for petsitting plus the food bill for 6 months. And that would be getting off cheap.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 4eyedbuzzard; 05-06-2020 at 17:45.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

In our area there are often teens willing to take care of pets in the neighborhood, and do house check ups. I think the going rate is about $10-15/day. You might try looking around the neighborhood for an interested teen, or maybe a couple of them who can split up the work. If you have a place you can rent, you might also consider trading the rent, or part of it, for pet sitting. If you were to drop maybe $300/month off the rent, that seems like an equitable trade.
    Renais
    Trail name Catnapper

Well I'm still hoping someone that did the trail or someone that hopes to do the trail will reply. When your on the AT and you get trail magic you give back 10 fold. I'm guessing I will do the same with this. When someone reply's "its your only option" I have to wonder where there coming from I have to wonder. There is always another option.

Of course there are other options, though they are probably not what you are looking for.

What did you do with these animals during your 5-week hike last year and why can't that be done again? The option of splitting the pair for boarding may yield some people more agreeable to caring for one animal as opposed to two animals with different needs and expenses.

You should consider providing funding for pet necessities along with some emergency money in case a vet is needed are good ideas from this forum. People would be understandably reluctant to enter into an open ended pet care arrangement they would have to fund themselves until your return. It's a bit unfair to financially burden anyone agreeing to care for them as you take a multi-month vacation.

Another option would be to look at next season for your hike. Keep in mind BSP is currently closed to camping until July 1, all trailheads to Katahdin and Traveler (no relation) are closed until further notice, hiking above timberline is also prohibited. This is but the first of many closures and camping issues that you will likely find moving south into the White Mountains and beyond. The waiting option would provide a longer duration window to secure pet care as well, solving both issues.

Last option, consider getting a new attorney. A 9-year long divorce is a sign.

Good luck!

++ New Posts ++