WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 vs. Tiger Wall UL1

I’m in the market for a new freestanding solo tent and am trying to decide between these two BA models. I like the larger vestibule and side entry on the Tiger Wall but the Fly Creek is a little bit lighter and seems to be the choice for more thru hikers.

Does anyone have experience with either of these tents?

Also for what it’s worth, I’m a section hiker...usually out for no more than a week at a time.

Thanks!

Hiked around 1500 miles on the AT and hundreds more on other trails with the BA Fly Creek UL1. I am very happy with it. I am only 5'8" so not the longest wingspan, so having a smaller tent is easier to take down and put up in the morning. And lighter is always an adavantage since you are carrying every extra ounce every mile you walk. Don't use the vestibule for anything other than my poles, so that does not matter much to me. I place my shoes and pack on the side leftover from my sleeping pad. But the side entry of the Tiger Wall side entry might be considered an advantage.

If I was to buy a new tent I would probably go Fly Creek again, but Tiger Wall would be an option I would also consider.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Images

I used a Fly Creek for about 5 years, including a half of an AT, and I recently bought and have used a Tiger Wall for a week of nights Both are 2-man versions, but comparison probably still applies:

I think the extra few ounces of the Tiger Wall is worth it both for the more usable vestibule(s) and easier entry/exit. It's a close thing, you'll be good with either choice.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I borrowed a FlyCreek UL1 for an overnight hike and hated it. I didn't like getting into a tent the way I get into a sleeping bag, and I felt like I had to stretch too far to open/close the vestibule. I also wound up with a wet sleeping bag at my feet because I was touching the tent wall at night.

I LOVED using a Copper Spur UL2 for a JMT thru hike. I prefer the side entry, and the UL2 isn't too big yet still tons of space for one person.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    I borrowed a FlyCreek UL1 for an overnight hike and hated it. I didn't like getting into a tent the way I get into a sleeping bag, and I felt like I had to stretch too far to open/close the vestibule.
    This seems to be the most common complaint about the Fly Creek, and it seems either people hate the tent because of this, or it doesn't bother them much if at all (I'm in the doesn't bother me too much camp).

BTW, the Tiger Wall has pretty much the same geometry as the Copper Spur, very comfortable and easy to enter/exit. I really thing most people would prefer the Tiger Wall (or copper spur) over the Fly Creek (I own all three tents, actually, again, the 2-man versions, I have no experience with the 1-man ones).

I've used front entry and side entry over the years. Side entry has a small weight penalty but has so many more advantages over front in terms of space and ease of entry, and also if you have to get in and out of a front entry during a downpour you, and likely some of your stuff, will get wet. Take the small weight penalty and get the side entry. You will be happy.

Fly Creeks used to be the most returned tent at our local REI. Great if you don’t mind the entry and fit them. Not so great if you don’t deal well with the front entry or the tent is too small.

one of my funny memories from an REI garage sale is being in line behind a guy who returned one and the young woman who was buying it. It fit her perfectly and was too small for him.

Something you can do is go into an REI and set up tents next to each other and crawl in and out of them.

That will also help you to see how free standing (or not) a tent really is.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bumpy View Post
    I've used front entry and side entry over the years. Side entry has a small weight penalty but has so many more advantages over front in terms of space and ease of entry, and also if you have to get in and out of a front entry during a downpour you, and likely some of your stuff, will get wet. Take the small weight penalty and get the side entry. You will be happy.
    I have to admit I’ve never been happy with the front entry tents I’ve owned.

I’ve also come to realize that many “freestanding” tents really are not free standing. That used to matter a lot to me. Now I don’t care. It was a slow erosion as I started to guy out my copper spur more fully and finally realized that most of the time I wasn’t going to save work.

All of that said, the weather you camp in and the locations make a big difference.

Zoacks Duplexes are getting better satisfaction on the AT vs the PTC where the Copper Spur has the highest approval ratings. Seemed counterintuitive to me. But there it is.

Wish you luck.

Looks like the typical(and correct) responses have covered it pretty well. I would add just one thing- at the OPs age of 33 entry should not really be an issue
    I actually ditched my Copper Spur for a Flycreek but the whole story is CS3 vs FC2 is a pretty big weight and volumn difference. Im old so no doubt biased but I can't see using the 1 persons versions when the increase in utility of a 2 person only costs a few ounces.

I was debating the Copper Spur vs Tiger Wall and ended up ordering the TW 2 Solution Dye. What I find attractive about the SD is the netting is almost the entire tent so when I lie there I can see what's outside 360 degrees.

It just arrived and I will set it up it up at home and evaluate it. If there are any doubts, I'll order the CS 2, set it up, and return the one I preferred the least.

I think both will do the job well.

++ New Posts ++