WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thank you everyone for posting helpful knowledge as well as concerns about the pandemic.
    I have taken all actions required to abide by NH and ME CDC regulations.
    I appreciate the kind messages while the thread was not available.
    I am looking forward to the trip, and will certainly post a trip report upon my return.

If anyone has further information or data to share please do so that others and myself can gain the knowledge.

This is what I have planned but am going to let the weather determine schedule, and order of the sections.

Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch - NOBO 2.5 days backpack 27.7 miles

Mt Washington Summit to Crawford - SObo Slackpack 12.5
    Mt Wasington summit to Pinkham - NObo Slackpack 13.5

Pinkham Notch to Gorham - NoBo 2 days backpack 21.1
    Gorham, NH to Grafton Notch ME - Nobo 3 Days backpack 31.1

Grafton Notch to East B HIll Rd - NObo slackpack 10.3
    East B Hill Rd to south Arm - NoBo Slackpack 10.1
    South Arm to ME17 - Nobo Slackpack 13.3

This leaves me with 2-3 zero days to take, and a daily average of <10 miles per day. Extra zeros/ time can be picked from the backside of the trip if needed
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

I don't know if AMC tent sites are officially open yet or not. You need to call to make sure. Once north of RT 2, that won't be an issue.

It gets wicked hot and humid this weekend and the black flies are getting thick. You have a choice - wear t-shirt and shorts and get eaten alive or cover up and sweat to death. It's been really dry, so water sources are starting to dry up.

3 days from Gorham to Grafton is gonna be hard, especially after the previous couple of days. Those 10 mile days are like 20 in effort.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Looking over to Jefferson, Clay and Washington from the Gulf side trail (AT) yesterday afternoon. Wait until you have to hop over that rock pile!
    SAM_5208.JPG

Somehow it seems like cheating not climbing Mt, Washington It was memorable climbing in the wind and cold where I only see the next carin (sobo). I made a wrong turn and took the bypass trail and had to turn around.

It is possible to do Pinkham Notch to Rt 2 as a slackpack. It is tough but doable and took me 12:45 hrs.

IMO Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch would be better SOBO. Climbing the waterfall before Garfield campsite was memorable. If it were me, I would determine the direction based on the weather. If day 1 is sunny then go NOBO to ensure you get the full majesty of Franconia Ridge, if it was cloudy on day 1 then I would start at Crawford Notch and hope for better weather by the time you get to Franconia ridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Looking over to Jefferson, Clay and Washington from the Gulf side trail (AT) yesterday afternoon. Wait until you have to hop over that rock pile!
    SAM_5208.JPG
    Man O Man that looks awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by steve_zavocki View Post
    Somehow it seems like cheating not climbing Mt, Washington It was memorable climbing in the wind and cold where I only see the next carin (sobo). I made a wrong turn and took the bypass trail and had to turn around.

It is possible to do Pinkham Notch to Rt 2 as a slackpack. It is tough but doable and took me 12:45 hrs.

IMO Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch would be better SOBO. Climbing the waterfall before Garfield campsite was memorable. If it were me, I would determine the direction based on the weather. If day 1 is sunny then go NOBO to ensure you get the full majesty of Franconia Ridge, if it was cloudy on day 1 then I would start at Crawford Notch and hope for better weather by the time you get to Franconia ridge.
    I totally feel like i am cheating myself on Mt washington But I have to set myself up logistically for what makes sense for me. And I can most definitely make another trip to NH during better times and climb it both ways!

Thanks SZ that definately makes sense about choosing direction based on forecasts.

I will also look into the Pinkham to rt2 as a slack. My best day in the Whites is only 16.3. I want a 20+ real bad... Looks like this stretch is my chance

Plenty of bail out points along the way once you get on the Carters. If you are feeling good after dropping steeply down off Wildcat to C notch and then back up to Carter Dome you have the worse of it done. Make sure you tank up with water at C Notch, the next reliable water is Imp Shelter.

Detailed Closures and Cancellations

Cancelled and closed until July 1, 2020:

• All AMC facilities, shelters, campsites, trips, programs, and activities

have fun gambit. the section from pinkham to grafton is unlike any other.watch out for those ladders on goose eye.you dont want to slip there

Day 1 - hiked 13.3 miles ME17 to South Arm.
    Day 2 and 3 Were a wash. Heavy rain and storms. Drove out to the trail this morning and the ford was raging.
    should be back on track in the morning for another 10 miles or so. Took the rain out days to explore maine and grafton notth state park.
    saw a female moose on day 1 along south arm rd
    maine is beautiful

I have now hiked in all 14 states of the AT!!! Now to plug away at these last few hundred miles
    Last edited by Gambit McCrae; 06-30-2020 at 18:30.

Looks pretty unsettled for a while. Saturday the 4th looks to be the best day in near future. Good luck. Afternoons are the high risk times.

Day 1-hiked
    day 2-4 rained and I hung low
    days 5-7 hiked

Have completed Grafton Notch to ME 4 as well as Mt Washington to Crawford Notch

60 miles complete so far

Back out in the morning to knock more off the list.

I can not explain how Perfect of a day it was for the washington to crawford section yesterday. Spectacular.
    What a trip so far
    Last edited by Gambit McCrae; 07-05-2020 at 20:45.

One last good day tomorrow then it will too blasted hot and humid the rest of the week.

Day 8- hiked washington to pinkham
    Day 9- kayaked the Androscoggin River 10 miles and saw 2 Bald eagles.
    Day 10-Tomorrow is a wash with storms.
    Day 11 & 12 Will be spent from Franconia notch to Crawford.
    Day 13 & 14 - Traveling

Great you had a chance to do the river. I expect you did the stretch from Shelburne to Bethel (or maybe Gilead). The various channels around the islands are fun. Almost always a few eagles and herons. I have seen moose on occasion and even two bears over the years.

BTW for your partner, there is small farmers market on the common in Gorham Thursdays 3 to 6. There is a lady who makes great Thai food. This time of th year its a lot of jellys, jams, baked goods and maple syrup although its fresh strawberry season.

Looks downright hot and muggy Thursday and Friday, good time to be up high on the ridgeline. At least the water source will get a recharge. FYI if Zealand and Galehead Hut is open with caretakers, they treat the water with some product that has bad aftertaste. You are pretty well stuck with Galehead but you can just pull it out of the falls and treat it at Zealand.

I was at Galehead recently (couple of weeks ago) and it was still locked down. There was water at the outdoor spigot. I didn't think it tasted too bad, but I did add a couple of lemon-lime NUUNs to it.

Well this is frustrating. NH and Southern Maine weather have been tricky. Due partially to being solo on this trip, as well as trying to become wiser as I age, I have sat out heavy forecasted storm/ rain days this trip. I recall several sections this trip that I recall telling myself it would not be fun and in many cases downright unsafe to do them in a storm or rain. Looks like today bit me in the rear though. It was 90% of bad storms forecasted. Which ment i didnt start a section yesterday so that I wasn't putting myself in danger of ridge line storms today. But now as the day goes on, forecast gets better and better. However at this stage of the trip, i only have time for one more section if I were to hike today or start tomorrow. So Im going to stick to my plan and start tomorrow.

As of today I have 300.3 miles of the AT left.

We could still be in for a good storm this afternoon. It is a bit of a hit or miss. Tomorrow looks okay (although wicked hot and humid), but Friday afternoon is looking iffy again. Thankfully, once you get down to Zealand, your in the woods on reasonably easy trail.

This is why I don't like to hike much in July. I told my young hiking partner if she wants to keep me around, we need to dial back our hikes until the weather cools down again. We've done some seriously strenuous hikes lately and they are starting to take a toll on me!

Well folks. My walking is done for this trip. I wrapped up the adventure with crawford to franconia and finished at 8:30 last night getting a 21 mile day in the white mountains of NH, and as well it marked 1900 miles of the AT complete. I did not get all of the miles in that I had planned for as I go home with Pinkham to Grafton Notch still to walk. But I am happy with the trip for sure.

270 miles left and my dream becomes reality. Full trip report to come soon. Thank you everyone for all the help!

Come back in the fall next time. September is great around here.

Enjoy following your progress Gambit. Looking forward to the trip report.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++