WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Comparing *thin* Ti and Al there is virtually no difference.
    So IMHO you can choose your pots based on price, shape, cool factor or whatever other parameters you wish, but heat conductivity ain't one of 'em!

Awesome graph, cmoulder! And yeah, thinness makes up for the lower conductivity. So it's mostly price vs. weight, as with so many other things.

I did notice that Al pots seemed far more rigid in the stores than the thinner Ti ones. There was also a quip about Ti superiority that stuck with me, perhaps said tongue in cheek, but it was something along the lines of, "Your Al pot may not last 300 years; it may only last 30!" And if our leisure hours had a price tag, we'd no doubt be spending hundreds of dollars trying to figure out if an extra $30-$50 in pot cost is worth it.

But as you say, heat conductivity - in a practical sense, boil times - isn't a deciding factor. Other things may be (even heating, price, weight, durability, etc) but not boil times.

I also agree with the prior poster, Jetboils are amazingly fast. They're also pricey ... but time is money, right? Or is it not in leisure time? I guess everyone has to make that call for themselves in some way, usu. implicitly.

Just to weigh back on on this Ti vs Al thing. Heat transfer to the the liquid may be similar in Ti vs. Al for the purposes of backpacking pots. BUT, the significantly higher thermal conductivity of Al spreads the heat out across the bottom of the pot more effectively than Ti and thus has a less intense hot-spot under the flame, which I think is one of the primary concerns of the OP.

For the purpose of hot-spot avoidance, given a similar thickness of material:

Metal Thermal Conductivity
    Aluminum 120-200 W/m-C, depending on the alloy
    Copper 280-380
    Titanium 15
    Stainless Steel 17
    Cast Iron 55
    Silver 418

So bag those Titanium pots and let's start all using silver!
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Images

The MSR Reactor is a nice wide burner:

reactor-brn-head.jpg

Just bought a BSR to pair up with a Titanium pot. Trying to condense my cooking gear and allow it all to nest in one pot. Experimenting with the little things right now!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++