WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Cathole or 'wag bag'?

Hey guys;
    What do you do when 'nature calls' and it's more than just pee?
    Do you dig a cathole and bury it, or do you use a 'wag bag'.
    Despite owning a decent (metal) trowel, I find it almost impossible to dig a 6" deep cathole. Too many roots and rocks.
    I've never used any sort of bag.

Of course, if you happen to be at a shelter/campsite that has a privy, then you don't have this problem, but most shelters and tent sites I've used don't have them.

Thanks for your input
    EthanTX

Edit: I put this in the gear forum because I was hoping to get a recommendation for a bag system.

I've seen wag bags used with mixed results as these are not designed for burial. I have seen failures in getting waste into bags that makes for a nasty mess. failures handling these things on their way from ground to pack and the results when a bag fails in a pack from poor packing, contact with pointed/sharp objects, or heavy handed use leading to load crushing. Wag Bags are designed for single use, which means you haul poop around with you until you can find a disposal site. Preferring a more simplified approach I stick with the tried and true cat hole and resealable baggies to haul out TP. If a cat hole is properly dug, there should be little opportunity for waste to come up to the surface when you leave, though animals tend to dig up TP from a cat hole which is why it should be hauled out and disposed of.

Making a cat hole with the heel of a shoe or trekking pole should be avoided as poor technique and will typically fail in a short time. There are several good makers of sturdy cat hole trowels like the GSI Outdoors that have sharp serrated edges to cut through matted roots and a fairly good handle that can pry rocks (up to a point of course). I have used old scrap leather to make a trowel sheath for pack protection and use a side pocket to store it.

Digging a proper cat hole of 6"-8" deep only take a few minutes and is a simple process. Find a suitable location 200 feet or more downhill from the trail and water sources. Define the outer edge of a circle with the trowel, then repeatedly chip at the ground inside of the circle. This helps loosen the soil and makes it easier to clear from the hole. Mound the dirt around the cat hole to direct waste and fill it in once done. I then use resealable baggies as the primary container for TP with a secondary black resealable bag for double protection and mask contents until I reach the next trash can.

Taking this level of care only consumes a few minutes and helps reduce the spread of illness, reduction of odors, the appearance of TP blooms, and avoids having to carry poop around until a trash can is found. Simple, safe, effective.

TP only needs to be hauled out in desert conditions, it is totally within leave no trace practices to bury your TP anywhere along the AT that is not above tree line. Totally disagree on packing out TP, take a stick and shove it under your poop a little, I never seen any dug up except maybe from a cathole that wasn't deep enough. Wet wipes should always be packed out not TP.

I have a small titanium trowel I purchased from someone on here and I had no problem digging a proper cathole all along the AT, sharp enough to cut right through all small roots and what not. I've only heard of wag bags being used for climbers where it's either use a wag bag or it's 'bombs away' down below which would not be cool.
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

Thanks guys;
    I check my trowel, maybe time to replace it.

This is the trowel I own:

trowel.jpg

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

https://seatosummit.com/products/all...39812311449773
    Quote Originally Posted by ETtrailrunner View Post
    This is the trowel I own:

trowel.jpg
    There are lighter weight options...
    But I totally get what you're talking about when it comes to digging thru roots and rocks.
    I do most of my hiking in Great Smoky Mountains National Park... the place is a virtual rain forest and growth is fairly dense.
    There have been times when I've started digging a cat-hole and ran into so many roots I simply moved somewhere else.
    I also have to admit that sometimes 6" is difficult to achieve and I simply have to "do my best" and make the hole a little extra wide.

I've considered trying the Deuce, but because of the difficulty digging thru roots have left me too worried my hand will get hurt/cut trying to use such a thin handle.
    I've been using the Sea-to-Summit alloy trowel for ages (mine is old enough that at the time it was branded the "iPood!"). I've taken to even sharpening the edge to help cut into roots.
    Sea to Summit Trowel - formerly know as the "iPood!"

Some of the lightest trowels I saw looked like they would be very uncomfortable to use. I like the ones with the para cord wrapped around better - at least there's some sort of cushioning to prevent my hand from getting sore.

The Vargo (https://vargooutdoors.com/products/dig-dig-tooltm) works pretty well, but yeah sometimes is is just impossible to dig a regulation hole. It does help to dig one the night before if you have the energy. I had a hank of reflective cord for clothes drying that I most used for marking such spots so I could find them in the morning.

I just purchased this one on Amazon:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Got it 'free' using rewards points!

I was looking for mine, found it. I have the lightest one of these three at about 0.4 ounces and I never had a problem digging a good cathole. I have gone wider as mentioned above and had to move over a little if I hit a rock/root or something. The yellow stuff is wearing off, he mentions what to re dip it in somewhere but I never cut my hand or had a problem like that. The only thing is you can't just hold the handle, you need to put a couple fingers behind the shovel part for support as you dig or you'll end up bending it. This thing is the best and probably one of the lightest on the market.
    http://qiwiz.net/trowels.html
    NoDoz
    -

Journal Entries
    Images

Most hiker ditch their trowles a few weeks in, on my thru-hikes a hardy stick or rock worked just fine.
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Quote Originally Posted by LazyLightning View Post
    TP only needs to be hauled out in desert conditions, it is totally within leave no trace practices to bury your TP anywhere along the AT that is not above tree line. Totally disagree on packing out TP, take a stick and shove it under your poop a little, I never seen any dug up except maybe from a cathole that wasn't deep enough. Wet wipes should always be packed out not TP.
    Agreed on the LNT standard regarding TP buried with waste however as you point out that presumes the cat hole was properly dug which, unfortunately that does not seem to be high on many peoples list. If TP has an artificial fragrance to it (many brands do), animals can be attracted to it. Since a lot of my backpacking has been in dry areas of the US where TP should be hauled out I grew accustomed to the practice and as such I have folded this practice of hauling out into my LNT list.

Location, Location, Location. It’s all about where you go and dig. Your mileage may vary. I find the more remote the spot the easier it is to dig for some reason. Have exclusively used the titanium trowel from Vargo for several years and never have a problem with digging a regulation hole, nor carrying out TP where required. In California I used a backcountry bidet system instead of TP and had the cleanest backside I’ve ever had on an adventure!

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    ...I used a backcountry bidet system instead of TP and had the cleanest backside I’ve ever had on an adventure!
    Since I've learned this practice in the Middle East decades ago, I never carry TP any more.
    Aside from feeling more clean than ever, its just one item less I have to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by wornoutboots View Post
    Most hiker ditch their trowles a few weeks in, on my thru-hikes a hardy stick or rock worked just fine.
    It was the running joke when I was on the trail that anybody who claims to dig a proper cat hole with their boot, stick, trekking pole, rock, ect. is full of **** , and probably in more ways then one!

I get the point on the TP dilemma but I dig my holes proper and will always bury it where I can, though I may look into a bidet system...
    NoDoz
    -

Location, Location, Location. It’s all about where you go and dig. Your mileage may vary. I find the more remote the spot the easier it is to dig for some reason. Have exclusively used the titanium trowel from Vargo for several years and never have a problem with digging a regulation hole, nor carrying out TP where required. In California I used a backcountry bidet system instead of TP and had the cleanest backside I’ve ever had on an adventure!
    I love the bidet idea; I use one at home, and love it. Only need a little tp to dry off - mine doesn't have the warm air feature, but if I ever need to replace the toilet, I'm getting one that has the whole 9 yards. IMHO, it's worth the extra $$. I can't tell you how many times I've needed to auger the toilet because someone (not me of course) threw too much tp in. Some people even use wipes - which are supposed to be disposable, but are a horror for plumbers and sewer workers. Some cities are even banning them. On the trail, wipes would be a no-no, as they don't degrade the way tp does.
    I don't use scented tp - always get mine from BJ's - hate the scent of some brands.

Which bidet did you use? Lots of choices on Amazon.

Just used my water bottle, bronners, and hand sani to do the job. My buddies used a nozzle attachment for their bottles, and I heard no complaints but I don’t know which one

Not sure I would want to use my water bottle - I'd bring a separate bottle for cleaning up. I could carry that bottle empty, and fill it with water from my hydration bladder - I usually carry more water than I need.

Your mileage may vary. Go for it, what works for you is best!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++