WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Report - Completed the Pinhoti Trail

Summary
    Over the course of just under 3 years I completed the Pinhoti Trail over a series of section and day-hikes.

What
    The Pinhoti National Recreation Trail runs from Flagg Mtn near Weogufka, AL to where it intersects the Benton Mackaye Trail near Epworth, GA.

Length
    337.1 according to the banner on the Pinhoti Trail Alliance website banner. The length has changed from the time I started as re-routes were completed to reduce roadwalks.

When
    First trip: May 2017
    Last trip: April 2020

Trips Breakdown
    22 total days
    10 total trips
    Longest trip: 9 days, 176 miles - Flagg Mountain, AL to a woods road outside of Cave Spring, GA
    Shortest trip: 1 day, 8 miles - junction of Simms Mtn Trail/GA Hwy 100 to High Point Trailhead
    5 other day hikes
    1 three day trip
    2 overnighters

Highlights
    • The 60 or so miles South of Cheaha SP are spectacular.
    • <1 hiker or mountain biker seen per day on average
    • Car camping on a bald with panoramic view .4 miles off-trail near Taylors Ridge in GA after completing the trail
    • Saw more turkeys than I can remember, the trail’s namesake! (Pinhoti is Creek for "Turkey Home”)
    • Found a downed blaze as a keepsake less than 3 miles from completing the trail
    • 0 Pinhoti Trail thru-hikers seen

Gear
    Pack: MyTrailCo 70L BPL
    Shelter: Lunar Solo
    Sleep: EE Revelation 20 quilt
    Shoes: Astral Junctions and Astral Trek
    No complaints about any of my gear. I’ve had to add extra thickness to my hip belt to make it tight enough to offer support but maybe that’s on me for sizing wrong before ordering. No biggie. Quilt held up great in the low 20s but I sleep warm. Shoes feel great on my feet but they wear out a little quicker than I’d like.

Etc
    A long distance thru hike likely isn’t in the cards for the for the foreseeable future so I try to get out as often as a can on regional trails while I have time off from work. I try to take advantage of long weekends and allocate as much vacation time as I can manage to backpacking, and the Pinhoti has been a trail I’ve kept coming back to over the last few years. The trail offers solitary hiking, even on the parts that are close to civilization, which is how I like it. It has been cool to watch the trail develop and see road walks that I completed become no more. I used free guides/data books available through the PTA for the entire trail. Thanks for reading if you made it this far and feel free to ask any questions!

Pinhoti 1.jpg
    Pinhoti 7.JPG
    Pinhoti 2.jpg
    Pinhoti 3.jpg
    Pinhoti 4.jpg
    Pinhoti 5.jpg
    Pinhoti 6.jpg
    Pinhoti 8.JPG
    1818BA08-134A-47D4-BB26-71C88BE782C0.jpeg
    Last edited by Slugg; 04-20-2020 at 22:09.
    Appalachian Trail ‘16-
    678/2198
    Pinhoti Trail ‘17-‘20
    321/321
    Benton MacKaye Trail ‘17-‘21
    286/286
    Bartram Trail ‘22
    116/116
    Foothills Trail ‘21
    78/78
    Palmetto Trail ‘22-
    22/380

Leonidas

Congrats on finishing the Pinhoti!
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Congratulations!

How did you get back to your car at the end of each section hike?

Thanks, JC and Perry!

Quote Originally Posted by Time Zone View Post
    How did you get back to your car at the end of each section hike?
    I either went with a friend and took two vehicles, or had famly come pick me up and shuttle me back to the car. I'm lucky enough to have family living near a lot of the GA section.
    Appalachian Trail ‘16-
    678/2198
    Pinhoti Trail ‘17-‘20
    321/321
    286/286
    Bartram Trail ‘22
    116/116
    Foothills Trail ‘21
    78/78
    Palmetto Trail ‘22-
    22/380

Went in and added a few (mediocre) pictures in case anyone's interested.
    Appalachian Trail ‘16-
    678/2198
    Pinhoti Trail ‘17-‘20
    321/321
    286/286
    Bartram Trail ‘22
    116/116
    Foothills Trail ‘21
    78/78
    Palmetto Trail ‘22-
    22/380

Congrats. I started sectioning the Pinhoti last year myself. I am very impressed with it so far. Eventually, I hope to have hiked in a continuous path from Flagg Mt to Katahdin.

I'm a bit envious. I did the Alabama section a few years ago and have yet to get back out to complete Georgia. It is, at least Alabama section, a great little trail.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Quote Originally Posted by steve_zavocki View Post
    Congrats. I started sectioning the Pinhoti last year myself. I am very impressed with it so far. Eventually, I hope to have hiked in a continuous path from Flagg Mt to Katahdin.
    What a trip that would be. You thinking hike the entire Pinhoti to the BMT, hike the BMT to the northern terminus where it meets the AT after the smokies, then hike the AT to Katahdin.

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    I'm a bit envious. I did the Alabama section a few years ago and have yet to get back out to complete Georgia. It is, at least Alabama section, a great little trail.
    Agreed.

And thanks Ruth!
    Last edited by Slugg; 04-21-2020 at 14:05.
    Appalachian Trail ‘16-
    678/2198
    Pinhoti Trail ‘17-‘20
    321/321
    286/286
    Bartram Trail ‘22
    116/116
    Foothills Trail ‘21
    78/78
    Palmetto Trail ‘22-
    22/380

Did you see any bicyclists on the Georgia section? You don't mention it.

I found this Pinhoti campsite right below Buddy Cove Gap close to FS road ?something or other. 62?? I got swarmed by bicyclists at this spot, of course.

TRIP 142 093-L.jpg
    What's neat is in this pic if you go right down into a gully there's a creek. And follow the trail up to Buddy Cove.

TRIP 142 088-L.jpg
    As with your picture is another of the northern Pinhoti terminus---as I came in on the BMT and got on the Pinhoti and immediately crossed the South Fork of Jacks River and used the Pinhoti to link me up to Three Forks Mt for a loop in the Cohutta.

Quote Originally Posted by Slugg View Post
    What a trip that would be. You thinking hike the entire Pinhoti to the BMT, hike the BMT to the northern terminus where it meets the AT after the smokies, then hike the AT to Katahdin.
    Hi Ruth,

Since I have a job and family, I doubt I could ever thru hike. I have been section hiking the AT regularly for about 4.5 years and have completed 44%.

Since I live in Pensacola, I thought I would try out the Pinhoti since it is only about 4 hours from me. I am very impressed with it, the quality of the trail is nearly as good as the AT and just as scenic. I am not a fan of long road walks, but I know they are working on those. I have completed 45 miles of the Pinhoti so far, all in Alabama. Eventually, when I finish the Pinhoti, I would hike the BMT to Springer and connect it that way. I haven't considered your idea, but will look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Did you see any bicyclists on the Georgia section? You don't mention it.

I found this Pinhoti campsite right below Buddy Cove Gap close to FS road ?something or other. 62?? I got swarmed by bicyclists at this spot, of course.

TRIP 142 093-L.jpg
    What's neat is in this pic if you go right down into a gully there's a creek. And follow the trail up to Buddy Cove.

TRIP 142 088-L.jpg
    As with your picture is another of the northern Pinhoti terminus---as I came in on the BMT and got on the Pinhoti and immediately crossed the South Fork of Jacks River and used the Pinhoti to link me up to Three Forks Mt for a loop in the Cohutta.
    I did run into mountain bikers on a few of the GA sections..
    Between Snake Creek Gap and Dug Gap and also in the Barnes Creek, Bear Creek, and Mountaintown Creek watersheds on the last 20 miles or so. I saw them in a few precarious spots I would not want to be on a bike at..Like down in areas with multiple large creeks that take some effort to ford.
    Appalachian Trail ‘16-
    678/2198
    Pinhoti Trail ‘17-‘20
    321/321
    286/286
    Bartram Trail ‘22
    116/116
    Foothills Trail ‘21
    78/78
    Palmetto Trail ‘22-
    22/380

Hi Ruth,

Since I have a job and family, I doubt I could ever thru hike. I have been section hiking the AT regularly for about 4.5 years and have completed 44%.

Since I live in Pensacola, I thought I would try out the Pinhoti since it is only about 4 hours from me. I am very impressed with it, the quality of the trail is nearly as good as the AT and just as scenic. I am not a fan of long road walks, but I know they are working on those. I have completed 45 miles of the Pinhoti so far, all in Alabama. Eventually, when I finish the Pinhoti, I would hike the BMT to Springer and connect it that way. I haven't considered your idea, but will look into it.
    Gotcha, just curious what your plans were. Your way would be cool too. That's a good chunk of the AT knocked out in not too much time for a section hiker in my estimation. I'm in the same boat as far as thru-hiking for the foreseeable future.

I was just thanking someone with the username Ruth by the way, that's not my name
    Appalachian Trail ‘16-
    678/2198
    Pinhoti Trail ‘17-‘20
    321/321
    286/286
    Bartram Trail ‘22
    116/116
    Foothills Trail ‘21
    78/78
    Palmetto Trail ‘22-
    22/380

Quote Originally Posted by Slugg View Post
    Gotcha, just curious what your plans were. Your way would be cool too. That's a good chunk of the AT knocked out in not too much time for a section hiker in my estimation. I'm in the same boat as far as thru-hiking for the foreseeable future.

I was just thanking someone with the username Ruth by the way, that's not my name

Sorry Slugg, I guess I should be more careful replying to the right person.

My plans for the AT are to hike about 250 a year. This year I hiked 39 miles of PA in early February (501 to Ecksville over 3 trips), but that is it so far. I was supposed to hike last Sunday in NC but had to push that back a bit. I had trip planned for wife's birthday that included white water rafting and zip lining near Hot Springs and Allen Gap to HS. Currently waiting for Hot Springs to open up before we can go.

Then in June hopefully a 45 mile section in southern VA from Ceres to Fox Creek with my nephew (this one is iffy). Then wife and I are flying to Boston in late July and will hike from Grafton Notch, ME to Gorham, NH. In September, I have solo trip to fly to Albany and hike from Manchester, VT to Lee, MA. The final trip will be with my 9 and 11 year old kids from Newfound Gap to Standing Bear in November.

For the Pinhoti, I hope take my 11 year old daughter and hike from Clairmont Gap to Cheoha SP in a few weeks. By year end, I hope to have all of the trail South of 1-20.

For the Pinhoti, I hope take my 11 year old daughter and hike from Clairmont Gap to Cheoha SP in a few weeks. By year end, I hope to have all of the trail South of 1-20.
    That trip with your daughter’s going to be amazing! Part of my favorite stretch of trail.

I plan to start working my way up the AT as well once I finish off the BMT. Sounds like you’ve got some great adventures planned. Awesome that you’re getting your kids exposed to the trail as well.
    Last edited by Slugg; 04-21-2020 at 21:05.
    Appalachian Trail ‘16-
    678/2198
    Pinhoti Trail ‘17-‘20
    321/321
    286/286
    Bartram Trail ‘22
    116/116
    Foothills Trail ‘21
    78/78
    Palmetto Trail ‘22-
    22/380

Hey Steve Z, I sent you a private message about your section hike plans. Was hoping I could join you for a few trips. But I see you have all your trips planned in advance with lots of family and friends so may not need a new hiking buddy! I'm not that lucky.

++ New Posts ++