WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Pacerpoles? Anyone out there try them and NOT like them?

I’ve had my REI Komperdell Carbon Fibers for 5-7yrs and the locks have just started failing...breaking. I guess I have to replace them?

I am considering PacerPoles. I see a lot about PacerPoles and their faithful seem faithful. Anyone try them and dislike them? Reasons and alternates?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Chain Saw; 04-17-2020 at 23:52.
    -This SUCKS...and I love it!
    Chain Saw

Last edited by JNI64; 04-18-2020 at 07:01.

Seems like they'd be good for flat or moderately hilly walking but that handle angle might be detrimental to using them for climbs and descents. Just a thought although no real experience of them.

FWIW - I have tried these poles and found they didn't have the performance range that "standard grip" poles have for my use, though I can see why some people like them. I found them comfortable on flat and slightly uphill/downhill terrain, but once I got onto 7% to 10% slopes I did not find them all that useful (certainly no better) as compared to standard grip poles. I didn't not particularly care for the locking system, some adjusting screws would've helped. And when going downhill on steep grades, there was some bending issues with the poles that may compromise carbon poles that don't have a lot of lateral strength.

I bushwhack on most hikes, sometimes it comprises the better part of the day and could not use the poles similarly to how I use standard grip poles to shield my face/head as I move through laurel, briars, and other branch hazards. Water crossings were a little clumsy with the Pacer Pole grips and did not allow "top of the knob" gripping as I was used to with standard grip poles, though this may be something that ebbs with more use.

The fellow I borrowed the pacers from cited a few issues with the retail side of Pacer, having to ship things back and forth to England. While I understand the new make-believe virtual marketing on the vaunted inter-web, I have to agree having a regional if not local retail presence would be better for both Pacer and their prospective customers. However this is an issue outside of pole performance.

Over all, using both the Pacer and standard grip poles in the same conditions, I found the standard grip poles worked best for my use.

In a number of recent years I've hiked over 2500 miles, and I essentially always use trekking poles. I used the Pacer poles for about 8 months and about 700 miles. Previously I'd used Leki poles, and liked the Lekis, but the poles were suffering from age and frequent use. I could never get used to the feel of the grips on the Pacer poles; I felt that the material was just not as comfortable on the hand as the cork or foam on some of my other poles. Since I have very bad knees (the reason I always use poles), I was willing to give up some hand comfort for the advertised better ergonomics of the Pacer poles. Unfortunately, I did not find any of the advertised advantages in my use of the Pacers, both on trail and in the bush. I found that the Pacers did not swing as easily as other poles (weight distribution difference), and that I often could not get a grip that helped me use the poles for good traction, balance and forward motion. The straw that broke the back was that the Pacer pole joints, which were always somewhat difficult to adjust and keep in place, became almost impossible to work. I would sometimes not be able to shorten the poles at all, because I couldn't get a joint loosened, or I would find the pole shortening on its own under relatively light loads. I now use Black Diamond poles, and find that the swing feels much better, I am better able to change grip position to deal with different terrain, and the joints are solid when needed, but the poles still collapse readily when I want it. I use two BD poles: the distance plus FLZ and the trail pro. I find the BD poles have a more solid feel, and are trivial to maintain compared to Pacer. I still very occasionally will use a Leki pole, good poles, just not as comfortable for me.
    By the way, I did find that ordering the Pacers from England was not a big problem. However, when I did place the order, I ordered what I thought would be necessary replacement parts since I didn't want to pay the extra shipping costs.
    Trail name Catnapper

Journeyman Journeyer
    Images

I have BD, Leki, and Pacer poles. Out of those three I prefer in order Leki, BD, the Pacer. I find that I can get the same effect as the Pacer poles with the other two brands simple by shortening the poles and palming the grips from above. There are three real negatives to me for the Pacer poles. The number one is the plastic the handles are made of. I prefer cork and the Pacer grips get uncomfortable when sweating heavily. Two is the locks, twist locks are not my fav. Three is that they work but are not the best for setting up shelters that use your poles. The grips are oddly shaped and don't work well with a "grip up" tent use.

I've hiked about 5000 miles with Pacerpoles and won't use anything else. Get the Dual Lock Carbon fiber ones if you buy. I have a bunch of reviews about them on my website, SectionHiker.com. People who try them adore them. Very very popular in the UK and fantastic if you hike up and down mountains a lot.

Philip Werner

Registered User Kaptain Kangaroo's Avatar
    Images

I tried them and found that they are not as flexible in use as standard poles with (correctly used) wrist straps. Poles with straps allow you to load up the pole at a much great range of angles than the Pacerpoles, especially on very steep downhills. I also found that the Pacerpoles were OK for a 1:1 stride to pole plant tempo, but when I am walking fast on flat ground I am usually taking 2 strides per pole plant.

I can see the Pacerpoles having some advantages if you can't use wrist straps, or don't know how to use them correctly, but standard poles with straps seem a much better system in more situations.

Images

While I like the concept, I prefer my standard MSR/Komperdell/Leki's. Reason being, I don't really ever grab the handles as much as I use the meaty part of my hand/palm against the straps, and the handles is loosely cupped in my hand, alleviating any uncomfortable positioning and also not stressing my hand or wrist in the exact same spot with each step.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

i have yet to meet someone who does not like his pacerpoles. i love mine, and ever since i have them i have never again taken the lekis out of my closet.

its different, and i had to adjust the way i use poles. i walk more upright now, pushing forward with the poles rather than (like i used to with the lekis) trying to get weight off the knees with leaning into the straps. if i need to lean on them, like on a big step downhill, i can do so, no problem with the angled grip. and i dont miss the straps at all until i get to a point where climbing is involved and i have to let go of the poles every once in a while. they do have a little rubberband to fix them on the arms which i usually never use.
    happy trails
    lucky luke

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I haven't tried the Pacer Pole, but I do use cane grip poles like these: https://mountainsmith.com/globetrott...SABEgJdWPD_BwE

Leki and Komperdell make a similar item. If you mainly use poles for the downhills, these are great because of the straight in-line hand position you can get, like the Pacer Pole. The rest of the time - well, the jury is still out. I'll just have to do some more hiking. I tend to go with a "pole of the day" approach, sometimes using canes, sometimes poles, often only one.

++ New Posts ++