WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I have tried a few ultralight packs along the way and though I liked the idea of ultralight packs I never found them very comfortable. To echo Slo-Go'en, the UL packs I have tried were basically sacks with straps, light as hell but I could not get comfortable in the shoulder straps and without ventilation back sweat was an issue and caused other problems including chafing. That said, I probably had near the limit of about 20-lbs or so that I stuffed into them and had to repack them a few times to get the pack to ride better and get some padding against my back. The overall experience was educational and through that I figured out that pack chassis and suspension meant more to me in comfort than the 2-pounds weight savings and financial impact.

So, I went after the weight issue differently through examination of gear I carried which proved to do the trick and left me with a comfortable pack and load. Every time I went out for any overnight trips I kept a journal of what I used. I was surprised at all the small and seemingly necessary stuff I carried that was rarely, if ever used and started getting rid of things that weren't routinely used. I would pose questions to myself, Did I really need two pairs of spare socks, or did one pair work? Can I upgrade rain gear so the jacket can double as a windbreaker when needed? Should I get a canister stove as opposed to my faithful Whisper Light stove? Suffice to say, through some little used gear removal I saved about half a pound, followed by another three pounds with some needed gear upgrades that served dual purpose or provided better gear at less weight.

The end result was a total weight savings of nearly 3-pounds to base weight. I was fortunate for the opportunity to try out a few ultralight packs. I think they are a great idea if one is comfortable wearing them. It was a good lesson to learn and I continue to this day with the "Did I Use It" Journal.

I would suggest the ULA Circuit (as did another poster). I have found that it is strong enough to work all 4 seasons and yet light enough to use a s a day pack if desired. My total loaded pack weight varies between 22 and 28 lbs.

Journal Entries

In my experience packs first need to be supportive of the load carried If their not they are not going to be comfortable. There is a reason for a frame in a backpack. I have also found that a lighter pack may feel better initially, but a properly supported pack will feel better over the miles. So it's sometime hard to see the benefit.

For me I wouldn't consider frameless unless my total pack weight (not base weight, but what the bag weighs on my back as packed for the trail) is under 10 lbs. Then I would rather carry an extra 1.5 lbs for proper support. This would go up to 25-30 lbs when I would want to switch to external frame. YMMV

Images

Really like my REI Flash 55

Your Deuter is a great pack, nothing wrong with it.
    If the size meets your needs and it fits your body, just keep it.

There are lighter packs, but lighter most often means less durable.

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by QiWiz View Post
    At the risk of overwhelming your choices, suggest you look at Gossamer Gear, Hyperlite Mountain Gear, Zpacks, and ULA. All have packs that might be just the perfect one for you.
    As a happy customer, I'd add Superior Wilderness Designs to that list.

But I echo above comments on pack weight. Unless you get your complete pack weight, including food and water, down under 25 lbs, packs by the above mentioned pack makers are not likely to be comfortable. That gets harder the longer you want to stay out, and as water sources dry up.
    Last edited by LDog; 04-10-2020 at 16:32.
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

I bought the Gossamer Gear Mariposa 60 as my transitional pack--from Osprey Aura 65. It carries weight well and the outer pockets help one think about gear list....if you don't evolve you won't fit everything inside..if you fit everything inside you are not using the full 60.

The hip belt and metal stays can be removed as one evolves--I am not there yet.

Default Boutique pack makers... First time user...

I really like six moon designs fusion series the 50L weighs 49oz so not the lightest but really comfortable. it's fully adjustable and the stay can be bent to fit your back and it's almost a barrel design so it's not just flat on your back helping to eliminate SBS. and can carry upwards of 40lbs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++