WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Always Getting Logged Out

Just wondering if we have a WB glitch whereby once I leave this site I have to log in again---as the site doesn't remember me like it used to.

Did you try a different browser? I have good luck with Chrome

I've been using Firefox for years and never had this problem until yesterday and today. When I do log in here I don't see the "remember me" box anymore. Hmmmm.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    I've been using Firefox for years and never had this problem until yesterday and today. When I do log in here I don't see the "remember me" box anymore. Hmmmm.
    The "remember me" box appears to be hidden in the advertisement just under the login. Usually it seems to be a "Whiteblaze pages" ad. You can make out the little box if you look really closely.

Just to the right of the word Login by your name and password is a little box. That's on the desktop page.

Multiple combinations though of device type, operating system, and browser. If that doesn't work, it would help to know what type of device and OS and then browser being used. I am not sure how it looks on Firefox.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    Just to the right of the word Login by your name and password is a little box. That's on the desktop page.

Multiple combinations though of device type, operating system, and browser. If that doesn't work, it would help to know what type of device and OS and then browser being used. I am not sure how it looks on Firefox.
    I'll add as well there are different styles for the forum, very bottom of the page left, and these also move the remember me box at times. I just switched to green from the professional and the box was placed under my username.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Journal Entries
    Images

Nothing has change and we have had not issues with the web site. It could be that your browsers cookies have gotten corrupted. You my have to deleted you cookies on the browser and see if that fixes it.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

I use Chrome, on a standard PC. I use the Ublock Origin and Disable HTML 5 Autoplay. I also don't save cookies for most websites. I'm assuming the no cookies option is what causes me to auto log out, despite the remember me box being checked. It could be one of the other extensions that cause it. I know just enough about computers to be dangerous.

It's no big deal. I prefer the PC privacy/safety over the convenience of staying logged in. Plus I try to keep up my membership, so I can support the site without seeing ads.

Edit: Speaking of which it was time to renew the membership here.

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    Nothing has change and we have had not issues with the web site. It could be that your browsers cookies have gotten corrupted. You my have to deleted you cookies on the browser and see if that fixes it.
    Okay thanks. I tweaked some stuff and I think it'll work. Oh and I did find that little Remember Me box.

Images

Here's a partial screen shot of how it appears in Chrome - Microsoft edge is similar. The box and text gets hidden by the banner ad.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.jpg

Yes, I finally saw the box. The primary question though---is why I got logged out to begin with---as I never get logged out---for years in fact. It's not coming from WB though---as it's most probably a glitch in my PC. Thanks for the replies.

Images

I believe that I have always gotten logged out after some time of inactivity. Probably some setting that I'm not aware of. But I never check the box. I'll check the box and see what happens. Home from work and bored. Work is shut down since Saturday for a deep cleaning after someone tested positive.

Images

Stayed logged in for 7+ hours even after closing browser.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Stayed logged in for 7+ hours even after closing browser.
    I highly doubt that you stayed logged in for 7+ hours after you closed all browser windows.
    If you have your password saved in you browser passwords then it will log you in automatically every time you come back to the site.
    Is this why you thought you stayed logged in?
    AT Troll (2010)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    I highly doubt that you stayed logged in for 7+ hours after you closed all browser windows.
    If you have your password saved in you browser passwords then it will log you in automatically every time you come back to the site.
    Is this why you thought you stayed logged in?
    I did have another window open. I only closed the one that WB was open in.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    I did have another window open. I only closed the one that WB was open in.
    Anyone, please correct me if I'm wrong. I believe that by checking the "box" you are having WB set a "cookie" that WB reads when you come back to the site. If you close the browser and clear this cookie, WB won't know your login info. If you don't clear this cookie, you should be able to get back into WB automatically. Just by closing the website, your browser may not be clearing this cookie. There is usually a setting in your browser to clear cookies when you shut down the browser.

As noted, this is usually a corruption of the cookies on your computer and your browser combination. So a different browser will appear that you just open the forum (this one, another forum...) and you are "logged on". Meanwhile, another browser on the same computer, "how come I'm never logged on and have to keep logging on?".
    So, clear your cookies. If you can just do WB, do that first.
    When I've had this issue, it is a PIA. The PIA is that I cleared ALL cookies. So I hit 10+ forums, Drums, hiking, cars....and when I clear, I won't be "Logged on" any of them. So after doing the clear, I have to logon everyone of them and check the "keep logged on" box. But then after that, it's good. I've not had to "log on" any of those 10+ forums in over a year (so cookies have been working).
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bbikebbs View Post
    Anyone, please correct me if I'm wrong. I believe that by checking the "box" you are having WB set a "cookie" that WB reads when you come back to the site. If you close the browser and clear this cookie, WB won't know your login info. If you don't clear this cookie, you should be able to get back into WB automatically. Just by closing the website, your browser may not be clearing this cookie. There is usually a setting in your browser to clear cookies when you shut down the browser.
    This is exactly how it works.
    AT Troll (2010)

++ New Posts ++