WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I was hiking with three girls, we all knew each other from an AT Facebook group, and started hiking with each other on Day #3. When we got near Hiawassee on our thru last year, we decided to nero at Top of Georgia. We decided to get a bunk room, leaving 3 empty bunks for folks coming in behind us.

While we were relaxing, I jumped into the top bunk, about to nap, and the girls were sorting their packs and supplies on the floor. We heard two of our friends entire the bunkhouse with the owner. Well, if you poked your head in the door of the room, apparently you couldn't see me. The owner said to the girls "These two fellows were hoping to share the bunkroom with you all, but I told them this room was only reserved for the prettiest young girls on the trail". I sat up quickly, he finally saw me, and I said "Ummm, excuse me sir!". To which he apologized profusely.

The girls ate that up (even though it's kind of messed up thing to say to a bunch of females), they were set out of the rest of the evening to turn that into a trail name. I was like "fine, you can pick it, but it needs to be family friendly". One of them had been listening to Michael Jackson a few days before and instantly said "I have it! Pretty Young Thing!" And I said "that's pretty long, how about P.Y.T.?", and they all agreed. So, there it is.

P.Y.T.
    Class of 2019, AT Flip Flop thru hiker

https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/sho...87-Trail-Names
    Will give you more reading material on this topic from 10 years ago.
    Backpacking light, feels so right.

Quote Originally Posted by couscous View Post
    https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/sho...87-Trail-Names
    Will give you more reading material on this topic from 10 years ago.
    Seen a few rocket and a few socks but didn't see any rocket socks whatsoever happened to that poster ? Use to love their quirky little funny post rocketsocks you still around? And if so what is the origin of your name?

Images

Back in the 70's and 80's I didn't have a trail name. It wasn't until I started hiking with my daughter in the late 90's that we both got our trail names. One day we were hiking on a planked section through a swampy area and she slipped off going ankle deep into the muck and water. That evening I bestowed the name "Soggy Feet" on her. She insisted that I also get a proper trail name - and the reasons behind mine are obvious.

Images

The scene: Morgan Stewart Shelter - July 2002

After dinner, I headed back the trail to the privy and then into the woods to take a leak. Walking through the woods to get back to the trail, I felt my right leg sink into what I thought was a small pothole. Now this was no peepie step – we’re talking full extension, plant the foot, and try to push off. Only problem was, the more I tried to push off, the farther in I sank. I don’t think I’ll ever forget the moment when I realized the full gravity of my predicament – I had stepped in the old privy hole! I extracted my foot (I was wearing my Teva sandals) and looked down to see my worst fears confirmed – my right foot and lower leg to mid-calf were covered with a thick coating of crap! I yelled to Krueser who was lounging obliviously near the shelter: “Fred, get over here, quick!” After he had finished doubling over with laughter, we headed down to the pump and began the lengthy clean-up process. Fortunately, this shelter had a good water source. An hour and many liberal applications of soap later, I felt reasonably clean. When they relocated the privy, the least they could have done was seal off the old hole.

Sometimes you get to choose your trail name, sometimes the trail chooses for you.

Fudge Foot

Is it raining yet?
    Images

For 2 years it seemed every single time I went camping it either rained or threatened to rain so I figured if you can't beat'm, join'm.
    Be Prepared

Quote Originally Posted by fudgefoot View Post
    The scene: Morgan Stewart Shelter - July 2002
    Fudge Foot
    God this sounds miserable lol

My trail name was "Buckeye". I'm from Ohio and went to Ohio State. Originally I didn't want a trail name. Frankly I thought the concept was kind of lame. I got tired of getting hassled about not having one so I went with the first thing that came to mind. I also thought it was an easy conversation starter. Every time I told someone my trail name they asked "Are you from Ohio?" and the conversation flowed from there. I didn't like it at first, but it grew on me over time.

Images

Smile

Back when I was still in the Army, I was assigned to RAND in Arlington, Va. As I was not assigned to a real Army unit, I was accounted for in a school account, and for purposes of pay, leave and any other personnel actions I was "managed" by a unit at Ft Jackson. Working with a private, civilian organization I found I had a lot of long weekends off (Fri-Sun). Just coming off of a 911 related assignment I had a lot of use or lose leave saved up. So, I'd extend those long weekends and go backpacking. I would call the leave section at Ft Jackson to process leaves. One day I overheard the clerk tell the PSNCO - We need to furlough the Colonel (I was an LTC) again so he can go on a hike. So, I choose Furlough. 17 years on and I still use it.

As a side note - some years back on a hike setup by Teacher from Gathland State Park to Harpers Ferry, there was a young lady (Speed Bump) I think was her name. She could not remember Furlough, and would call me Fugitive. Could be a good trail name with the right back story.
    Last edited by Furlough; 03-28-2020 at 09:52.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

Images

I like carbohydrates and my name is Bob Carlson (hence Carbo). Also, if I continue hiking for a few more years it will help me remember my real name when I'm in my 80's
    Simple is good.

PACKBACKER
    No, not a anagram for backpacker.
    I was raised in Wisconsin, which means I grew up a Green Bay fan.
    'Nuff said?
    I always hike with a GB baseball cap.

I recently had my right knee replaced and my wife says I'm a jerk. (Prior to that it was "Stumbling Bear.")
    Last edited by Knee Jerk; 03-30-2020 at 21:52.
    "Never fart in your sleeping bag."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++