WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Since it's still winter where I live, I just leave my fleece gloves on when shopping. The virus doesn't survive long on fabric. It will survive a long time on plastic, so plastic gloves could be counter productive.

So far, 0 cases in Coos county, but plenty just to our south. Tip of the iceberg.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Here's my procedure for the past 15 years after I thot I was gonna die of flu in 2005.I have a BIG pump bottle of alcohol gel in the console of my car.I apply gel before I get out of car and immediately upon returning and before touching the steering wheel.Have not had another case of flu in 15 years.I wash my hands frequently year round out of habit as I was trained to do it as a child.

I would not have caught the flu in 05 if SOMEONE had not come to work sick as a dog and spread it around.When this is over,I hope an honest effort will be made to encourage sick people to stay home and help keep down seasonal flu and other respiratory infections.Personally,I would support checking people for fevers before admittance to public buildings.Not holding my breath on that one though.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloud View Post
    I guess my real point is that I don't care if 100,000 people die. Or a million. Or 2 million. The human suffering brought about by the destruction of the world economy by this mass hysteria will be far worse.

We are all going to die at some point of some thing; and this thing is largely killing older and/or ill people. Yes, wash your hands, etc etc. But to destroy civilization in the process is antithetical.
    Interesting what startling character traits appear from the anonymity of the internet. But I have to say on the second part of this I really enjoyed the Alex Jones, famed liar and DWI enthusiast, approach, decrying the "destruction of civilization" due to social isolation solutions to slow the spread of a highly infective contagion. Clearly, the known benefit of limiting exposure between people to reduce the speed and numbers of those infected is much more advantageous to that population overall than is keeping malls open.
    Last edited by Traveler; 03-23-2020 at 07:31.

Default Coronavirus Complicates Appalachian Trail Hikers’ Plans - NBC4 Washington

Well said!
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloud View Post
    I guess my real point is that I don't care if 100,000 people die. Or a million. Or 2 million. The human suffering brought about by the destruction of the world economy by this mass hysteria will be far worse.

We are all going to die at some point of some thing; and this thing is largely killing older and/or ill people. Yes, wash your hands, etc etc. But to destroy civilization in the process is antithetical.

If you think Americans will stay cooped up in their homes for long, you are only kidding yourselves.

We're not going to go into politics on this. If it stays hiking related not an issue.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

There's a broader thread on this here so this one is being closed.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Default Mitigating The Spread Of Covid-19 (Coronavirus) On The Appalachian Trail - NewsReleas

Default Coronavirus: What is the trail etiquette for staying safe on WNC hiking trails? - Cit

Default The ATC asks people to "Please stay off the Appalachian Trail", Including Day Hikes -

Full text of message:

In these unprecedented times, I am making an unprecedented request: please stay away from the Appalachian Trail (A.T.). Whether your hike is for a couple of hours or a couple of days. Staying away from the Trail minimizes the spread or contraction of COVID-19.
    In a time when social distancing is necessary to minimize the spread and contraction of a dangerous virus, many have escaped to nature seeking isolation and unpopulated spaces. On the Appalachian Trail, however, what they’ve found are trailhead parking lots exceeding their maximum capacities, shelters full of overnight hikers, day hikers using picnic tables and privies, and group trips continuing as planned. Popular spots along the Trail like Blood Mountain in Georgia, the McAfee Knob area in Virginia, and Annapolis Rocks in Maryland have seen day use reach record-breaking levels. Cars line the highways leading to popular day-hiking spots on the Trail. Hiking the A.T. has become, in other words, the opposite of social distancing.
    These same crowds accessing the A.T. may not know how a simple half-day hike can spread COVID-19. While hiking, they may have eaten lunch at a picnic table, taken a break in a shelter, used a privy, or shared a map or food with someone unknowingly infected with COVID-19 and carried this highly contagious virus back to their communities at the end of the day. They may not have realized that ATC staff and Trail volunteers have been recalled from the A.T. and cannot maintain the footpath, trailheads, shelters and privies that may be heavily (or permanently) impacted by increased visitor use. And, they may not be aware of the rural communities adjacent to the Trail that may not have the healthcare resources to help a sick hiker or volunteer or manage a COVID-19 outbreak should a hiker transport the virus in from the Trail.
    Many day hikers see the outdoors as an escape from the stresses of these difficult times. But with crowding from day hikers reaching unmanageable levels and the lack of any staff or volunteers to manage this traffic, it is necessary that all hikers avoid accessing the Trail. The A.T. is not a separate reality from the communities in which hikers live – so, until the risk of spreading COVID-19 has reduced significantly, hiking on a heavily-trafficked trail like the A.T. potentially increases rather than reduces harm.
    The ATC does not want to do too little, too late. We cannot close the Trail. We cannot physically bar access to trailheads or connecting trails. We can and do, however, urge everyone to please stay away from the Appalachian Trail until further notice.
    There is an unfortunate truth about this virus: unless everyone is safe, no one is safe. So, take a walk around the block. Spend time with your loved ones. And, please, stay home.
    Sincerely,

Sandra Marra
    President & CEO
    Appalachian Trail Conservancy

Default Appalachian Trail Conservancy: 'Please stay away from the Appalachian Trail' - Carlis

really. take a walk around my block instead of walking on the trail? so, the people is not important to you....ir your trail? huh? This whole message is gross. you are suppose to protect the trail. not play corporate b.s.. which is what this is. nobody wants anyone to get sick or possibly die. that's sad. but, you are President of an organization that operates one of the ....if not the....iconic trail systems in the world. know your audience. most long distance hikers.....i beleive...hike for the challenge .....and for the freedom. now, you are asking me/them to hide in their living room. walk around the block. you're right ....i wouldn't or would......if I had the virus.....by walking around my block. please.

I am convinced just because of sheer numbers that I would better chance of contracting the covid-19 virus in my local area than on any trail. including the AT.

yes, let me cower in my home. that is a sad , sad way of living. actually if you cower you're not living. I'm not saying go out and run around everywhere. I'm saying instead of cowering ....be smart.....get better at hiking.

ATC....instead of telling people to stay off trail....maybe you should think of ways for people to hike smarter.....why not.

education is the key

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

good glad I'm not the only one who was like *** at tat ATC email/message...
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

Quote Originally Posted by Wesgoat View Post
    really. take a walk around my block instead of walking on the trail? so, the people is not important to you....ir your trail? huh? This whole message is gross. you are suppose to protect the trail. not play corporate b.s.. which is what this is. nobody wants anyone to get sick or possibly die. that's sad. but, you are President of an organization that operates one of the ....if not the....iconic trail systems in the world. know your audience. most long distance hikers.....i beleive...hike for the challenge .....and for the freedom. now, you are asking me/them to hide in their living room. walk around the block. you're right ....i wouldn't or would......if I had the virus.....by walking around my block. please.

I am convinced just because of sheer numbers that I would better chance of contracting the covid-19 virus in my local area than on any trail. including the AT.

yes, let me cower in my home. that is a sad , sad way of living. actually if you cower you're not living. I'm not saying go out and run around everywhere. I'm saying instead of cowering ....be smart.....get better at hiking.

ATC....instead of telling people to stay off trail....maybe you should think of ways for people to hike smarter.....why not.

education is the key

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    When I hiked on Saturday, people were very close to me because there was no room to step off the trail, having slopes on both sides. I also used the facilities before and after my hike which was probably used by many other people. The parking lots were full and people were everywhere. I’ve never seen that many people in that particular park. It was crazy.

When I walked in my neighborhood, which included walking over to a local greenway, people were far apart and had space to step off the path/road. I was close enough to home that I used my own bathroom, not one used by the public.

I saw less people at my local organic grocery store than I saw out hiking on Saturday. It made me feel rather stupid.

I am not cowering but I am being smart and protecting those who depend on me to be healthy. I am a nurse and have my priorities in order.

Default Everybody stay off the Appalachian Trail during coronavirus, says trail organization

Default The Arizona Trail is open, but should thru-hikers make the journey? - Arizona Daily S

Default Appalachian Trail preservation group urges hikers to stay away during COVID-19 outbre

Default Too popular since coronavirus: Hikers urged to avoid Appalachian Trail - York Daily R

Default Appalachian trail conservancy advises all hikers to stay off the appalachian trail -

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++