Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 133
  1. #41
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-23-2019
    Location
    Harpers ferry wv.
    Age
    56
    Posts
    591

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    With all due respect to everyone in this forum,why do the lives of those 18,000 plus seasonal flu deaths seem to be less valuable than the 285 people who have died so far of corona virus?

    Not saying we shouldn't take the corona threat seriously,just saying we should not be nonchalant and accepting of all those seasonal flu deaths that happen by the thousands annually.
    Yeah kinda a rude, inappropriate, false bad timing statement. As you can see all around the world how quickly this thing is spreading and the mortality rate. This Corona virus is a new strain nobody's ever seen before making it more dangerous. I don't think anybody cares less about the poor souls that die of flu every year. We need to stand together as Americans and get through this with as less death as possible. With no political bs...

  2. #42

    Default These Still-Open Hiking Trails Are the Safest Way to Escape DC This Weekend - InsideH


  3. #43

    Default Appalachian Trail hikers urged to go home, Trail Days canceled due to coronavirus pan


  4. #44

    Default Coronavirus lures many to the Appalachian Trail for 'social distancing' outdoors - Mo


  5. #45

  6. #46

    Default Coronavirus lures many to the Appalachian Trail for 'social distancing' outdoors - Th


  7. #47
    Furlough's Avatar
    Join Date
    03-17-2004
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Age
    58
    Posts
    884
    Images
    124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloud View Post
    We'll see how absurd all this is at the end when fewer people have died of it than the flu, car accidents or cancer.
    ….and if the spread of COVID-19 is checked resulting in fewer deaths and those with the illness, it will be in part due to quaranting and exercising good judgement as depicted by the ATC. You can also add the PCTA to your list who are virtue signaling as they have just asked folks to cancel PCT plans due to COVID-19.
    Last edited by Furlough; 03-22-2020 at 18:01.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

  8. #48

    Default

    I worry that the folks who think this is a "scam" or "no worse then the flu" etc. are not going to do the right thing and take social distancing seriously. They are the ones who are most likely to get coronavirus and spread it around making things worse for everybody. Individualism is a part of the American psyche but now is the time to put the greater good above your own wants and desires. Be a good citizen and stay home even if you think this is a "scam".
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

  9. #49
    Is it raining yet?
    Join Date
    07-15-2004
    Location
    Kensington, MD
    Age
    43
    Posts
    874
    Images
    51

    Default

    I guess my real point is that I don't care if 100,000 people die. Or a million. Or 2 million. The human suffering brought about by the destruction of the world economy by this mass hysteria will be far worse.

    We are all going to die at some point of some thing; and this thing is largely killing older and/or ill people. Yes, wash your hands, etc etc. But to destroy civilization in the process is antithetical.

    If you think Americans will stay cooped up in their homes for long, you are only kidding yourselves.
    Be Prepared

  10. #50
    John B's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-04-2005
    Location
    .......................
    Age
    59
    Posts
    1,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloud View Post
    I guess my real point is that I don't care if 100,000 people die. Or a million. Or 2 million. The human suffering brought about by the destruction of the world economy by this mass hysteria will be far worse.
    We are all going to die at some point of some thing; and this thing is largely killing older and/or ill people. Yes, wash your hands, etc etc. But to destroy civilization in the process is antithetical.
    If you think Americans will stay cooped up in their homes for long, you are only kidding yourselves.
    You don't care if a million people die? What about your parents? Don't care if they live or die? You have a wife and kids? Don't care? Friends? Don't care? I think that you have problems that need to be heard by a professional rather than WB. I hope you can get some help.

  11. #51
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-23-2019
    Location
    Harpers ferry wv.
    Age
    56
    Posts
    591

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloud View Post
    I guess my real point is that I don't care if 100,000 people die. Or a million. Or 2 million. The human suffering brought about by the destruction of the world economy by this mass hysteria will be far worse.

    We are all going to die at some point of some thing; and this thing is largely killing older and/or ill people. Yes, wash your hands, etc etc. But to destroy civilization in the process is antithetical.

    If you think Americans will stay cooped up in their homes for long, you are only kidding yourselves.
    Probably just making such statements to see what kind of responses you get. You're a moron.

  12. #52

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloud View Post
    .......I guess my real point is that I don't care if 100,000 people die. Or a million. Or 2 million. The human suffering brought about by the destruction of the world economy by this mass hysteria will be far worse........
    You seem to think its an either/or proposition - have a depression if we take steps to prevent people from dying or let folks die and the economy will be fine. The economy will be in trouble in both scenarios, no avoiding it either way.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

  13. #53

    Default

    I'm not opposed to self quarantine,social distancing,essential movement only etc as I have been living like that for several years already.I do object to the haphazard way the governor of Florida handled Spring Break,however.Do I understand correctly that individual municipalities had to close their on beaches?If so,I applaud them for doing that.

    But BlackCloud is right about the economic consequences because we cannot shutdown the world's biggest economy indefinitely.So how long is the shut down proposed to last?Any scheduled dates?

  14. #54
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-23-2019
    Location
    Harpers ferry wv.
    Age
    56
    Posts
    591

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    I'm not opposed to self quarantine,social distancing,essential movement only etc as I have been living like that for several years already.I do object to the haphazard way the governor of Florida handled Spring Break,however.Do I understand correctly that individual municipalities had to close their on beaches?If so,I applaud them for doing that.

    But BlackCloud is right about the economic consequences because we cannot shutdown the world's biggest economy indefinitely.So how long is the shut down proposed to last?Any scheduled dates?
    From the last press conference they were talking about a 15 day plan which we are on day 7 . Keeping everyone apart from each other is the only the way to not spread this thing and totally overwhelming our system. (Stopping the curve). Just look at Italy right now and now there's a second wave starting to hit east Asia. As far as spring break they had no choice but to shut everything down the kids are getting sick and spreading the disease. The latest 40% of hospital patients are under 55. The idea is beat this thing with little death as possible and as quickly as possible and bounce back right where we were.

  15. #55
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-23-2019
    Location
    Harpers ferry wv.
    Age
    56
    Posts
    591

    Default

    The only reason there's been just a few hundred deaths so far is the way that's been handled, shutting down like or not I think it's working. The current administration just got thrown one hell of a curve ball, if only the Chinese would have given the world a heads up when they new they had a problem months ago.

  16. #56
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-23-2019
    Location
    Harpers ferry wv.
    Age
    56
    Posts
    591

    Default

    And say this doesn't work as well as intended and we do suffer alot of death can you imagine what it would have been like if they didn't shut down? So if you were king what would you be doing differently?

  17. #57
    4eyedbuzzard's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-02-2007
    Location
    DFW, TX / Northern NH
    Age
    63
    Posts
    7,941
    Images
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    I'm not opposed to self quarantine,social distancing,essential movement only etc as I have been living like that for several years already.I do object to the haphazard way the governor of Florida handled Spring Break,however.Do I understand correctly that individual municipalities had to close their on beaches?If so,I applaud them for doing that.

    But BlackCloud is right about the economic consequences because we cannot shutdown the world's biggest economy indefinitely.So how long is the shut down proposed to last?Any scheduled dates?
    Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    From the last press conference they were talking about a 15 day plan which we are on day 7 . Keeping everyone apart from each other is the only the way to not spread this thing and totally overwhelming our system. (Stopping the curve). Just look at Italy right now and now there's a second wave starting to hit east Asia. As far as spring break they had no choice but to shut everything down the kids are getting sick and spreading the disease. The latest 40% of hospital patients are under 55. The idea is beat this thing with little death as possible and as quickly as possible and bounce back right where we were.
    Well, we haven't shut down the entire economy. We've shut down certain parts of it that congregate people and that don't produce a product or service that is life sustaining. Which for better or worse is a very large part of 1st world economies. But even though these economic components are "non-essential", the economic fallout from doing so is really ugly, and it seems far from over. The shutdowns will flatten the infection rate, but even so the mortality numbers look really scary. EDIT: Add that grocery stores, pharmacies, hardware/home improvement stores are still seeing large congregations of people. I'm not sure how we can ever really isolate people from one another enough given that people still need food and basic supplies. I don't see a fast bounce back from this economically either. It will take some time for people to regain confidence in financial markets. Spending, investing priorities, and strategies may well change for an entire generation.

    Can't say I'm thrilled about going to work tomorrow. For everyone here that is required to work, do everything possible in terms cleaning surfaces, washing hands, etc. But know that only covers some estimated 30% of the infection transmission route. The other 70% is airborne. More importantly, maintain distance from coworkers and the public when and if possible. From what I understand, the virions are largely transmitted in the air and can linger suspended in air for up to 10 minutes. N-95 respirator masks will help - if properly fitted - but there are big shortages and they are unavailable to many people. Even so, they are difficult to work in while wearing, and need to be changed out if suspected of being contaminated. Stay safe as possible. Get medical help if you get exposed or start to show any symptoms. The medical community estimates that ultimately 40 to 70% of the population will get infected. Many of us are going to be the first ones
    Last edited by 4eyedbuzzard; 03-22-2020 at 18:10.

  18. #58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    And say this doesn't work as well as intended and we do suffer alot of death can you imagine what it would have been like if they didn't shut down? So if you were king what would you be doing differently?
    If your question is directed at me,I didn't say I don't agree with shutting it down for a while,just wondering how long before we can come out of hiding.

    Also,is anyone wearing gloves out in public?If not,why not?

  19. #59
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-23-2019
    Location
    Harpers ferry wv.
    Age
    56
    Posts
    591

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    If your question is directed at me,I didn't say I don't agree with shutting it down for a while,just wondering how long before we can come out of hiding.

    Also,is anyone wearing gloves out in public?If not,why not?
    My question was directed at who ever. Wearing gloves in public really does you no good, if your wearing gloves and touch your face you still infect yourself. If your out regardless don't touch your face and you get home wash your hands.

  20. #60

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    ..............Also,is anyone wearing gloves out in public?If not,why not?
    I don't. I use hand sanitizer after I leave the grocery store which the only public place I go. If I had enough gloves I would wear them at the store. My wife has been working from home but had to go to work to get something that she needs to work from home and she wore gloves while in the office and threw them away before getting in her car.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •