WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Images

Man, I just cannot get my head around going back to the gym yet, just doesn't seem safe, and I'm not overly Covid-paranoid in other things. I'm attempting to do the 100-100 pushup challenge, 100 days of 100 pushups/day. Not really a balanced upper body workout, but better than nuthin'.

I started doing sit ups about a month ago. Couldn't do a single one when I started without using my arms to help. Now I can do 30 with my hands behind my head and the results are noticeable. My gut no longer protrudes past my chest Just now starting to work on my arms, noticed they have lost a lot of strength. My legs are no problem...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I'm in the process of buying a new house with a 2 car garage which I'll be turning into my own gym. There's alot stuff you can do with your own body weight like push-ups, sit-up, crunches, jumping jacks, lunges, real mountain climbers, squats, planks,etc.....

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I started doing sit ups about a month ago. Couldn't do a single one when I started without using my arms to help. Now I can do 30 with my hands behind my head and the results are noticeable. My gut no longer protrudes past my chest Just now starting to work on my arms, noticed they have lost a lot of strength. My legs are no problem...
    That's awesome good for you! Just be careful not to pull on your head with your hands it could possibly do neck damage.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Man, I just cannot get my head around going back to the gym yet, just doesn't seem safe, and I'm not overly Covid-paranoid in other things. I'm attempting to do the 100-100 pushup challenge, 100 days of 100 pushups/day. Not really a balanced upper body workout, but better than nuthin'.
    Hey rob, for a deviation from the regular push-ups cause they get boring and your body adjust quickly to everyday routines. Try the triceps push-ups put your hands together touching fore fingers and thumbs forming a triangle, put one hand at regular position and the other at your waist, decline push-ups feet on a box, inclined push-ups hands on a box, arms extended hands together advanced move. Just a good way to mix it up and involve other muscle groups.

That's awesome! About 5 (?) years ago I couldn't do a single sit up so made it my New Year's goal. It took me a LOT longer than you but I eventually got there. Then I made a goal to do push ups and worked and worked and still can't do more than one or two real push-ups but just trying has made me stronger. I'm doing a lot of arm stuff at the gym right now and hope to finally do some push ups soon.

Man, I just cannot get my head around going back to the gym yet, just doesn't seem safe, and I'm not overly Covid-paranoid in other things.
    I know. But it's no riskier than where I work or shop and my mental and physical health was suffering.

Sweet, sweet day. Got up early and biked before it got too hot then kayaked on the lake...followed by Bruster's ice cream for the first time in 3 years (which I'll pay for later).

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    Hey rob, for a deviation from the regular push-ups cause they get boring and your body adjust quickly to everyday routines. Try the triceps push-ups put your hands together touching fore fingers and thumbs forming a triangle, put one hand at regular position and the other at your waist, decline push-ups feet on a box, inclined push-ups hands on a box, arms extended hands together advanced move. Just a good way to mix it up and involve other muscle groups.
    Excellent idea, thanks. I'll swap it out day to day. I kinda lied; I'm only about 10 days into the 100-100 challenge, and I'm only up to 80 per day, 4 sets of 20. this next week I'll be up to the 100/day and start the 100-day count. Easy to get injured at my age, and mixing up the variety like you mention will help, thanks!

Yep, I need to add some daily core/ab exercises too, and agree on the leg thing, no worries below the waist (!), but feel it's important for hikers to keep the upper body tone as well.

Yep, I need to add some daily core/ab exercises too, and agree on the leg thing, no worries below the waist (!), but feel it's important for hikers to keep the upper body tone as well.
    I didn't have much of a belly to loose but it was a bit flabby. After a month of sit-ups, over all I feel better and I think my posture has improved with the better core strength.

I haven't done much hiking this last month due to the extreme heat and humidity. I can't wait for fall and winter again! The best I can do is a 4 mile round trip road walk in the evening to the lake and back when it cools off some. My neighbors Border Collie likes to tag along for the walk too. That's one hyperactive dog

Hiked once again yesterday on the Tux trail prior to Zeta coming in today (yet another hurricane). Now just waiting out Zeta. Have a funny story from yesterday's hike. I parked at a forrestry road crossing and headed north. 1/4 m in, I encountered a vehicle stuck on the hiking trail spinning its wheels with trash strewn all around it. The idiot driver wasn't exactly sure how he got there. Said he was following a hunting path. I couldn't see a path anywhere except the hiking trail. He was trying to figure out how somebody was going to get to him and pull him out. I don't own a truck so I couldn't help. I politely reminded him that that the forestry service does not allow driving on ungraded paths to prevent people from getting stuck. I wished him well and continued hiking. I called forestry dispatcher and let them know. They said they would send someone. By the time I got back he was gone, but not his trash. I gathered up most of that and headed back to car. I feel for the forest rangers. They have enough to deal with without having to save people from their own stupidity. I appreciate our rangers. They are short-staffed because some are out west helping to battle fires.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Started dead lifting this week and I’m so sore! I’m convinced that as I get older, strength training is imperative if I’m to continue hiking/backpacking. It’s amazing how easy it has become to squat and stand up from a squat.

if anyone has trouble wth

..with squats, try putting a stability ball between the small of your back and the wall and lean into the ball while squatting. It removes the stress on your knees. When ready, hold 10-20lb weights.

LOL!I did a chin up on my bar today.Maxed me out! Then I went grocery shopping and picked up a bag of iced oatmeal cookies-trail food don'tchaknow.........

Hey, that’s one more chin up than I can do. Good job!

I feel your pain Traffic Jam.

I've been sitting out the spring melt down. Last hike was the end of March. Guess what? It's snowing again What looked like an early spring might end up being a prolonged mud season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    Hey, that’s one more chin up than I can do. Good job!
    Thanks.Today I did one and a half.

Not today but Saturday I went to a outdoor rock show 6 bands ,great weather, 15 minutes from my house, I didn't see 1 mask!!
    Oh man ,oh man it felt so good! You know " normal stuff.

It was the very first outdoor show in WV since 2019 .
    About 500 people, the one in 2 weeks probably closer to a thousand and the one August is some big bands probably several thousand. We're coming back stronger then ever !!

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
++ New Posts ++