WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    As a member of a higher risk group, I don’t consider haircuts essential.
    I managed to get my spring shearing before the lock down. I'm good for another 6 months now
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Once people go back in circulation it's a risk I will take as there's usually less than four people in the shop when I get my haircut.Our local grocery store has instituted a special time each week for us old people to shop so I will be taking advantage of that.
    One thing the Mrs. and I do now is wash our clothes and take a shower when we return from any sort of public exposure.I have also quit wearing a wristwatch as they are said to be a potential source for the virus.
    And I the two hiking trips I had planned are on hold indefinitely now.

Images

I managed to get my spring shearing before the lock down. I'm good for another 6 months now

i havent had a haircut in 16 years...........

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    Once people go back in circulation it's a risk I will take as there's usually less than four people in the shop when I get my haircut.Our local grocery store has instituted a special time each week for us old people to shop so I will be taking advantage of that.
    It doesn’t matter how few people are at the barbershop/salon, what is more important is how many people the barber/stylist has been in close contact with before you while cutting their hair.

I went to a grocery store “senior hour” yesterday, and won’t do that again. There were more people shopping than during normal hours.
    Last edited by gpburdelljr; 03-25-2020 at 12:07.

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    i havent had a haircut in 16 years...........
    +1 been buzzing my own down to a no. 1 for years, easy peezy. Saves money to.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    +1 been buzzing my own down to a no. 1 for years, easy peezy. Saves money to.

using the Flowbee?

my typical thing for the last 25 years (ive had 3 hair cuts in 25 years).........grow hair out long, get it cut down to the shortest length on head, and saved for Locks of Love.......

then grow back out........and do it again......

currently on year number 16 but i dont see a cut happening anytime soon...

my job---which involves seeing congress peoples, governors, mayors, police chief and basically people from all walks of life-----is cool with it......i keep it tucked up under my hat and most people dont know its long....

i do have a picture of me and the former governor of tennessee when he first saw it long.............ive known him for years and he had no idea....

It doesn’t matter how few people are at the barbershop/salon, what is more important is how many people the barber/stylist has been in close contact with before you while cutting their hair.

I went to a grocery store “senior hour” yesterday, and won’t do that again. There were more people shopping than during normal hours.
    I know that-it's a risk I will take based on reported levels of contamination in our rural little backwoods county.

Apparently some of the states don't either as those were among the places closed. Although of all the services in those groups it seems the most needed, as you can't control how fast it grows and many can't do it themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyGr View Post
    Apparently some of the states don't either as those were among the places closed. Although of all the services in those groups it seems the most needed, as you can't control how fast it grows and many can't do it themselves.
    In Georgia it depends on where you live.I am under the impression that for right now everybody comes out of hiding on April 6th for the most part.Maybe by then sick people will stay home and people in higher risk groups will either self quarantine or limit their public circulation for some time longer.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

The VP announced at today's presser that tomorrow the CDC will issue guidance for the responsible use of state and national parks. The VP stated it is something the task force wants to encourage.
    Be Prepared

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloud View Post
    The VP announced at today's presser that tomorrow the CDC will issue guidance for the responsible use of state and national parks. The VP stated it is something the task force wants to encourage.
    GSMNP is closed now.

Concord Trailways just canceled bus service in NH. Will Greyhound be far behind?
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    In Georgia it depends on where you live.I am under the impression that for right now everybody comes out of hiding on April 6th for the most part.Maybe by then sick people will stay home and people in higher risk groups will either self quarantine or limit their public circulation for some time longer.
    Now schools in Georgia are closed until April 24th and the Governor is contemplating keeping them closed until the next scheduled term which would be in August usually.

Yeah, same in TN; closed until April 24th. Truthfully I don't see them going back. This half-a$$ safer-at-home approach we're doing here in the US is not going to work. Unless we start doing more enforceable Shelter-at-Home orders we are going to be in a world of hurt. NY already is.

A lot of states are using shelter in place and social distancing/isolation techniques (some voluntary some mandated), some States still believe this to be a hoax of some sort and are doing nothing on a Statewide level. We missed the opportunity to ramp up testing, so today we have no real knowledge of where the virus is going in the population, absent a vaccine there is high value in employing social distancing and shelter in place techniques because they work in keeping infection rates lower than if nothing were done.

Current data shows one person left on their own to frolic about within the population unaware they carry the virus will infect 2.5 people over a 5-day period, which over a 30-day period will lead to 406 people infected. Social distancing, essentially going about ones business while maintaining a distance of 6-feet or more and other disinfecting techniques the same infected person over a 5-day period will infect 1.25 people, leading to 15-people infected over a 30-day period. Sheltering in place lowers infection spread the most as an infected carrier over a 5-day period will infect .625 people, leading to 2.5 people infected over a 30-day period. So these measures can and do work as data from 1918-19 Spanish Flu pandemic documents.

So even in States not taking this all that seriously, even half measures of social distancing is better than nothing until a vaccine is developed.

I just heard on some news channel that a vaccine might be developed as early as the end of summer.This would be good as yesterday one of the doctors indicated there would likely be a resurgence of the virus this fall as normal flu season gets cranked up again.Also heard a doctor say yesterday that the virus seems to be relatively slow to mutate which gives vaccines a greater chance at countering it.

At some point normal circulation of the population is going to happen.Maybe sick people and those in high risk groups like retired people will realize their best bet is to stay at home.Personally,I hope that this ridiculous custom we have of handshaking will fall by the wayside once and for all and help prevent the transmission of other less threatening viruses as a result.

Fingers crossed this malaria drug works, not the fish aquarium cleaning chemicals but the malaria drug. Come on people you're not gonna have a malaria drug sitting around your house.

And yes people are gross on the norm no need for handshake a simple little bow . The Asian do this because it offers the most vulnerable anatomy of the human body the neck. Therefore the ultimate respect.

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    Fingers crossed this malaria drug works, not the fish aquarium cleaning chemicals but the malaria drug. Come on people you're not gonna have a malaria drug sitting around your house.
    Actually, some of us do.

Every cure has it's disease though. I agree with you and wholly and completely hope that Plaquenil, or Hydroxychoroquine, proves an effective treatment for this virus. But there is of course a downside. Those of us who require this medication to live are seeing shortages already, and that is concerning. If you recall how difficult it was to get the doxycycline to treat lyme a few years ago, imagine what will be the effect with the quantities required with this until increased mfg of the drug catches up with demand.

No, I'm not trying to be Debbie Downer here, but there are no easy answers or solutions. It's going to be a rough road in all directions.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    Actually, some of us do.

Every cure has it's disease though. I agree with you and wholly and completely hope that Plaquenil, or Hydroxychoroquine, proves an effective treatment for this virus. But there is of course a downside. Those of us who require this medication to live are seeing shortages already, and that is concerning. If you recall how difficult it was to get the doxycycline to treat lyme a few years ago, imagine what will be the effect with the quantities required with this until increased mfg of the drug catches up with demand.

No, I'm not trying to be Debbie Downer here, but there are no easy answers or solutions. It's going to be a rough road in all directions.
    I was just reading today that hydroxychloroquine is prescribed for people with autoimmune issues. I have a friend with Lupus, RA, 2nd bout of breast cancer. She is not on chloroquine but is on the similar one that begins with a P.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++