WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Washington Post article about AT and Coronavirus

"Hikers are starting their annual trip north on the Appalachian Trail. Coronavirus could make it complicated"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...s-backpacking/

The concern with COVID-19 (aside from it being easy to catch) is its potential impact to health compromised older adults. I’d imagine the majority of young healthy hikers in top shape with excellent lung capacity would be in the majority of cases who experienced little or no symptoms.

I still would avoid sleeping in a full shelter though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Shelters are horrid germ laden mouse doo sportin stankhiker hostin havens anyway, aren’t they?

Ever use a privy at a busy AT lean-to? Last time I did, the viruses were buzzing around on jet skis!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchet_1697 View Post
    The concern with COVID-19 (aside from it being easy to catch) is its potential impact to health compromised older adults. I’d imagine the majority of young healthy hikers in top shape with excellent lung capacity would be in the majority of cases who experienced little or no symptoms.

I still would avoid sleeping in a full shelter though.

Maybe, maybe not, but the more important issue is that people who are infected can pass it to other people before they know they're carrying it. Anyone of any age can get sick at any level of severity.

Isn’t the potential / real overloading of the healthcare system also a major issue? As well as the huge personal health care costs if you require treatment? As well, where we require care is important. Rural areas won’t likely be able to provide care beyond their local clientele. (Read what Mags is saying, for instance.)

Don’t we bear a strong civic responsibility to do our personal part to “flatten the curve”? I know it’s an old idea, but it’s worth repeating: Rights come with Responsibilities.

My hiking this year will be short off-major trails and using dispersed camping. I’ll not be hiking further than I can carry one load start-to-finish. (And I’m not Tipi …)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Traillium View Post
    My hiking this year will be short off-major trails and using dispersed camping. I’ll not be hiking further than I can carry one load start-to-finish. (And I’m not Tipi …)
    Honestly that seems like the best approach IMO. You can still get out but avoid any areas of congregation, and don't rely on heading into the dollar general to resupply. Consider carrying a bit of extra food so you can do a longer push.

Images

Isn’t the potential / real overloading of the healthcare system also a major issue?

yes it is......

china had to build additional hospitals just for this virus.....

Quote Originally Posted by Traillium View Post
    Don’t we bear a strong civic responsibility to do our personal part to “flatten the curve”? I know it’s an old idea, but it’s worth repeating: Rights come with Responsibilities.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I agree. I am too young to have experienced rationing and other sacrifices the general public went through during WW2 or the Great Depression. There was shared sacrifice. Is it too much to ask people to stay home and avoid crowds? Your hiking approach is the one I will adopt this year.
    More walking, less talking.

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    yes it is......

china had to build additional hospitals just for this virus.....
    There is this item and talk of the Army setting up field hospitals where needed as well.

https://thehill.com/policy/defense/4...ip-to-nyc-amid
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Well France and Italy are starting to report cases of young people seriously ill.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    There is this item and talk of the Army setting up field hospitals where needed as well.

https://thehill.com/policy/defense/4...ip-to-nyc-amid
    This is a great idea of utilizing all of our resources. The army corps of engineers will be setting up "mash" type hospitals as well . Stay healthy my friends!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Joe View Post
    Well France and Italy are starting to report cases of young people seriously ill.
    Is this because they're so overwhelmed they can't take care of everybody or does this mean this virus is getting stronger? What a freaking mess! Stay healthy my friends!

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchet_1697 View Post
    Early information suggested children and young people were being spared the worst of this, probably due to the decision not to conduct widespread testing in the early days of this pathogen's arrival in the US. However, latest information as of yesterday cites approximately 1/5 to 1/4 of 20 - 44 year olds who are infected are requiring hospitalization, 2% - 4% of those hospitalized require ICU care. Additionally, approximately 10% of infants infected are at severe/critical levels.

Apparently there is more to the virus than was originally thought, especially as it relates to individual biology and underlying conditions that may take longer for younger people to present. The "safety of youth" from this pathogen as touted by spring breakers in FL who are clustered together in large numbers and feeling particularly invincible appears to be incorrect and invincibility rather than rock solid is vapor.

I had planned my first longer hike this year, the LT. I trained all Winter, upgraded my gear, reduced weight both on gear and myself and I will wait until a cure is found. I simple cannot leave my family alone for three to four weeks in a time when our lives change almost every hour. This outbreak was and is very poorly handled but if nothing else, Mother Nature is getting a break from us humans. It’s almost as if she said “You can’t figure out how to limit pollution, let me give you a hand with that”.
    Be Healthy!

Kudos to the hikers who are sacrificing for the sake of slowing the epidemic/pandemic.

Kudos to the hikers who are sacrificing for the sake of slowing the epidemic/pandemic. And thank you.

[Sorry for the duplicate post!]
    Last edited by RuthN; 03-19-2020 at 08:04. Reason: Duplicate post

I must admit I do not know the feeling of cancelling a thru hike. Must be devastating, but also a great review of what you can do in the interim. Hopeful it’s not all summit fever and people make bad choices and whatnot (but i am sure folks will do what they want and ignore advisements and closings) always have and always will be those types!

Hard decision to pull the plug on any adventure, let alone a thru.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Early information suggested children and young people were being spared the worst of this, probably due to the decision not to conduct widespread testing in the early days of this pathogen's arrival in the US. However, latest information as of yesterday cites approximately 1/5 to 1/4 of 20 - 44 year olds who are infected are requiring hospitalization, 2% - 4% of those hospitalized require ICU care. Additionally, approximately 10% of infants infected are at severe/critical levels.

Apparently there is more to the virus than was originally thought, especially as it relates to individual biology and underlying conditions that may take longer for younger people to present. The "safety of youth" from this pathogen as touted by spring breakers in FL who are clustered together in large numbers and feeling particularly invincible appears to be incorrect and invincibility rather than rock solid is vapor.
    Evidence-based and well-said, Traveller!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++