WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Two-person mattress???

Can anyone suggest a lightweight, two-person, inflatable, hiking/camping mattress?I can't find any that are truly lightweight.Thank you very much!
    Keith
    AKA "Beans"

Colorado Rob has posted about this. I believe he and his bride have tested several things. I may be mistaken but believe they prefer Enlightened Equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    Colorado Rob has posted about this. I believe he and his bride have tested several things. I may be mistaken but believe they prefer Enlightened Equipment.
    Your thinking of quilts.
    I don't know if anyone makes a two person backpacking air mattress. But then, never had a need to look for one. You'll probably have to find a way to secure two, one person mats together. In any event, a two person mat would be at least twice as heavy and twice as bulky as a single person mat.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Your thinking of quilts.
    I don't know if anyone makes a two person backpacking air mattress. But then, never had a need to look for one. You'll probably have to find a way to secure two, one person mats together. In any event, a two person mat would be at least twice as heavy and twice as bulky as a single person mat.
    Kinda silly huh? If their making a 2 person quilt why are they not making a 2 person backpacking air mattress? Sure a little heavier 2lbs about, but bulkier for sure but you have 2 people to split everything up. Perhaps you could request a custom air mattress from somewhere?

Klymit makes a 2 person sleeping pad. I've really liked my single insulated pad by Klymit and can't recommend them enough. The double doesn't have the highest R value out there but it's the only company I know of that makes a double

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Your thinking of quilts.
    Yes, sorry, EE makes quilts. But Colorado Rob has posted about two-person pads and quilts.

Exped duo and EE accomplice worked perfect for us

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IslandPete View Post
    Exped duo and EE accomplice worked perfect for us
    yep, we bought the Exped Hyperlite Duo a few yeas ago, it was a fantastic improvement over having two separate pads. It has an R value of 3.3 and weighs 1lb 14 ounces, if I remember correctly. One nice feature is its two-chamber setup, each side is separate, making it kind of like a "sleep number" mattress. Early models had some sort of internal separation problem, ours never had that problem.

And yeah, we also bought the EE accomplice 20 deg quilt. EE is optimistic on their ratings, I would say that as bought is was more like a 30. I added 4-5 ounces of down and now It's comfy down to 20-ish.

Having a duo pad and double quilt significantly improved our backpacking sleep comfort.

There is one negative aspect of the double setup, when we used some hostels along the AT with bunk beds but no supplied blankets, well, how does that work? Those bunks are too narrow for us to sleep together on, so basically, my wife uses the quilt, I use the deflated mattress as a "blanket". Not ideal! But we managed.

There are a couple different versions of the pad, one is 5-6 ounces heavier, here's the one we bought, I believe:

https://www.amazon.com/Exped-SynMat-...S6TWDMB83XZSZM

Exped Duo is pretty expensive. Massdrop worked with klymit on a lighter version of their 2 person pad that's about $100 and somewhere around a pound. Original delivery was a bit of a mess, but now they have some in stock and can ship promptly. It might be lighter than 2 individual pads since it's fairly narrow, and the strap systems sound like they don't work great. So far I've been happy with the one I got for a few overnights, stuff sack doubles as a pump so you don't have to fill all of that volume.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    Last edited by wisscy; 03-07-2020 at 21:53.

Journal Entries

I use 2 neo-air's tied together with some webbing when I want to warm up my SO. I find it works pretty good. put 2 pieces one about 1/3 the way up and the other at 2/3rd. I loop each of them is a figure 8 pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    Klymit makes a 2 person sleeping pad. I've really liked my single insulated pad by Klymit and can't recommend them enough. The double doesn't have the highest R value out there but it's the only company I know of that makes a double
    Agreed, Klymit is my goto pad. Affordable and several styles to choose from.
    Termite fart so much they are responsible for 3% of global methane emissions.

When I purchased my first set of Thermarest (for my wife and me) several years ago, I also got a coupling kit to tie the two pads together.
    This kit consisted of two straps that should tie the two pads together in a way that ther will should be no gap between.
    This stuff didn't work at all and I thrashed it.
    Inside the tent the two Thermarest will stay together anyway due to very limited space, and cowboy camping usually the groung is such that the two pads will stay put anyway.

++ New Posts ++