I am a novice hiker who has done some short 2-4 hour hikes in Colorado, Utah, and some in Texas but never an overnight hiking trip. I am looking for a hike on the AT in June where my 20-year old daughter and I can string together 2.5 - 3 days of hiking with two overnight camping stops. My research tells me to plan on 5-7 miles a day because we are new, so a 15-20 mile distance -- while short to most here -- would seem ideal to me (?). We would be going in early to mid-June, so my first thought of Georgia -- because it is flat and less crowded at that point -- would be pretty warm in June. I am looking for a good stretch without radical elevation gains ideally with a town at either end of the 15-20 mile hike.

At this point, I don't know what I don't know. I was looking at Lions Head to Bear Mountain in CT with a 1500 ft elevation change, but that is only 8.2 miles out and back. I'll do more digging, but with over 2000 miles to explore I was hoping to get a nudge towards a few possible hikes. My ultimate goal is to hike the entire AT over the rest of my lifetime, but I don't want to overdo it with the first one.

Thanks for any thoughts that will help me formulate a plan.