WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast

The virus is spreading in India and 12 of 54 Nations in Africa are reporting infections. I don’t think heat will make much of a difference. They are getting ready for human trials for a vaccine, that’s our best bet.

Quote Originally Posted by FromNH View Post
    They are getting ready for human trials for a vaccine, that’s our best bet.
    Where did you hear this?

Quote Originally Posted by Tenda View Post
    Can anyone report on what hiker towns are like at the moment? Is it difficult to resupply or find a place to spend the night? Does anyone anticipate hiker towns to start closing their doors to hikers?
    Bars and restaurants are closed in several states including MA. Several hostels have closed.

https://nuttyhiker.com/appalachian-t...QwCwTC_0EMA9Ug
    More walking, less talking.

CDC recommending any place hosting 50 or more persons be shut down for 8 weeks. Going to be tough finding any hotels open.

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    Where did you hear this?
    I just saw it too,(GASP),on FOX NEWS.Should we believe it?Seems pretty quick to me,just say'n.....

I'm not sure what your point is. It's a legitimate story, I just hadn't heard it at the time it was posted earlier.

If you have a problem with me, perhaps you should take it elsewhere?

And our next big holiday, cinco de mayo sponsored by.........Corona

There are several places in Europe that have a total shutdown now, Northern Italy being one, Tyrol (Austria) being another one.
    Not even allowed to show yourself outdoors without special permission.
    In our state (Upper Austria) we are still allowed to be outdoors single or together with the folks you are living with.
    All restaurants and accommodations are closed.

Corona will hit all countries full-force.
    We better be prepared for the worst (no hiking at all) pretty soon.

Sure glad I was able to get some AT hiking in this past weekend; lot's of people out on the trail (Carver's Gap to 19E).

As a backstory I speak several languages. I read it on European News outlets and it’s now been confirmed here in the US that human testing has begun. However even at an accelerated pace it will be close to a year if not longer to get a vaccine approved.

Quote Originally Posted by Seatbelt View Post
    Sure glad I was able to get some AT hiking in this past weekend; lot's of people out on the trail (Carver's Gap to 19E).
    I chose a very difficult trail and had no one around me.

This has moved quick...

O.K., do we call it? Is the AT thru-hiking season done, except for those already on trail (and even for them, in all likelihood, eventually)?

Full disclosure: I'm writing this from 3,000 miles away, on an island where they are encouraging everyone to stay home, and from which travel to the US has been suspended.

Quote Originally Posted by martinb View Post
    CDC recommending any place hosting 50 or more persons be shut down for 8 weeks. Going to be tough finding any hotels open.
    I think they meant people in a group, not the aggregate of people in individual rooms.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/15/healt...tes/index.html

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by Tenda View Post
    Can anyone report on what hiker towns are like at the moment? Is it difficult to resupply or find a place to spend the night? Does anyone anticipate hiker towns to start closing their doors to hikers?
    I was in Franklin, NC; Friday - Sunday. The only thing shutdown at that time were the church services, stove fuel was low at the Wal-mart, I didn't check tp or anything else. Hostel I stayed at was intimate (4 persons max) they were staying open for the foreseeable future last I heard.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    I think they meant people in a group, not the aggregate of people in individual rooms.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/15/healt...tes/index.html
    The current president says 10 or less now. You could have that many in a hotel lobby, easy.

Was at the AMC Highland center today, climbed Field and Willard - great day. They were open when we got there in the morning, but by the time we left there was a sign "CLOSED UNTIL MAY 1" at the entrence.

Just saw a notice that the RMC camps are now closed until further notice. Not sure how that will be inforced.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Glad we made it in on Wednesday before they closed the highland center. That would have been quite a disappointment, we were pretty wrecked at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Was at the AMC Highland center today, climbed Field and Willard - great day. They were open when we got there in the morning, but by the time we left there was a sign "CLOSED UNTIL MAY 1" at the entrence.

Just saw a notice that the RMC camps are now closed until further notice. Not sure how that will be inforced.
    My guess is they will keep a caretaker up there but will just not allow folks to use the facilities. Not that hard to post the trailheads.

If they do a quarantine like Italy and Spain, (that I think is likely) you've got to figure they will close the National and State Parks to discourage travel. This will mean long roadwalks to get around, or maybe hitchhiking, which creates its own problems. Not a good time to be thru hiking.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++