WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

That's easy: Everyone will hike SOBO :-) to avoid he crowds.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyPaper View Post
    Doesn't seem easy to predict. It might be a good time to be away from civilization, but not sure how smart it would be to sleep in shelters.

Anyone thinking about this other than me?
    Let me go

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Kobzol View Post
    That's easy: Everyone will hike SOBO :-) to avoid he crowds.
    Or a flip-flop to avoid the crowds.

I wonder if the trail will get trashed this year. With more people avoiding shelters the stealth camping spots will get slammed, and hardened and expanded too close to the trail and water sources. Maybe I'm just being negative.

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    I wonder if the trail will get trashed this year. With more people avoiding shelters the stealth camping spots will get slammed, and hardened and expanded too close to the trail and water sources. Maybe I'm just being negative.
    I don't think people will radically change their behavior. I know I'm not. It's possible the more marginal sites will see more use, which might improve them. The trail gets a little more trashed every year.

Sleeping in a crowded shelter might not be the best idea for a while. Anyone just getting on the trail or coming back from town for that matter, could be a potential carrier and not know it yet.

But that's no reason to avoid the shelter area. Casual contact in an open environment is likely risk free, just remember to do fist bump greetings. The norovirus is still a threat.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I wouldn’t even do a fist bump. If someone has norovirus, or coronavirus, on their palms, then they likely have it on the backs of their hands and fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    I wouldn’t even do a fist bump. If someone has norovirus, or coronavirus, on their palms, then they likely have it on the backs of their hands and fingers.
    We need a new custom."Hi,you don't want MY cooties" has been working fine for me lately.

You come across a surprising number of people on a thru hike. Without corona virus you have to take initiative to avoid getting sick. But with corona virus... oh my. Towns and hostels will be the danger zone for this year’s hikers.

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    Elbow bump , yep should be safe........right?

At some point in time we really need to adopt some sort of socially acceptable greeting that does not involve touching other people.What do other cultures do?

"Hail and greetings fellow biped" said with fingers spread in Spockesque fashion may replace the handshake, high-five, and the ever popular fist and elbow bump over the next few months. Until then, more practical common sense approaches can be observed that helps avoid a host of maladies like Norovirus along the trail. On a practical note, the latter is perhaps more of a concern than the former when it comes to illness, however having a new viral infection in the population is always a concern given the history of such things. As a matter of practice (now habit) for a lot of people who prefer tread ways to highways, simple measures can help reduce exposure to illnesses and include:

- Do not allow anyone to put their hands into your food like snacks in baggies and don't share water from the same containers.
    - Whenever possible avoid using surfaces commonly used by others in camping areas or shelters to prepare food or work on gear.
    - Wash hands prior to food preparation, following use of a privy/cathole, contact with commonly handled surfaces like railings, table tops, and cleaning up after dogs.
    - Do not count on hand sanitizers to work well, nothing works better than a little soap and water to wash away things that can make you sick.
    - Do not consume food from others unless its in an original package (I don't share food from others even if its in original wrapping or cooked given the potential consequences).
    - Do not pet dogs that are not yours and keep food/water and related containers shielded from inquisitive noses and sampling tongues.

Most of the time I am alone when hiking, but when I do run into others I am usually polite if not openly friendly but I do not have an overwhelming desire to shake hands or otherwise touch fellow hikers, their pets, or share their food. That said, places where people congregate like shelters and mandated camping areas present the highest risk for the unwary. While there are no guarantees, basic practices like these may seem inconvenient but are more likely to keep one from succumbing to a Norovirus or other illness than .

Stay healthy out there!

My Dad called last night and (strongly) suggested I not go visit for his birthday in April this year. Seeing I travel by bus and train to Florida and him being 97, probably a good idea. I still think the pandemic will peak about then. Probably a lot of others with travel plans comming up soon with similar thoughts. Hope I can get a refund for my train tickets!

I typically visit my Dad before starting a hike, now I can change the timing to earlier or later. If I start April 1 instead of April 18 from Harpers, I think I can make Trail Days I wonder if the virus will impact Trail Days any?
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I don't think that we should worry much about Covid-19. Last night in an interview with Sean Hannity on Fox News, President Trump said that the 3-4% mortality rate is a false number, and that it's really a fraction of 1%. He also said that hundreds of thousands of people infected with covid-19 get better just by sitting around or going to work. So based on this, it seems that everything is ok.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    I don't think that we should worry much about Covid-19. Last night in an interview with Sean Hannity on Fox News, President Trump said that the 3-4% mortality rate is a false number, and that it's really a fraction of 1%. He also said that hundreds of thousands of people infected with covid-19 get better just by sitting around or going to work. So based on this, it seems that everything is ok.
    I have some prime waterfront house lots for sale in Florida if you believe that source

He also said that hundreds of thousands of people infected with covid-19 get better just by sitting around or going to work...........
    A really bad plan.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Wink

This is sarcasm, right? I think I'll stick with the experts in the field of communicable disease and virologists.
    Last edited by greensleep; 03-05-2020 at 11:22.
    humor is the gadfly on the corpse of tragedy

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    At some point in time we really need to adopt some sort of socially acceptable greeting that does not involve touching other people.What do other cultures do?
    You could try folding your hands together in a praying position and bowing to avoid the awkwardness of dodging a hand shake.

Quote Originally Posted by greensleep View Post
    This is sarcasm, right? I think I'll stick with the experts in the field of communicable disease and virologists.
    I didn't see it happen but I am picking up corroborating reports on huffington post and mother jones if you put stock in them as unbiased news sources.

However,I did see an interview with a CV victim who was on a cruise ship,woke up on the airplane ride home with a 103 plus fever,but now reports that it feels like a pretty mild cold.He is at the University of Nebraska being tested daily in qurantine.

BUT HE AND HIS FAMILY ARE NOW RECEIVING DEATH THREATS! Yes,that's what he said.
    Last edited by Five Tango; 03-05-2020 at 12:31.

Quote Originally Posted by greensleep View Post
    The statements attributed to Trump on Hannity are legitimate.
    And I'm definitely with you on sticking with the experts.

Don't spin this into politics folks.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

I saw on CBS news this a.m. that the Italian government is asking the elderly to stay inside.I also realized what my stock pile of Alcohol Gel is worth after watching the news this morning,but I'm keeping it.

This situation is changing behaviors too.My wife's church suspended the "shake hands with everybody around you thing" yet they still line up to shake the minister's hand on the way out the door.

Some folks will never learn,bless their heart!

Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++