WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

No virus will survive in Mountain House Chili Mac w/ Beef ��

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    I’d rather catch CV than eat a MH meal! Try Hawk Vittles or look at skurkas beans and rice or other great recipes...DH beans may be out but unlikely...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    +1 for Hawk Vittles. Great dehydrated recipes. I think dehydrated food has more taste than freeze dried and I’d had them last six months. YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've found that backpacking has made me a pepper of sorts as I'm always buying #10 cans I see on sale to repackage for trips. With Mountain House's current expiration dates, any unused cans can be passed down to my kids.

In that vein, I don't know why people are gobbling up dehydrated food when cans of soup or dry goods would do the same. They aren't going to be quarantined for years.

Quote Originally Posted by AsoloBootsSuk View Post
    I'm curious why someone stocking up for the corona Apocalypse would choose dehydrated backpacking meals? When weight is not the concern, it seems like a poor choice. My grandmother could survive for 2 years on just her canning. Damn, now I'm hungry for venison over rice, lol
    Because it won't spoil for a long time in storage and it's in a relatively small package. Freeze dried meals in a #10 can will keep 30 years or more on the shelf and you can keep a couple of months worth of emergency food for your family in a couple of large boxes in your garage. Freezers are great only as long as you have electricity Canning is popular in the prepper community too but that takes work: you can just whip out a cc and buy freeze dried foods (usually.) As others have pointed out, there are lots of alternative shelf stable foods that can make great backpacking meals but they take a little more planning.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayne View Post
    Because it won't spoil for a long time in storage and it's in a relatively small package. Freeze dried meals in a #10 can will keep 30 years or more on the shelf and you can keep a couple of months worth of emergency food for your family in a couple of large boxes in your garage. Freezers are great only as long as you have electricity Canning is popular in the prepper community too but that takes work: you can just whip out a cc and buy freeze dried foods (usually.) As others have pointed out, there are lots of alternative shelf stable foods that can make great backpacking meals but they take a little more planning.
    Very good points, I'm just thinking that in prepping for Covid 19, realistically you could get stuck in your house for 30 days, not 30 years. Small, light, and 30 year storage would not be key factors for a 30 day cache for me. I was at Sam's club buying routine supplies yesterday. The preppers where clearing the shelves, No one saw the irony of standing in line to get samples from the free stand that everyone was touching, including snotty nosed children, all the while preparing for a germ apocolypse. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Jayne View Post
    For long-term food preservation, lacto fementation is a better alternative to canning. It’s nearly fool proof as the lacto bacillus overwhelms harmful bacteria and the prep is incredibly quick and easy. All that’s needed is a vessel, a weight to keep the food below the brine, salt to make the brine, and cheesecloth for a lid.

it took me less than 10 minutes to prepare these peppers for fermented hot sauce. My lid is from Kraut Source.

6C281DE7-7225-4913-88A5-321709F26C71.jpg

Had a laugh while shopping the other day thanks to hikers. Powdered milk isn't something I normally hike with but I figured get one for my kid in case we get quarantined. I bought the last small can about 2 weeks ago at Wal-mart. I was in Krogers Tuesday in the baking aisle and I looked down at the bottom shelf, big empty space. I'm thinking, ok, what was the big run on this week.? It was the powdered milk. Then I look to the bottom right and there's big cans of NIDO. There were multiple cans of both the infant fortified and the whole milk. I can read Spanish but I knew about NIDO from folks posting about it here. I just bought one. So if you need powdered milk look for the NIDO might still be there.
    download.jpeg
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Analog_Kidd View Post
    Knorr pasta sides and a pack of chicken or tuna are my new go to instead of MH meals. They are a fraction of the cost and I think the volume of food is just right. Just enough to still have some room for desert or a Snickers bar. MH meals leave you so full you can't eat anything else, and I like a little variety in my dinner.

well I guess everyone is different... I could eat a Knorr side, a Mountain House 2-3 serving meal, some snacks, dehydrated apples with penut butter, some candy and still be hungry when I went to bed! ... and I'm just a skinny 140lbs. I am looking into other better quality meals in this thread as I don't mind paying a little more for something that's worth it.
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++