WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default state of Georgia

Thinking about doing the AT thru Georgia next year and was wondering what is the best time to do that section. I strongly dislike bugs that bit so I was thinking fall, but when is that way down there? Not looking for crowds but that is of less concern than the bugs. Also was wondering about water if I wait until September/October does that mean water would become an big issue?
    Of a secondary concern is the daily mileage, I know that I can plan on 1 mile per hour up here in NE. Is it really easier in the south than the north? I would rather not end up having to waste a day or more waiting for my ride to come meet me but I really have no wish to have to hike all night to make sure I get to the ride on time.
    Thanks
    RDL

I did GA in about 6 days (including approach), in a lot of cold rain and suffering from what I now believe was a fairly bad case of influenza. I barely got any sleep that whole week. No wonder the allergy pills didn't help.

If your in half decent shape it's not bad. If your used to the Whites, GA will seem tame. There are a few hills which will slow you down, but you can motor along for most of GA. NC is a different story...

I prefer hiking the southern AT in the spring, during mud season in NH. Late April/early May is a good time as the bulk of thru hikers have past, but are being replaced by section hikers. Lots of wild flowers. Trees are just starting to wake up along the ridges. It's still early enough bugs aren't usually an issue.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Registered User Nolan "Guido" Jordan's Avatar

I did it last year in late March. We had beautiful weather. Bugs weren't an issue at all. It was a little crowded, but everyone was very kind.

Fall is a great time to hike Georgia and most years the weather is cooling off the 3rd or 4th week of September. It is a little drier then, but that mostly means that it might take you 15 minutes to water up and you may need to plan just a little bit. Temperatures are cooling in October but crowds pick up towards the end of October as the leaves are changing. November will have nice days and cool nights, fewer crowds but you face rain towards the end of the month.

Fall is a great time to hike Georgia.

I enjoyed early spring right before the leaves came in at altitude. Got a lot of nice distance views, and as I hiked down to the lower altitudes I'd see little signs of spring like the early flowers and unfurling leaves. It was like a daily walk into spring.

I woke up on day 6 and about an hour into the day, crossed over the state line. I started at the arch at the base of the falls. It's tough going (nothing like the mountain climbing in VT, ME) but rolling, steep inclines that never seem to end and take your breath away. That was pushing through pretty hard though. Realistically, I'd plan about 7 days. I'd wait until the "crowd" clears out a bit, either around May/June or later in the season, like fall time. It can get down right cold and nasty. I've done this section about 5 or 6 times.
    - Trail name: Thumper

We slacked it in the fall in 4 days to the last gap easily accessible by side road in GA. right after a nearby Hurricane. It was dry but really fast hiking compared to NH. They really take their trail building seriously, a lot of switchbacks and paths cut into the sidehills and a couple of sections of forest service roads that look to have been abandoned for the AT. Sure there are some slopes but nothing like the whites. There are forest service roads that cross the trail that make it easy to split it up into day hike sections. We had two cars but a SUV would be perfect to do key swapping with someone else. We didnt do the approach trail. Add a day for tha as I think its the biggest elevation gain.

Default state of Georgia

I live 45 minutes from the AT in Georgia and hike it year round. The only months I don't go on the AT are March thru mid April just to avoid the crowds and then July and August due to frequent thunderstorms, bugs, heat, and humidity. Winter is great for views, spring is good just because and fall is spectacular...but fall colors means very late October into early November usually. So many good options...

I've done several trips in October through Georgia, and have really enjoyed them. Much of the time you will have sunny mild days and clear, possibly frosty nights. Bugs are gone by then.

++ New Posts ++