WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hiking the Appalachian Trail in Shenandoah National Park, using hotels/cabins/lodges

Luxury, not traditional backpacking and expensive. But walk with me here. Eye balling the map, I can string together a hike through the north and central sections of the park ending in a cabin, lodge or hotel and eliminating the need to carry a tent/shelter. For giggles, can you help me get SOBO from Lewis Mountain to Rockfish Gap using the same? I don’t see any facility between US33 and Loft Mountain, and again from Loft Mountain to Rockfish.

I saw a presentation on the West Highland Way in Scotland and am trying to put together a little something like it but, you know, stateside.

There is a book about a guy who did something similar. He had a driver (his wife I believe) to drop him off and meet him each day. I think two people could shuttle each other without too much trouble but some sections would likely require nights in the woods.

Isn't there something like an inn to inn hike along a canal or towpath somewhere in the eastern US?

I hiked the Florida Trail self shuttling by electric bike and car. I spent one night on the trail, the rest in hotels or at home. I plan on hiking the AT when I retire using some hybrid of a section, occasionally daily section, and a thru hike.

The Don's Brother Method: How I Thru-Hiked the Appalachian Trail and Rarely Slept in the Woods

It's only 54 miles from Lewis to Waynesboro - you should be able to do that in a day

The only option looks to be to get a shuttle back to someplace with lodging. Might have to do that twice. I split that leg into 2 nights, 3 days. Seems to be a very expensive way to avoid carring tent.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Yes, indeed this would cost more than carrying a tent.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    It's only 54 miles from Lewis to Waynesboro - you should be able to do that in a day

The only option looks to be to get a shuttle back to someplace with lodging. Might have to do that twice. I split that leg into 2 nights, 3 days. Seems to be a very expensive way to avoid carring tent.

Shuttle idea is a good one!

I too hiked the West Highland Way and came back to the States thinking that going B&B to B&B must be possible the the States somehow. (And maybe with a luggage van taking care of the luggage too.....I can dream, can't I?)

I haven't figured out how or where yet, but I keep on researching! hopefully that type of walking vacation will catch on in the States sometime.

Until then, I've picked up backpacking as a stopgap!

This might be the towpath book I was thinking of. It's aimed at cyclists but the table of contents suggest it might have an inn to inn itinerary.

Linking Up: Planning Your Traffic-Free Bike Trip Between Pittsburgh PA and Washington DC

Journal Entries
    Images

Thumbs up Very do-able

I can string together a hike through the north and central sections of the park ending in a cabin, lodge or hotel
    Your idea is not only possible, it's part of a package you can reserve online.

https://www.goshenandoah.com/specials/hiking-packages

Sheetfar! Will they hike it for me, too?

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post

Journal Entries
    Images

Cool Not exactly

Will they hike it for me, too?
    Sadly, that part you'll have to handle yourself.
    All they can provide is lodging, dinner, breakfast, and a box lunch -- any and all for a price.
    Slackpacking to the extreme.

Images

but, and ive only glanced a bit at the link, will this get the OP from the place they wanna go?

or it already in the place OP knows about?

Yeah I don’t think it covers the southern section. But I like the idea.

Hopefully now that they offer it in a package form they have eliminated the arrival time requirements.

There was a book back in the 1980's where someone was thru hiking and could make reservations at the lodgings, but had to arrive by 4pm to claim them (which was hard to guarantee being he was hiking, not driving in). He made it OK, but it seemed odd that they wouldn't have had a way even back then to hold a spot by having it guaranteed to be paid.

I see no mention of shuttles. Just reservations for the three lodges in the park. Not sure how you'd work around that even with one car. It's a long way from Lewis to Waynesboro. No cabins at Loft, which really messes things up. I don't see a MARC cabin anywhere along that stretch either.

Journal Entries

Did you consider leaving your tent/resupply at Lewis and picking it up when you pass thru.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnette View Post
    Did you consider leaving your tent/resupply at Lewis and picking it up when you pass thru.
    If he wants to essentially day hike the SNP, then he doesn't need a tent, a sleeping bag, a stove or any of that other stuff we have to lug around.

I'm not sure if they would let you leave anything at Lewis. If he doesn't mind finishing the park as an 2 night backpacking trip, a possibility is to see if the Country View Motel would hold his overnight gear for few days. If they would, it might be possible to also ship the stuff there.

The motel is 2.9 miles down US33 at Swift Run Gap and they might shuttle you from and to the gap for a small fee. Swift Run Gap is only 9 miles from Lewis campground, which would make for a short day.

This is awesome info!

Call this a feasibility study, ok?

Images

Don't know if this would work for you or not, but there's the Loft Mtn Wayside and a reservable PATC cabin (Doyle's River) about halfway between Lewis Mtn and Waynesboro.
    It's all good in the woods.

That’s good info! Not impossible but I may have to rent that two nights bc that’s their minimum for advance reservations. Still much thanks for the idea

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRock View Post
    Don't know if this would work for you or not, but there's the Loft Mtn Wayside and a reservable PATC cabin (Doyle's River) about halfway between Lewis Mtn and Waynesboro.

++ New Posts ++