WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Nobo 2021

Default Nobo 2021

I'm planning a NOBO TH starting as early as possible in 2021.
    I've sectioned the Approach to Damascus, during previous summers.
    What about the weather starting at the Approach in April?
    Would March be possible?
    I have cold-weather gear that I've used elsewhere. Would I need crampons and an ice ax?
    The same question goes for Kathadin in September, October.
    Do the hostels, outfitters, etc. 'up north' rent crampons, ice axes, etc.?
    Thank you for your input - if anyone wants to ask me about hiking the JMT, in New Zealand, or in Patagonia, let me know.
    Keith
    (aka "Beans")

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Poppa Yeti View Post
    I'm planning a NOBO TH starting as early as possible in 2021.
    I've sectioned the Approach to Damascus, during previous summers.
    What about the weather starting at the Approach in April?
    Would March be possible?
    I have cold-weather gear that I've used elsewhere. Would I need crampons and an ice ax?
    The same question goes for Kathadin in September, October.
    Do the hostels, outfitters, etc. 'up north' rent crampons, ice axes, etc.?
    Thank you for your input - if anyone wants to ask me about hiking the JMT, in New Zealand, or in Patagonia, let me know.
    Keith
    (aka "Beans")
    Nobody can predict the weather. But early March is obviously different than late March. Early March will be colder and likely get you some real winter weather at times. If you start April 1 or later you'll probably avoid some of that, but don't let your guard down especially in GSMNP even in April as winter weather can linger. Obviously the earlier you start, the warmer your gear needs to be. Used to be thru-hikers would start a week either side of April 15 with a 20° bag and carry it all the way or switch it out for something lighter around Pearisburg, VA, then pick up the 20° again in VT or Hanover, NH. I think I would want something warmer than a 20° for a March start. Many early starters (Feb and March) carry Microspikes or Yaktrax or similar and then ditch them once through GSMNP and when winter retreats. Ice axe/full crampons, etc., are not needed either in the north or south, the exception would be winter hiking/climbing in the Whites (or Katahdin). Best to finish before the end of September if at all possible. An April 1 start gives you 6 full months. March even longer. Katahdin weather is unpredictable in October. Here's a screen shot pic of the start day distribution for registered AT NOBO's this year.

AT start date.jpg

Here's an old temperature chart for average temps along the AT. Note that they are not on-trail temperatures, many are at lower, warmer elevations. Also, typically day to day temps will vary ± 10°F from averages, with rare extremes to ±20°. So factor in elevation, deviation, wind, rain, etc. when deciding on gear.

AT Temps JPEG.jpg
    Last edited by 4eyedbuzzard; 02-27-2020 at 18:40.

April to October you don't need ice axe or crampons.
    There is an off chance you might need some form of traction in March, in the higher mountains of NC. For a day or two.

The weather in March is finicky and still very much winter early on. April is a safer bet for reasonable temps and conditions, but it can still get chilly the first week of April.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

++ New Posts ++