WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

That people go there to take selfies where the young man died, i find that sickening. What a ****ed up species we are.

I'm with the 'can't save people from themselves' crowd... just like somebody always says on a local radio station "the world is way to over populated already, so why try to save people from their own stupidity?" - not the exact quote but that's the point of it.

Of course you never wish anything fatal on anybody, and your not wishing against recues when someone is in trouble, ect... but why try to educate grown adults on common sense.... this is generally speaking on a lot of things, not just the bus!

2 people died trying to get to the bus and I'm willing to bet that bus saved more then 2 people from the elements over the years.
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

Images

Quote Originally Posted by stephanD View Post
    That people go there to take selfies where the young man died, i find that sickening. What a ****ed up species we are.
    Large numbers of people go to sites known almost exclusively because of people's deaths at those locations. Definitely not uncommon. A lot of history is rooted in human death and tragedy. And before phones and sticks and selfies, people used timers or others took their pictures with old fashioned cameras. In death, Chris became a bit of a celebrity to those who share at least some of his disdain for conventional life and materialism. Others disagree and find him predominantly an irresponsible fool driven entirely by wanderlust. But regardless how you view his particular story, standing on the spot where something historic happened is often much more real than just reading or watching a movie about it. I understand why some people might want to go there. A trip to the bus is not for me - but I understand.

That all said, they should be billed for the cost of the rescue and endure whatever public ridicule comes their way for being unprepared, irresponsible @$$holes. Sympathy has limits.
    Last edited by 4eyedbuzzard; 02-25-2020 at 20:22.

Richard Proenneke Is an example of the right way to live off grid.
    Christopher McCandless is an example of how not to do it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Proenneke

I’d much rather see the cabin Richard Proenneke built, and lived in for almost 30 years in remote Alaska, than to see a bus where a fool died.

Images

Skycrane logging helo flies for ~$5K/hr and already based around AK.

Lift that sucker to Healey and make it a touron draw. Or just drop it at the dump.

After the requisite bureaucraptic paperwork of course...
    nous défions

It's gonna be ok.

Ditch Medicine: wash your hands and keep your booger-pickers off your face!

Images

Why does anyone want to save these idiots from going to that bus? They probably found a pokemon out there that they didn't have. If they aren't prepared to make it back thats their fault. Quit rescuing them and they will quit going there. Or they will die. Either way the problem is solved.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++