WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tiptoe View Post
    Hypothermia can disorient and can lead to poor choices.
    Yeah, he called his sister at 11 am on Sunday and told her he was experiencing cramping, which is often a warning sign of hypothermia and/or dehydration which worsens the body's ability to keep warm. After that he called 911 but seemed confused and didn't know where he was. Then there's the discarded gear. Lots of classic hypothermia symptoms. Add in the weather staying wet and cold and getting colder (40's and into the 20's by Thurs night). Sadly, this doesn't sound promising. The best thing to hear short of them finding him quickly would be that he bailed but didn't notify anybody. The 911 call doesn't really fit that scenario though.

Hypothermia does sound like the most likely medical emergency. That would explain a lot of things. The dementia theory is a long shot. Anyone know what the weather was like down there on Sunday? I know it's been rotten since.

The authorities don't know his level of experience and can't say if the gear he might still have with him is enough to keep him alive. I was wondering about that. Cell phone went dead after a few pings, which must have been inconclusive. They would need at least three towers to get a decent fix.

He's been missing over 48 hours now and with bad weather. Sadly, not good odds. This will likely be another "what went wrong" story.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Registered User Nolan "Guido" Jordan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    looking at the map, i'm not seeing a road........my eyes could be off though...

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...p_08-17-18.pdf
    I've been there twice. Both last year. I promise there is a gravel road there that stretches there from the Hike Inn to who knows where exactly. Also, there is a forest road at Nimblewill Gap. Approximately about 1.5 miles north from the Hike Inn on the Approach Trail.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Nolan "Guido" Jordan; 02-19-2020 at 01:01.

If hypothermia is the issue, then did they find any water in his gear? The answer to that could help.

This sucks, this really really sucks!! What a sucky way to start the season!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    dogs are not always accurate though....

i've covered a handful or two of missing persons, where the dogs walked within a few yards or so, of where the person was at.....

and with the weather changing this week, that would also add to difficulty of the search....
    Yes. Heavy rains can dilute the scent trail. Susan Clemons comes to mind. She went missing at Clingman's Dome in rain and fog.

TN Hiker you are probably familiar with a recent incident in Knoxville where a person with dementia was seen on camera walking away from a Walmart. Extensive search including dogs couldn't find him. Tragically his body was found in a creek not far from the store. We had a lot of rain.

Hopefully this case will have a better outcome. At least this person had gear with him.

FWIW,I was camped out near the Ocmulgee River about 100 miles south of Springer on Saturday night.Saturday was a beautiful day.The temp went down to about 39 degrees after midnight and by 4 am intermittent rain was falling with temps in the 40's.It has not stopped raining since,including some very hard rains here and a county further south of my home canceled school yesterday because of poor road conditions for the school buses.So weather is definitely a factor in this case as the weather system we are under now is widespread.Weather Channel is making references right now to"the water logged South".

Quote Originally Posted by rmitchell View Post
    Yes. Heavy rains can dilute the scent trail. Susan Clemons comes to mind. She went missing at Clingman's Dome in rain and fog.

TN Hiker you are probably familiar with a recent incident in Knoxville where a person with dementia was seen on camera walking away from a Walmart. Extensive search including dogs couldn't find him. Tragically his body was found in a creek not far from the store. We had a lot of rain.

Hopefully this case will have a better outcome. At least this person had gear with him.
    I saw that story on the news but never knew if they found him or not.

Images

This makes me think more about carrying a personal locator beacon.

Images

yeah.......we did a few stories on this incident.....

and that walmart is only about 2-3 miles from my house.....

PLBs only work if the person has the presence of mind to activate it. The first thing that goes with hypothermia is the higher mental functions. A Spot type device keeps a track and reports it to the internet via a satellite network, in theory if someone is watching they would notice the track stopped. The down side it that Spots on occasion just stop reporting a location due to terrain, tree cover and or atmospheric conditions.

I do carry a PLB for my AT corridor boundary work as I am working solo out in the woods on very rough terrain that is rarely if ever visited. There is far better chance of being injured and unable to self rescue in situation like that then a hiker with medical issues.

The picture of him under the gate -- is he carrying both a regular pack and a daypack on his chest? I can't say that I've ever seen someone do that.

a lot of the news is similar, but here is another current article:
    https://www.gainesvilletimes.com/new...lachian-trail/

there are a lot of trails and forest service roads in the area. it has been rainy and foggy for the last week and this area can get locked in with fog which makes navigation tricky. also, there is a ridge that continues near Amicalola and Hike Inn which is why Dawson County has a pretty good high angle rescue team.

Dawson County Search and Rescue are also taking volunteers. They want you to email them with qualifications and wait to be contacted.
    [email protected]

Images

The picture of him under the gate -- is he carrying both a regular pack and a daypack on his chest? I can't say that I've ever seen someone do that

looks like it.....

although, from picture, not sure how big the one on his back is.......

Images

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    PLBs only work if the person has the presence of mind to activate it. The first thing that goes with hypothermia is the higher mental functions. A Spot type device keeps a track and reports it to the internet via a satellite network, in theory if someone is watching they would notice the track stopped. The down side it that Spots on occasion just stop reporting a location due to terrain, tree cover and or atmospheric conditions.

I do carry a PLB for my AT corridor boundary work as I am working solo out in the woods on very rough terrain that is rarely if ever visited. There is far better chance of being injured and unable to self rescue in situation like that then a hiker with medical issues.
    I thought about that.

But he did have presence of mind to make a couple of cell phone calls before his battery died.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    The picture of him under the gate -- is he carrying both a regular pack and a daypack on his chest? I can't say that I've ever seen someone do that.
    Might be an AARN? I didn't look at it too closely.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    On casual glance it looks like a regular old daypack for extra gear. The Aarn system is very different---here's Medicine Man with the pack---see pic---the front aarn packs attach to the back pack's shoulder straps etc.

TRIP 112 082-L.jpg

Yes, that is what it looks like. Which leads me to think he's an inexperienced hiker. I suspect it's the personal belonging they found near the hike inn. It would be the first thing I'd ditch. We've all heard the stories of the approach trail littered with gear as the newbies try to lighten the pack.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    Nope. Not an Aarn - I own one. Looks like a daypack or large hydration pack worn on front. Might be a modified one, but definitely not an Aarn.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 4eyedbuzzard; 02-19-2020 at 17:43.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++