WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Missing Thru-Hiker

This man is missing. Began thru-hike on Friday.

https://www.facebook.com/dawsoncount...type=3&theater
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..........
    Travel not for the destination, but for the joy of the journey.

Not a good way to start a through hike. They found his gear but not him? Didn't even make it to the top of Springer. Yikes.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Not a good way to start a through hike. They found his gear but not him? Didn't even make it to the top of Springer. Yikes.

Common man.....they think he had a medical emergency. Someone is missing and bad weather is rolling thru. Their family is clearly concerned. Poor choice of words on your end.

I sincerely hope they find him before it's too late.

Can't help but wonder what kind of medical emergency results in abandoning ones gear and wandering off into the woods?

Can't help but wonder what kind of medical emergency results in abandoning ones gear and wandering off into the woods?
    A couple possible scenarios---
    ** Went off the trail to expel waste, similar to G. Largay except she took her pack.
    ** Dumped his pack to pull a water run down to a spring.

Both might explain leaving the pack. Afterwhich he could've suffered a cardiovascular event.

BUT with dogs used I can't figure out how the animals didn't locate him in a ever-widening circle around his pack.

A stroke could cause confusion.

Very bizzar. Sudden onset of Dementia could explain it.

Apparently they found some of his personal stuff near the hike inn. The first artical sounded like he had left all of it. I'd guess they found the daypack shown in the picture.

Hope they find him soon and he has enough wits to use the gear he has with him.

Very bizzar. Sudden onset of Dementia could explain it.

Apparently they found some of his personal stuff near the hike inn. The first artical sounded like he had left all of it. I'd guess they found the daypack shown in the picture.

Hope they find him soon and he has enough wits to use the gear he has with him.
    Facts are all over the map but if they found his stuff by Hike Inn couldn't he have gotten into a vehicle and is long gone?? As I assume the Inn is on a road.

Images

Facts are all over the map but if they found his stuff by Hike Inn couldn't he have gotten into a vehicle and is long gone?? As I assume the Inn is on a road.

the way i understand it, and the way their webpage says-----the only way to get there is to hike in...

hence, the play of words for the name of the place.....

If my memory is correct, I had to hike 3-4 miles to get there. Perhaps there is something like a forest service-type road that they use for resupply, but if so, I didn't see one.

Images

BUT with dogs used I can't figure out how the animals didn't locate him in a ever-widening circle around his pack.

dogs are not always accurate though....

i've covered a handful or two of missing persons, where the dogs walked within a few yards or so, of where the person was at.....

and with the weather changing this week, that would also add to difficulty of the search....

Images

Perhaps there is something like a forest service-type road that they use for resupply, but if so, I didn't see one.

looking at the map, i'm not seeing a road........my eyes could be off though...

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...p_08-17-18.pdf

Images

There is a service road for the Hike Inn.

Obviously there's a drivable road to Hike Inn as shown on this map---although it must be closed except for construction and crew and resupplies etc.

Screenshot_2020-02-18 Len Foote Hike Inn.png

The entire area looks like a big place to get lost, roads or no roads.

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    the way i understand it, and the way their webpage says-----the only way to get there is to hike in...

hence, the play of words for the name of the place.....
    It’s a 5 mile hike from the parking area to the Len Foote Hike Inn. The Inn trail diverges from the AT approach trail at 0.3 miles.

Link to map:
    https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...p_08-17-18.pdf

Hypothermia can disorient and can lead to poor choices.

If I heard correctly, the sheriff said that found "some" of his gear but did not release the specifics. I wonder if he still has a tent, stove, etc?

According to the sheriff, the weather is perfectly awful with no sign of improvement.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++