WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Blue Ridge Gap near the NC/GA border

Hi,

I wish to know if I can access Blue Ridge Gap from the western side of Charlie's Creek Rd. I cannot drive up Charlie's creek road because my car won't make it. Can I drive on Upper Hightower rd, then take Charlie's creek rd, park at the end of it where the paved section ends, and hike the remaining mile to Blue Ridge Gap?

Last time I tried this I arrived to a gate and a private property sign. I also didn't see any room for parking. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

I was picked up by a shuttle at the end of the paved road in February 2019, and waited there for about 90 minutes, so I explored a bit. There was some parking space available right past the paved section as you headed up the dirt road: the road had some pretty wide pieces within the first 50 or so yards, as I recall. When I came down to this spot from the trail I noted lots of deep ruts; I think it would be passable by a truck, but could easily damage a car. As I recall, there was not much if any shoulder on the paved section which would be suitable for parking.
    Trail name Catnapper

Thanks for your reply. Did you notice a gate at the end of the paved section? What worries me is that the last time I saw a gate and, if I remember correctly, a ''private property'' sign. That time I didn't want to take any chances and so I left. But before I let, I drove through the gate and there were a couple of houses and enough room to park, but I couldn't find anyone to ask.

Generally a closed gate and a "private property" sign are not indicative of a desire to provide parking.

My memory is a bit fuzzy, but I recall a gate OFF the unpaved section of the road up to the gap, going to a place off the road, maybe a quarter mile up from the paved end. I think there were several other private lots up on the unpaved section. As I recall it, the road up to the gap itself was not gated, just in very poor condition, especially near the top. I walked to the paved section from the AT, and was glad I didn't have to drive some of that section. If I were parking, I'd try parking near the beginning of the unpaved section.
    Trail name Catnapper

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TraiLizard View Post
    Hi,

I wish to know if I can access Blue Ridge Gap from the western side of Charlie's Creek Rd. I cannot drive up Charlie's creek road because my car won't make it. Can I drive on Upper Hightower rd, then take Charlie's creek rd, park at the end of it where the paved section ends, and hike the remaining mile to Blue Ridge Gap?

Last time I tried this I arrived to a gate and a private property sign. I also didn't see any room for parking. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
    if you need some info give me a shout. I have parking at my house if that helps or I can explain to you a little abou the area over there. this is what I do all day is run these roads and help hikers out. 7723210905 donald"grateful" ballard

++ New Posts ++