WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Another Article About Bear Canisters and Their Future on the AT

A few months ago, I posted about about an article in the ATC's magazine "Journeys" that talked about the coming of bear canisters to the AT. Now the Trek has posted an article here that goes into more detail. It seems clear that we are being prepped for what is coming - required bear canisters.

BTW. There is a pretty interesting video in the article of a bear trying to get into a bear box.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

It's funny to read about "resource protection" of black bears on the AT by using canisters and yet in TN bear hunters killed 760 black bears in 2018 and in my county of Monroe which contains Citico Creek wilderness and a few hundred miles of foot trails bear hunters have killed 131 black bears in 2018. So what's the point of using a bear canister to protect black bears when hunters are allowed to come out and kill them????

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    It's funny to read about "resource protection" of black bears on the AT by using canisters and yet in TN bear hunters killed 760 black bears in 2018 and in my county of Monroe which contains Citico Creek wilderness and a few hundred miles of foot trails bear hunters have killed 131 black bears in 2018. So what's the point of using a bear canister to protect black bears when hunters are allowed to come out and kill them????
    Wow! I didn't know that. In Florida where I live, a couple of years ago they held a bear hunt. As I recall the limit was 300-something bears. The hunters killed over three hundred in the first weekend and the hunt was called off. Because of the public outcry, no further bear hunts have been allowed.

Now if they can just stop the carnage cars are doing to the panthers here in Florida that would be a real accomplishment.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

There is no point. Some PR person is just desperately trying to come up with reasons to convince people to stop feeding bears by poor food storage practices which leads to more bear human interactions. In the vast majority of states the bear populations are over management levels. The problem is generally too many bears not to few.
    Last edited by peakbagger; 02-15-2020 at 17:30.

A very sad but excellent point. Hikers safe the bears so that a frustrated 9 to 5 guy can feel like a man by shooting an unarmed creature. Before anyone gives me a lecture, I am former spec ops with lots of combat experience. I do not shoot anything that’s unarmed or doesn’t otherwise pose an immediate risk to myself or others.

Let us never forget to defend our right to arm bears

Tipi dude, so correct but you forget that regulators are immune to common sense arguments.

Like Jordon Peterson says, the people making the rules are the last people that you would ever want to make the rules!

When a bear becomes a nusense bear, which it will once it starts scoring hiker food, it becomes a dead bear. Otherwise, it has a fair chance of avoiding the hunters.

So using canisters can save a bear from certian death. It will also save you from having to deal with a possibly aggressive bear in the mean time.

That said, I will resist using a canister as long as I can...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I don’t like the term nuisance bear. If anything we are the nuisance for entering and disturbing their territory. Not blaming you for this word in any way.
    I read a great book once were a couple from Canada went to Kamtschatka to proof that bears are not dangerous to humans as long as they never had a bad experience. All went well until hunters moved it. The giant grizzlies they have there became dangerous. To be honest , I would get ticked off too if anyone would start killing my friends and family.

I use an UrSack mostly for mice etc. I never had an issue with a bear in the woods just people from MA.

USFS in NC has proposed the use of bear canisters in National Forests there. With increased bear encounters it just a matter of time until canisters will be required in more locations along the AT.
    More walking, less talking.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by soilman View Post
    USFS in NC has proposed the use of bear canisters in National Forests there. With increased bear encounters it just a matter of time until canisters will be required in more locations along the AT.
    I would agree... bear canisters seem to be working well in places like Yosemite National Park that now requires them...
    Buy contrast, even though EVERY campsite in Great Smokey Mountains National Park, fools continue to not use them properly and we still produce problem bears in the park.
    But if people are REQUIRED to carry a canister, they are unlikely to carry it and not use it.

-

IMO a large influence on hunting law is that it generates revenue, fees, excise tax, and tourist spending - much more so than hikers ever will

not to mention 300 years ago bear encounters were rare, although the habitat was undoubtedly more favorable - why? unlimited hunting

I just picked one up but it wasn't for the protection of black bears, it was for the protection of my food from bear's, rodents, bugs, ect. I'm done with hangs (mainly cause of flying squirrels).
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

i hope they do consider this as an alternative (take from the article) “I can use a soft-sided bear bag.” Yes. There are IGBC-approved soft-sided bags on the market. Consider, though, that it needs to be properly secured to substantial objects so the bear can’t just carry it off, and that anything inside will be pretty much pulverized when a bear starts working on it. They are not rodent proof; it’s surprising how small a hole a mouse can get through.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

I am so relieved that the gov't is going to, once again, step in to protect me from both myself and an extremely rare risk of a dangerous bear encounter. I look forward to learning what my gov't will do to protect me from lightning, flash floods and rabid raccoons.

If they make it a requirement, I will not carry one of those big bulky things, but instead will continue to hang my food on the AT as I have been doing for 20 years w/o incident.

This isn't Yellowstone...
    Be Prepared

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloud View Post
    I am so relieved that the gov't is going to, once again, step in to protect me from both myself and an extremely rare risk of a dangerous bear encounter. I look forward to learning what my gov't will do to protect me from lightning, flash floods and rabid raccoons.

If they make it a requirement, I will not carry one of those big bulky things, but instead will continue to hang my food on the AT as I have been doing for 20 years w/o incident.

This isn't Yellowstone...
    Totally agree as I'm trying to imagine how I'd get 21 or 24 days worth of backpacking food into what? Four canisters? And where would I put all of these canisters? On a llama??

And if we get hit by lightning or stalked by angry raccoons the guvmint will close the forest permanently so no one breaks a nail. But if our diapers get full we're on our own.

Beyond all this---Ursack makes 30 liter kevlar bear sacks which are approved in the GSMNP which I assume would also apply to the length of the Appalachian Trail so no worries. A 30 liter bag could hold two weeks of food---so two bags would work for me even tho each sack weighs 15 ozs.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by LazyLightning View Post
    I just picked one up but it wasn't for the protection of black bears, it was for the protection of my food from bear's, rodents, bugs, ect. I'm done with hangs (mainly cause of flying squirrels).
    Ah, yes, the flying squirrel problem.
    Attached Images Attached Images

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

...Ursack makes 30 liter kevlar bear sacks which are approved in the GSMNP which I assume would also apply to the length of the Appalachian Trail so no worries. A 30 liter bag could hold two weeks of food---so two bags would work for me even tho each sack weighs 15 ozs.
    Curious about your source indicating kevlar bear sacks are approved for use in GSMNP?

The GSMNP Compendium of Rules and regulations only lists the cable system as an allowed food storage method in the back country (or hanging when cables are full or otherwise unavailable).

Now I'm not saying a ranger is going to write you a ticket if he catches you storing food in a bear canister... but I just don't know anything in writing allowing anything but the cables.

Ursack lists GSMNP as approving of a number of their products for food storage: https://ursack.com/pages/where-ursack-is-approved
    I'd ask at the backcountry office to confirm latest regulations.

Trail name Catnapper

Quote Originally Posted by FromNH View Post
    A very sad but excellent point. Hikers safe the bears so that a frustrated 9 to 5 guy can feel like a man by shooting an unarmed creature. Before anyone gives me a lecture, I am former spec ops with lots of combat experience. I do not shoot anything that’s unarmed or doesn’t otherwise pose an immediate risk to myself or others.
    Spec ops, neat. I'd be too scared to do combat like you. I do hunt for about 30% of our meat. 1-3 whitetails each year and a BB if I'm really lucky.
    Last edited by AsoloBootsSuk; 02-17-2020 at 09:43.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++