WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Another Article About Bear Canisters and Their Future on the AT

A few months ago, I posted about about an article in the ATC's magazine "Journeys" that talked about the coming of bear canisters to the AT. Now the Trek has posted an article here that goes into more detail. It seems clear that we are being prepped for what is coming - required bear canisters.

BTW. There is a pretty interesting video in the article of a bear trying to get into a bear box.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

It's funny to read about "resource protection" of black bears on the AT by using canisters and yet in TN bear hunters killed 760 black bears in 2018 and in my county of Monroe which contains Citico Creek wilderness and a few hundred miles of foot trails bear hunters have killed 131 black bears in 2018. So what's the point of using a bear canister to protect black bears when hunters are allowed to come out and kill them????

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    It's funny to read about "resource protection" of black bears on the AT by using canisters and yet in TN bear hunters killed 760 black bears in 2018 and in my county of Monroe which contains Citico Creek wilderness and a few hundred miles of foot trails bear hunters have killed 131 black bears in 2018. So what's the point of using a bear canister to protect black bears when hunters are allowed to come out and kill them????
    Wow! I didn't know that. In Florida where I live, a couple of years ago they held a bear hunt. As I recall the limit was 300-something bears. The hunters killed over three hundred in the first weekend and the hunt was called off. Because of the public outcry, no further bear hunts have been allowed.

Now if they can just stop the carnage cars are doing to the panthers here in Florida that would be a real accomplishment.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

There is no point. Some PR person is just desperately trying to come up with reasons to convince people to stop feeding bears by poor food storage practices which leads to more bear human interactions. In the vast majority of states the bear populations are over management levels. The problem is generally too many bears not to few.
    Last edited by peakbagger; 02-15-2020 at 17:30.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    There is no point. Some PR person is just desperately trying to come up with reasons to convince people to stop feeding bears by poor food storage practices which leads to more bear human interactions. In the vast majority of states the bear populations are over management levels. The problem is generally too many bears not to few.
    CORRECT!
    Bear management has increased the population. Longer hunting seasons could help this. If there were no hunting of the black bear, the bear/human interaction would be greater. I have seen bear on the trail, not once have they seemed interested in me except a quick glance. Generally, I smell them before I see or hear them.

A very sad but excellent point. Hikers safe the bears so that a frustrated 9 to 5 guy can feel like a man by shooting an unarmed creature. Before anyone gives me a lecture, I am former spec ops with lots of combat experience. I do not shoot anything that’s unarmed or doesn’t otherwise pose an immediate risk to myself or others.

Let us never forget to defend our right to arm bears

Quote Originally Posted by FromNH View Post
    A very sad but excellent point. Hikers safe the bears so that a frustrated 9 to 5 guy can feel like a man by shooting an unarmed creature. Before anyone gives me a lecture, I am former spec ops with lots of combat experience. I do not shoot anything that’s unarmed or doesn’t otherwise pose an immediate risk to myself or others.
    Spec ops, neat. I'd be too scared to do combat like you. I do hunt for about 30% of our meat. 1-3 whitetails each year and a BB if I'm really lucky.
    Last edited by AsoloBootsSuk; 02-17-2020 at 09:43.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by AsoloBootsSuk View Post
    Spec ops, neat. I'd be too scared to do combat like you. I do hunt for about 30% of our meat. 1-3 whitetails each year and a BB if I'm really lucky.
    LOL. Range flags up!
    nous défions

It's gonna be ok.

Ditch Medicine: wash your hands and keep your booger-pickers off your face!

Quote Originally Posted by FromNH View Post
    I do not shoot anything that’s unarmed or doesn’t otherwise pose an immediate risk to myself or others.
    I'll bet you eat it if it's from a restaurant or store though.
    MEGA '19

-

IMO a large influence on hunting law is that it generates revenue, fees, excise tax, and tourist spending - much more so than hikers ever will

not to mention 300 years ago bear encounters were rare, although the habitat was undoubtedly more favorable - why? unlimited hunting

Tipi dude, so correct but you forget that regulators are immune to common sense arguments.

Like Jordon Peterson says, the people making the rules are the last people that you would ever want to make the rules!

When a bear becomes a nusense bear, which it will once it starts scoring hiker food, it becomes a dead bear. Otherwise, it has a fair chance of avoiding the hunters.

So using canisters can save a bear from certian death. It will also save you from having to deal with a possibly aggressive bear in the mean time.

That said, I will resist using a canister as long as I can...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I don’t like the term nuisance bear. If anything we are the nuisance for entering and disturbing their territory. Not blaming you for this word in any way.
    I read a great book once were a couple from Canada went to Kamtschatka to proof that bears are not dangerous to humans as long as they never had a bad experience. All went well until hunters moved it. The giant grizzlies they have there became dangerous. To be honest , I would get ticked off too if anyone would start killing my friends and family.

I use an UrSack mostly for mice etc. I never had an issue with a bear in the woods just people from MA.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    When a bear becomes a nusense bear, which it will once it starts scoring hiker food, it becomes a dead bear. Otherwise, it has a fair chance of avoiding the hunters.

So using canisters can save a bear from certian death. It will also save you from having to deal with a possibly aggressive bear in the mean time.

Yeah. 2lbs. +

There's way more nuisance humans than there are nuisance bears throughout the trail corridors. Bring on the hard-sided food canister requirements, and if not, require a backcountry competency and ethics exam before allowing folks to overnight on our public lands.

Quote Originally Posted by August W. View Post
    There's way more nuisance humans than there are nuisance bears throughout the trail corridors. Bring on the hard-sided food canister requirements, and if not, require a backcountry competency and ethics exam before allowing folks to overnight on our public lands.
    Who would administer such an exam? Pay for it? Enforce? To be tax neutral, you'll need to create a back-country permit system. It's multi state, so you better go federal. Given the number of AT hikers and the required size of such a program, I think $250 per year per person would work. Neither humans or black bears are an endangered species, let God sort it out. We don't need more mumbo-jumbo regs. Just my opinion, YRMV
    Last edited by AsoloBootsSuk; 02-20-2020 at 12:19.

Who would administer such an exam? Pay for it? Enforce? To be tax neutral, you'll need to create a back-country permit system. It's multi state, so you better go federal. Given the number of AT hikers and the required size of such a program, I think $250 per year per person would work. Neither humans or black bears are an endangered species, let God sort it out. We don't need more mumbo-jumbo regs. Just my opinion, YRMV
    Since the AT is a National Park, why not do what they do in the Smokies?

#1---get every AT backpacker and/or thruhiker to pay $4 per night while on the trail.
    #2---set up an extensive list where a hiker must name every campsite he/she will stay at for the entire trip (this is what they do in the Smokies).
    #3---camp only at designated campsites.

There you go. I just destroyed any incentive or motivation to go backpacking.

THIS ^ exactly! Seriously, you can't honestly think the weekend party goers that drive up and trash the nearest shelter for a fun overnighter are going to take a test before they head out? So now, there's more regulations and a test on the ones that are doing it the right way to begin with? Competency and ethics exam to walk in the woods. Absolutely not. It's bad enough there's consideration where everyone must carry a bear canister because a few that can't seem to get the food storage thing right. No class or exam is going to keep someone from throwing wrappers trailside or in the fire pit, etc.. There's already a simple LNT which everyone already knows about but choose not to do it. One more thing comes to mind before I end my little rant... Oh look! There's a bear. Let's get as close as humanly possible to get that cell phone pic for everyone on Facebook/Instagram to see how cool and wild I am.
    Last edited by Christoph; 02-21-2020 at 10:39.
    - Trail name: Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post

Right on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++