WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Campsites between Docs Knob Shelter and Pearisburg

From Wapiti to Docs Knob is only 9.5 miles, and from Docs Knob to Rice Field is too long (16.1) to try to resupply at Pearisburg.
    There is a campsite with water listed in the AWOL .5 miles before Angels Rest, listed as .2 miles off the AT on a blue blaze trail. Any intel on this campsite as far as water available all year?; well marked on AT?

Any input appreciated . . .

Images

I hiked that area a few years back in April. We camped at Wapiti and the next night some of the people we camped with went to the campsite you listed and there was water and good campsites available. My group stopped a couple of miles south of that campsite at the power lines. We had to carry our water up, but it was a moonless night and we had nice starry sky views as well as valley lights on both side of the mountain. There are a few doable tent sites just a few feet north of the power lines. Plenty of hammock sites on both sides. On a separate hike we stayed at Rice Field and carried our water into that site. Beautiful valley views there as well.

Images

There is a spring in that area. I hiked through there twice and it had water both times. On one of the hikes, there was no water at Doc's Knob, but the spring a little south of Angel's Rest did have water. So I'd say the water is more reliable that that of Doc's Knob, for what that's worth. I'd guess that if there is no drought in the area according to the US Drought monitor that this spring would have water. The BB to the spring is well marked.

There are numerous flat spots to setup within a mile of Angel's Rest. Some of them in close proximity to some great views. I don't recall seeing the side trail to an official campsite though.

Sounds like maybe the BB trail is for the water and the campsite is on the same trail???
    Anyway, likely more than the noted campsite.
    Thanks guys . . .

Guthook only lists 2 campsites after Docs Knob. I have noticed campsites noted in Guthook are the only practical places to camp. If you want to know if there is anywhere to camp farther on, if there is it will be noted in the guide.

One of the small unofficial sites is only 0.6 miles on which is likely used mostly as overflow from Doc's knob, the other is 2.6 miles from Docs Knob. The second one at mile 1562.7 is commented as prone to being damp. So don't camp there if it is, has been or will be raining. No water, the next water is another 2.3 miles farther on and down 0.2 miles off the top of the ridge. It's also flagged as being unreliable.

Going the extra 2.6 miles will save you maybe a hour or so the next day. I don't think this will be enough of a time savings to get in and out of Pearisburg and make it to Rice Field. Maybe. Your still looking at a 16 mile day with a couple hour detour into town. At least there is a Food Lion a mile from the trail so you don't have to go all the way to Walmart, which is on the other end of town.

Personally, I'd just do the 19 miles to Pearisburg from Wapiti and stay at one of the hostels. That seems like a long day, but once you get to Docs Knob, it's not too far before you start to drop down into the river valley and it's been pretty level until then.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

++ New Posts ++