WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Water Availability in Maryland late August to mid September?

Can anyone advise on water availability from Pen Mar, PA to Rockfish Gap, VA (southern end of Shenandoah National Park) in the late summer (mid August to mid-September)? I have trail guides and data books with locations of water sources, but want to check that springs are not seasonal and so forth. Appreciate any guidance you may have for a possible 2021 section hike along this stretch. Thank you!

Best info will be in the notes of Guthook - highly recommend getting the app.

I’ve done all of this part, but I did it in October which is likely a bit drier than Aug-Sep. The southern part of Shenandoah south of the Loft Mountain campground/camp store had a few 10-15 mile dry stretches back when I hiked that area. I wanna say that Calf Mountain was bone dry when I passed it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's really hard to predict this far out. It all depends on how rainy it's been.

But checking the Guthook reports from last year, doesn't seem to be a problem for most of the water sources that time of year.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

++ New Posts ++