WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Default Replacement for MH Gore-Tex shell

Hey guys;
    I've got a (very) old Mountain Hardwear Classic Gore-Tex shell on which the main zipper became detached at the bottom, and most of the seam seal tape inside has detached.
    I sent the jacket to MH for warranty repair, but received it back unrepaired due to its age. They stated that their warranty doesn't cover failure of material due to normal lifetime. Well, it was 20 years old, so I guess that explains their decision.
    So now, I'm looking to replace this jacket/shell, but not sure what I should buy.
    According to a MH rep I contacted by chat on their website, the current equivalent would be the Exposure/2 Gore-Tex 3L Active jacket. It's selling for $255, on sale from $455 in their store.
    I also received an 'employee and friends' guest pass, which may give me a discount in their store, but I'll have to see what happens when I place something into the shopping cart.

What i really liked about the classic gore-tex shell is its waterproof and wind blocking. Compared to a much less expensive shell I own, the MH is significantly better at blocking wind, when wearing a MH fleece sweater under either garment.

So, I'm trying to decide whether to buy another shell, or get an insulated jacket this time.
    My main use is hiking and general winter activity (like walking the dog or shoveling snow), but I would also like to get back into skiing. I wore the MH jacket exclusively (with the fleece sweater) for skiing, and always felt comfortable.
    And of course there is the question of whether to stick with Mountain Hardwear, or go with another brand.

Thanks for your advice
    Arden

I'm in the same situation. My EMS Gortex shell also has peeling sealing tape and a zipper which has to be positioned just right to start the zip. I mostly use it in the winter, but I wear it every time I go outside from the time the snow starts to fly to when it melts, which is 4 or 5 months.

I really need to replace it but I really don't want to spend the $$$$! Maybe I can get another season out of it...

I had a North Face of similar vintage that was just plain wearing out. I picked up GoreTex ProShell LLBean jacket 2 years ago. It was a end of season markdown and I waiting until a 20% off weekend sale. Still expensive but I expect I will get similar life. Given my age I expect its the last high performance winter jacket I will need unless I am fortunate enough to be working on my winter 4000 footers over eighty patch.

I have always used an outer shell for winter so I can change up layers underneath.

Journal Entries

Unfortunately, supplies of everything are limited now. But prices are marked down - especially when I use the 'friends' guest pass at MH or Columbia.
    I'm now trying to decide between a MH Exposure/2 Gore-Tex 3L Active shell, or the Columbia Lhotse III Interchange Jacket. The Lhoste III is one of their 'interchange' jackets, which I think would serve me well.
    It's not Gore-Tex, but from what I have read, Columbia is a great brand; perhaps not as high-end as MH, but comparing prices (using friends pass), the Columbia is a better deal.
    I'm going to have to make my choice real soon, as supplies are definitely dwindling, and my discount pass expires on 2/26.

Edit: Or, maybe the Columbia Summit Crest III, or the Wild Card (more expensive than the other two Columbia). The Wild Card is also an 'interchange' jacket, and has a down insulation.
    Last edited by Arden; 02-11-2020 at 14:24.

I was in a similar situation with an older MH shell jacket. Loved it but it's plain wore out. Decided to buy a Montbell Storm Cruiser jacket. I've always liked Montbell products. First test is an upcoming AT section hike.

A few years back I was given an LL Bean Stowaway which is what I think of as traditional old-school gore-tex jacket with a mesh liner . It was something that I would not have purchased on my own - not the coolest, not the lightest, etc. etc. I've found it is my go to jacket as a shell or by itself for so many activities rainy or not. I have used gore tex renewal products on it successfully. When it fails I'll probably replace it with the same.

Journal Entries

After much research and indecision, I finally decided to go with the MH Exposure/2 Gore-Tex Pro. List price is $650, but with 'friends and family' discount, I paid $390.
    The main reason I went with the Pro, vs one of the less expensive MH shells is that I would like to keep this jacket for 20 years, as I did my previous MH shell, and the Pro is more durable than the others.
    I had thought about one of the Columbia 'interchange' jackets, but decided that I probably wouldn't use the feature much, and I have had such a good experience with the MH, and I didn't think I would get another chance to purchase the MH 'Pro' at such a good price again anytime soon.

++ New Posts ++