WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thumbs up New lodge opening in central PA

The Thunderhead Lodge will be opening this April 2020!
    (484) 274-0326

https://www.facebook.com/thunderheadlodgepa/

Situated half-way between Allentown and Bake Oven Knob shelters, and just off the trail in Andreas, PA (Rt 309 crossing - mi 1248 NB). One of the owners, Steve and I talked about his plans. They hope to open a small supplies, snack and coffee shop, a full service restaurant with indoor and outdoor dining, great food, seasonal BBQ, live music, local tenting and a few B&B style rooms with soft beds (for rent), hot showers and laundry available.

The site was previously the Summit and before that, the Blue Mountain Lodge. The new owners are working to complete a full renovation/restoration of the building. Meredith and Steve are really great people that look forward to meeting and providing for the thru-hiking community.
    ...just a regular guy
    Stomping around in the woods allows me to lose the stresses of everyday life while finding myself

http://www.summitpost.org/show/mount...untain_id/5055

Mods - can the original post be converted to a Sticky Ad through April?
    ...just a regular guy
    Stomping around in the woods allows me to lose the stresses of everyday life while finding myself

Images

Thanks for the post. Heading up that way later this year. Couldn't find any recent info on whether that place was still open or if it was hiker friendly. Now that I know the answer to both is yes, I'm looking forward to checking it out!
    It's all good in the woods.

Is this the Bed and Breakfast/Restaurant/Bar that would allow hikers to camp in the yard? If so, Snacktime and I stayed there in 2014 and it was delightful. Pretty sure it was the Blue Mountain Lodge at that time and have been looking forward to getting to that point in my PA section to revisit it. Very glad to hear it's active.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

This could be a good option instead of the Allentown shelter. It's just a couple of miles farther along. Depending on where you spent the night before, it could also be a lunch stop.

Gets you a little closer to Palmerton too. Although Palmerton is a better overnight stay with all the services right there. And with a Restaurant/hostel too. I did the 18 miles from Allentown to Palmerton last spring, pretty easy section all in all.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    Is this the Bed and Breakfast/Restaurant/Bar that would allow hikers to camp in the yard? If so, Snacktime and I stayed there in 2014 and it was delightful. Pretty sure it was the Blue Mountain Lodge at that time and have been looking forward to getting to that point in my PA section to revisit it. Very glad to hear it's active.
    Yes, same place. A buddy and I camped out back during a section hike in ‘17. The owners at the time were very accommodating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    YES!...under new ownership....these people are really friendly and looking forward to being there for us hikers!
    ...just a regular guy

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    This could be a good option instead of the Allentown shelter. It's just a couple of miles farther along. Depending on where you spent the night before, it could also be a lunch stop.

Gets you a little closer to Palmerton too. Although Palmerton is a better overnight stay with all the services right there. And with a Restaurant/hostel too. I did the 18 miles from Allentown to Palmerton last spring, pretty easy section all in all.
    Yeah, but as I remember that climb out of Palmerton was pretty steep.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Yeah, but as I remember that climb out of Palmerton was pretty steep.
    Which is why it's best done in the morning.

My last couple of hikes through there I ended up at Allentown shelter and cross 309 pretty early the next morning. Get to Palmerton late afternoon and head for the dinner.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

++ New Posts ++