WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Slideshow - Long Trail and more

For those who are fans of Vermont in general and the Long Trail in particular, you might enjoy this slideshow. Most of the scenes are from my 2 LT thruhikes. There's also some pics of the non-LT portion of the AT and other parts of the state.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRBD6vnGG5g&t=24s

Wow, really great presentation! Awesome pictures thanks so much for sharing. I stayed at the long trail inn last president day week last year for some snow shoeing and skiing at pico camp. Great place to stay. Them ladder climbs look challenging? Is the trail challenging as it looks? What time of year did you go and how long did it take?sorry for so many questions but it's on my bucket list. And that full moon wow!!

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Nice! So many familiar spots.

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    Wow, really great presentation! Awesome pictures thanks so much for sharing. I stayed at the long trail inn last president day week last year for some snow shoeing and skiing at pico camp. Great place to stay. Them ladder climbs look challenging? Is the trail challenging as it looks? What time of year did you go and how long did it take?sorry for so many questions but it's on my bucket list. And that full moon wow!!
    The Long Trail is the hardest trail you're likely to hike. It's the readers digest version of the AT - mostly the hard parts. 3-4 weeks is typical.

One looks like fall, mid September to mid October, the other early summer. With a few winter hikes thrown in.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Thanks slo, yes from the looks of the slide show it looks like 1 tuff hike, with a few ladder climbs thrown in. Looks like a fun challenge, I'll save the rest of my questions for later. I have my hiking trips planned for this year, I only have so many vacation days. So many hikes , so much to see and experience. That whole work thing getting in the way. 6 years to go to retirement then adventure time full time!

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    Thanks for your comments! Can't respond to all of them now. I've done 3 end-to-end hikes of the LT. One a 5 year section hike, one an inside-out thru hike in 2007, and most recently I hiked the entire trail in 2017 over a 4 month period - easy logistically since I am retired and living in VT.

As Slo said, the northern part is rigorous. Most of the ladders are around Mansfield. Even after Manfield, the remainder has some difficult stretches e.g. Belvedere to Hazen's Notch.

Later...

Thanks Cooker! I guess it's been a while since I've been on this website, but I'm glad you posted the link here. There are some great images. Some of them bring back memories from my own trips. It was great seeing you again in 2017 when we both did E2Es and I'm grateful for the assist. I came back for a 6th E2E in 2019. It was rougher than the others, I ended up in an ER in Morrisville with a toe infection. Thanks to help from dear friend in Hyde Park (who drove me to and from the ER) I still managed to finish on time.

I had one amazing experience in 2019, coming down from Camel's Hump to Bamforth Shelter late in the day - watching the sun set over the Lake, the moon rising behind me, and the lights coming on in Burlington and all over the towns down below. I don't think I can find time to do the whole trial this year, but I'm going to try to replicate that evening experience and bring some friends along.

very nicely done!

++ New Posts ++