WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Cleaning filter tubes

At home, what would you use to clean water filter tubes. I have a Katadyn filter, which I love. Vinegar, bleach? hydrogen peroxide? There is no apparent mold in my tubes. Thx.
    Shoestring
    http://www.trailjournals.com/joefryfry
    Finishing the AT sometime in 2037.

I clean my Sawyer Squeeze with the bleach solution in the instructions, first. Then use vinegar to backflush to dissolve minerals. I have had one that had enough mineral deposits that it almost didn't flow at all. Cleaning with vinegar solved it. When storing I clean it first, then when I get it back out I rinse it thoroughly with clear water.

I got a very long bottle brush from an auto parts store. 1/4 inch circumference on the bottle bristles. After a hike, I run that in from both ends of any hydration tubes and such. You can use that with bleach or vinegar or what ever you need.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

I backwash my Katahdyn base camp filter (bag) before each season...take out the cartridge, soak the bag, filter and hoses in hot water then run cold water through in reverse for 3 minutes...replace the filter in the bag, then run one bag of cold water through the reassembled filter bag and hoses.

You get more mileage from a cheap pair of sneakers...
    ...just a regular guy
    Stomping around in the woods allows me to lose the stresses of everyday life while finding myself

http://www.summitpost.org/show/mount...untain_id/5055

Journal Entries

I just backwash it (sawyer). What does the manufacturer recommend, I would tend to go with that unless there is a reason to disobey.

The long skinny brush is handy for tubing https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/produ...AaAnxkEALw_wcB
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

For the tube on my Camelbak, I use the long skinny brush. I clean the bladder with the disinfection tablet that the manufacturer recommends - I think it's actually Polident - and drain the bladder through the tube before rinsing them both, so the tube gets exposed to the disinfectant also.

My Sawyer Squeeze, I replace once a season anyway, since there's no good way to test the filter integrity and the things are just twenty bucks or so.

I have an MSR pump filter, but I haven't used it in quite a while - the Sawyer is lighter, and I don't find that the convenience of throwing the hose in the stream rather than dipping the water out of it is worth the extra weight. Maybe the balance would shift if I were treating the water for more than just me.

When I'm Out There, I make sure that I use Aqua Mira at least every few days, which does a good job at inhibiting biofilm growth on the bladder and hose. Water freshly treated with Aqua Mira isn't too bad for backwashing the filter - it gets at least some chlorine in there.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

++ New Posts ++