WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: rain kilts

Images

Default rain kilts

Can anyone recommend a good rain kilt? Your reasons for your choice are helpful, as I am looking to buy one. Thanks everyone!
    Long-distance aspirations with short-distance feet.... :jump

I have a zpacks one. I like that the zipper stays put and doesn't migrate while you are walking. It is a good size to use as a ground mat in your vestibule area. DCF makes it easy to repair with tape if it should get a tear (though mine has not had this happen yet).

I have a Lightheart gear rain kilt. It's light, waterproof, velcro closure for ease of use and adjustability and is affordable.

My wife sewed me on from an old silnylon tarp. She put Velcro adjusters for my waist. I cinch them up tighter as I under-eat …

Leonidas

I use the zpacks rain kilt after using a DIY tyvek one. The tyvek eventually wet through and had holes so I decided to move to dcf since I was going that direction for tent and pack. It has worked excellent and the zipper makes it really nice to adjust for a shorter or longer stride.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Mine is the ULA Equipment model. Not much to say - it does the job, has an elastic waist band and velcro closure. Light, tough, not too expensive, sexy as all get out.

I have an Enlightened Equipment rain wrap. It’s good but I need to sew or glue on a Velcro tab to keep the 2 halves from blowing open in a good wind.

The kilts are small, light, and easy to put on/off without removing boots. It’s great for summer storms. In colder weather I use rain pants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the EE rain wrap. Bought it because it is lighter, simpler, and less expensive than the ZPacks ones that I originally planned to get(I like those, too). No velcro, which I hate, and removed most others from consideration.
    Quick and easy to get on, though mine has barely seen enough use to bear mentioning. So far, just light rains for up to ~45 minutes. I keep it in the pocket of my rain jacket, which gets rolled into the hood.

btw, I cut an old towel to the listed dimensions, so I could get an idea of how it would work for me, before buying. I'm short, with a 30" inseam, and the size Medium comes below my knees.

received_584415849028925.jpeg

Images

Quote Originally Posted by OwenM View Post
    I have the EE rain wrap. Bought it because it is lighter, simpler, and less expensive than the ZPacks ones that I originally planned to get(I like those, too). No velcro, which I hate, and removed most others from consideration.
    Quick and easy to get on, though mine has barely seen enough use to bear mentioning. So far, just light rains for up to ~45 minutes. I keep it in the pocket of my rain jacket, which gets rolled into the hood.

btw, I cut an old towel to the listed dimensions, so I could get an idea of how it would work for me, before buying. I'm short, with a 30" inseam, and the size Medium comes below my knees.

received_584415849028925.jpeg
    Thanks for posting the photo. I went with this one as I am also short. Thanks to all for your input.
    Long-distance aspirations with short-distance feet.... :jump

Doesn’t it get in the way steep uphills? What about crawling under blowdowns?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jurahd View Post
    Doesn’t it get in the way steep uphills? What about crawling under blowdowns?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I had a Zpacks rain kilt and found it too restrictive if I were going up hills. Eventually, I slipped a bit on a wet rock, took a long stride to catch myself and ripped the zipper right off the skirt. Now it's used for sitting on. I'm good with rain pants but, may try a larger kilt again.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I've used a ULA kilt for many years. The closures are velcro so if necessary i just don't attach the bottom closure for a larger stride. I've also found kilts surprisingly warm. The convenience of removing and putting back on during intermittent rains is the primary draw for me. You do get wet from calf down but honestly once my feet are wet the calves being wet isn't an issue for me.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Here are a couple of different versions. I used several of them.

1. I always liked the Etowah's (they use to make them for other cottage manufacturers years ago). Also check out their bright orange rain covers as they are great for hunting season or paved road walks when you want to be highly visible. I like the large adjustment of the waistband. The velcro along the side holds nice but will give if needed under stress. Plenty of room for normal movement. The regular size comes down to my ankles and leaves only a few inches at the bottom of my pants to get wet. They do make longer versions. For tall steps or jumping to a far rock, you may want to pull the velcro apart first (or at least hike the skirt up).
    2. ULA's current design is very similar to Etowahs so my comments would be the same.
    3. Mountain Laurel designs is a very nice one. Uses snaps instead of velcro, but you don't have to use the snaps along the side (and it won't automatically close like velcro will when it catches even once), so it can be a true warp around kilt and extend as much as you want it too when separating your legs. You can of course snap it shut and there is still enough room for most hiking, except when needing to step up high or jump to a rock (which is why I normally leave it unsnapped). Their lengths are more like a true kilt length so it's great for over shorts or a hiking kilt, not so great for over long pants in colder weather. So I use this rain skirt for warmer weather hiking only and stick with the Etowah one I have when needing one that covers long pants.
    4. I use to like zpack's design which was a true wrap around until they changed it to the current zipper design which I don't like as I want whatever holds the wrap together to give under stress without damage as I have had to unexpectedly overextend what I was wearing more than once. I unfortunately lost my old version on the JMT as it fell out somewhere or I'd still be using it. Though I like the cuben fiber, I wouldn't buy their current design for the reasons given.
    5. Lightheart Gear's, I've never used them, but the one I saw was very well made.

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    I've used a ULA kilt for many years. The closures are velcro so if necessary i just don't attach the bottom closure for a larger stride. I've also found kilts surprisingly warm. The convenience of removing and putting back on during intermittent rains is the primary draw for me. You do get wet from calf down but honestly once my feet are wet the calves being wet isn't an issue for me.
    I always used mine with rain gaiters. Lighter than rain pants and breathes more. I prefer Velcro because it cuts loose rather than tears.

confession. I’m finally packing rain pants. Will see how they work out.

Default rain kilts

Rain pants were very handy after a huge spring snow storm in the smokies twice(!) crawling under blowdowns. Also in pouring rain it’s nice to sit down on a log.

I just purchased a Zpacks vertice kilt.It fits well but strikes me as being fragile,ditto for the matching gaiters.Anybody care to comment on the durability of Vertice rain gear?

Zpacks. It worked surprisingly well on many rainy days. Very lightweight. Your body heat increases the temp. under the rain kilt. That lowers the relative humidity a bit and you actually dry your pants even in cold, drizzly rain.

The DCF is nice. Also used it as a ground sheet for sitting and resting/eating. Quite honestly, even a plastic garbage bag could do the same job but it won’t last nearly as long as DCF.

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    Same here. There may be better options out their, but ULA raink kilt has worked for me for several years and thousands of miles.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

If anyone is looking for more details on the EE Rain Wrap I did a Trailspace review on it when it first came out in '17. Been riding in my raincoat pocket ever since. Well, except when I wear it

DSC01196a.JPG

https://www.trailspace.com/gear/enli...p/#review37657
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

Great thread discussion, thanks for all the research. I ordered one.
    .com

++ New Posts ++